Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnejean

Resveratrol capable of inhibiting P. acnes growth

No idea if this has been posted or not nor do I care since the long threads I skimmed through sounded way too science experiment for me :wacko: and wanted it out in plain english. I have seen resveratrol all over the talk shows and news lately.

http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstract.bme/...bacterium_acnes

OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the effects of the anti-inflammatory hydroxystilbene, resveratrol, on Propionibacterium acnes growth. METHODS: Three different strains of P. acnes were tested against resveratrol at concentrations between 0 and 200 mg/L. Piceatannol was included as a second hydroxystilbene to compare with resveratrol, and erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide were used as positive controls. RESULTS: After 24 h of treatment with resveratrol, the average 50% inhibitory concentration (IC(50)) was 73 mg/L and the average 100% inhibitory concentration (IC(100)) was 187 mg/L for the three strains of P. acnes tested. The IC(50) and IC(100) of piceatannol were 123 and 234 mg/L, respectively. The highest concentration of resveratrol tested (200 mg/L) was bactericidal, whereas lower concentrations were bacteriostatic. CONCLUSIONS: Resveratrol, an anti-inflammatory hydroxystilbene, is capable of inhibiting P. acnes growth.

I don't know about you, but I plan on ordering this soon.

Here's my thread on resveratrol. It has helped me immensely and am considering making a topical formula. It seems that (topical) is what the article is referring to.