Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
suzushii

Diet + derma creams + cutting out potential allergens + ????

Ok, so I tried commercial topicals and they were crap (boy did I not know a lot of stuff then).

I tried Naproxen - no to little effect.

I tried BP and I'm allergic (and yes, I applied it veeery gradually and got an allergic reaction nonetheless).

I tried Zinc 200% RDA - seemed to work when I got a clear phase. But then that passed and I continued with cystic ALL the time, not just before my period.

I've had the same red angry inflamed cystic spots on one cheek for a week at least. When one goes away another takes it's place.I also have an occasional 1-2 on the chin, and some smaller ones on the other cheek. And LOTS of scars. I'm so freaking SICK of it. Here's what I'm doing now, and if this doesn't work (I'll give it 3 months) I think I'll stop trying to cure my skin with non-damaging stuff and just go for Accutane or BCP:

Diet - only home-made food, fruit and vegetables make out 80% of diet, little meat, one cube of brown sugar a day AT MOST. NO DAIRY. NO JUNK WHATSOEVER. A slice of bread a day AT MOST. Small servings of flax seed, pumpkin seeds. Spices: cinnamon, cumin, fresh ginger. Plenty of herbal tea (centered on mint), and 1-2 green teas. ACV occasionally.

Treatment:Isotrexin (it's retin a coupled with an antibiotic) - once a week (at night), progressing towards 2 times a week. 100000 IU vitamin A/day. Skinoren on the nights when I don't apply Isotrexin. Washing with non-soap only once a day, and otherwise just water.

Other supplements: B complex

Exercise - bike, walking

I'm thinking to buy an expensive organic detergent just for my bed covers and pillow covers, because I have acne predominantly on one side of the face. The side I sleep on. Could I be allergic to my detergent?

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?

Unless you have an intolerance to gluten or anything else that diet should be good. I'd consider following an elimination plan to determine if you have any intolerances or allergies. The severe cystic acne I used to have turned out to be an allergy to citrus, btw.

Do you eat a lot of sulfur containing veggies? Not only are the sulfur compounds extremely anti-inflammatory and good for liver function, they are used by the body to make Taurine, an important amino acid that's specifically beneficial to acne and blood sugar metabolism.

As for what else...

Unless you have an intolerance to gluten or anything else that diet should be good. I'd consider following an elimination plan to determine if you have any intolerances or allergies. The severe cystic acne I used to have turned out to be an allergy to citrus, btw.

You're actually the reason why I did start this diet which is slowly going to go into an elimination diet :ninja: . Now that I've been eating like this for a week, I can see my energy levels are fine (though I'm dropping weight)and I can safely eliminate that last piece of bread as well.

My big problem is - if oranges can be a factor for someone, then anything's game right? So what do I eat that's safely not allergenic? I have opted for apples, pears which are recommended for an elimination diet. I've added bananas and kiwis and grapes, since I rarely eat them, so I doubt they're a factor. I rarely eat fish, so fish is in.

But I'm also eating: eggs, chicken, salmon, tuna, tomatoes, onion, garlic, cucumbers, peppers, hot peppers, radishes, salad, cauliflower, jasmin brown rice, regular brown rice, beans, green peas, mushrooms, sunflower seed oil, sesame oil, ACV, cumin, cinammon, pepper, pumpkin seeds, linnen seeds (ground), etc.

Should I eliminate any of these for the stage of checking if my face improves?

Do you eat a lot of sulfur containing veggies? Not only are the sulfur compounds extremely anti-inflammatory and good for liver function, they are used by the body to make Taurine, an important amino acid that's specifically beneficial to acne and blood sugar metabolism.

Considering I'm eating eggs and fish, those contain more sulphur then even the high sulphur containing vegetables.

Heh, I've used that as a shopping list :surprised: . Thanks for the help.

Just wanted to add what 1 week of this crazy eating did to me:

dropping pounds - I was at a healthy weight before (125pounds, 5'4"), but I did have a bigger belly then I was happy with. It's gone.

my bacne is strangely gone (it's done this before for no reason, so I ain't opening the champagne just yet).

I had low blood pressure before, but now it's LOW all the time (like 100&60).

My stomach started out a bit bloated from the big fiber content change, which was then followed by a purgative effect, but now it's calm. And flat.Occasional rumbling, which is pretty funny because it's LOUD.

Face is... eliminating comedones. While the cystic spots are finally reaching the surface and getting a head, I sometimes find myself brushing something off my face, and turns out it's a little pore plug half hanging out of my skin. Sometimes I gently wash my face with water, and I find another one completely out. Some deeper bumps seem to edge towards the surface. The superficial ones are rarified. Face feels normal, not dry, scars are still red and pigmentated. I still have two cystic acne that's still deeep underground, though they're not inflamed or painful to the touch anymore. All in all, I can't call any obvious good change, but inflammantion is definitely gone down considerably.

My big problem is - if oranges can be a factor for someone, then anything's game right? So what do I eat that's safely not allergenic? I have opted for apples, pears which are recommended for an elimination diet. I've added bananas and kiwis and grapes, since I rarely eat them, so I doubt they're a factor. I rarely eat fish, so fish is in.

There's a list of foods few people have an an intolerance to and info on elimination diets here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2356573

Good Luck. And glad to hear all the good your diet's doing.