Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oli girl

'Accutane debate placeholder thread'

"the poison".....no bias at all *sarcasm*

You JUST said,

"for every Accutane box you open there is a thick warning manual that explains the effects and or possible effects of Accutane"
Where's the freedom in you telling others what to do?

I am informing the uninformed, I don't tell anyone what to do, but if people don't understand the real risks of the drug ( most don't ), then I will inform them with full information, it should be of interest, so they can stay away from the poison, and save their future

But the information you're supplying is clearly biased. That's not helpful. Supplying information is one thing. Pushing your opinion (whether it's based on facts or not) is another.

It is not biased at all, there is truth in thiS, and science that is publicly avaliable is slowly moving forward, so sooner or later accutane will be gone and then you will see that i was right, i decided to research accutane for the past 2 years because of the harm it did to me, and some of my friends, so i know quite a bit about it, my goal is Accutane to be only prescribed to the most severe nodular acne as a last resort, not some miracle drug that can cure anyone, .the license of distribution states for severe acne only, but what happened 80% of prescriptions went to mild/moderate acne.. good for sales though

I am informing the uninformed, I don't tell anyone what to do, but if people don't understand the real risks of the drug ( most don't ), then I will inform them with full information, it should be of interest, so they can stay away from the poison, and save their future

But the information you're supplying is clearly biased. That's not helpful. Supplying information is one thing. Pushing your opinion (whether it's based on facts or not) is another.

It is not biased at all, there is truth in this matter, and science that is publicly avaliable is slowly moving forward, so sooner or later accutane will be gone and then you will see that i was right

You just called Accutane poison and claimed that you were trying to steer people away from it to "save their future". I hate to break it to you, but that's biased. You're basing the information you offer on the reaction you want. You want people to stay away from Accutane, so you offer information on all the negative aspects of the drug. There's also information out there that shows that Accutane helps a lot of people, but that's not helpful to your cause, so you tend to leave anything positive about Accutane out.

That's not going to help anyone make any informed decisions. Only telling people half the story doesn't do them any favors.

It is not biased at all, there is truth in this matter, and science that is publicly avaliable is slowly moving forward, so sooner or later accutane will be gone and then you will see that i was right

You just called Accutane poison and claimed that you were trying to steer people away from it to "save their future". I hate to break it to you, but that's biased. You're basing the information you offer on the reaction you want. You want people to stay away from Accutane, so you offer information on all the negative aspects of the drug. There's also information out there that shows that Accutane helps a lot of people, but that's not helpful to your cause, so you tend to leave anything positive about Accutane out.

That's not going to help anyone make any informed decisions. Only telling people half the story doesn't do them any favors.

Accutane has destroyed and ruined millions, and it has saved millions from acne which is a non deadly condition. Happy? A patient with acne, is not a patient with a deadly disease, it is a patient with normal health, except one condition : acne

Basically you are saying it is ok for a drug to destroy millions, just because it saved millions from an emotional pain, unless ofcourse its severe cystic conglobata acne.

Accutane has destroyed and ruined millions, and it has saved millions from acne which is a non deadly condition. Happy? A patient with acne, is not a patient with a deadly disease, it is a patient with normal health, except one condition : acne

Basically you are saying it is ok for a drug to destroy millions, just because it saved millions from an emotional pain, unless ofcourse its severe cystic conglobata acne.

Please don't put words into my mouth, thank you.

And what I'm saying is that if people are informed (whether by a medical professional or through their own research, preferably both) of both the possible positive and negative affects of Accutane, and make an informed decision to take it, I don't see what the problem is.

People are given medications for non-life threatening conditions every single day. Why should acne be any different?

And what I'm saying is that if people are informed (whether by a medical professional or through their own research, preferably both) of both the possible positive and negative affects of Accutane, and make an informed decision to take it, I don't see what the problem is.

People are given medications for non-life threatening conditions every single day. Why should acne be any different?

I understand that, but if you were in my position you would do all you can do to prevent innocents from being harmed. And furthermore, it is my right to freedom of speech which millions of others have suffered for as well.

And yes, however accutane is the most dangerous product on the market and it is being handed out for a non deadly condition, other drugs that are this dangerous go to patients with deadly conditions

The dose you, or whoever takes Accutane is 100 times recommended the dose of vitamin a, AKA very very very harmful

For the Accutane nay-sayers:

Tell me why I should listen to you (What are your credentials? Are you a doctor?) over my doctor/dermatologist who has a medical degree and have recommended Accutane to me? The bottom line is that peoples doctors are telling them to go on Accutane - that it can help them (and in most cases it does).

It's really not a debate. It is negligent for you to come on this forum and openly tell people to disobey the advice of their health professionals, when you have no background in medicine.

If you have a problem with the advice that doctors are giving to their patients, or more specifically prescribing Accutane, then you have a bigger problem then can be taken care of by posting on this acne forum. You need to get off your computers and write some letters and seek a lawyer.

When it comes to a prescription medicine like Accutane, it really isn't a joke. Just remember that it is ILLEGAL to give medical advice of this nature unless you are a registered MD.

Tell me why I should listen to you (what are your credentials? Degree?) over my doctor/dermatologist who has a medical degree and have recommended Accutane to me?

If you are going to say that these doctors are misinformed/corrupt then you most certainly have a bigger problem in your hands then you can tackle by just posting on an acne forum.

The bottom line is that peoples doctors are telling them to go on Accutane - that it can help them (and in most cases it does). It is foolish and negligent of you to tell them to defy their advice when you have little to no background in medicine.

Because I have firsthand experience in taking the drug. Just because you've read books on sky diving and seen multiple videos for years does not make you a certified sky diving instructor. Please, feel free to ask your dermatologist if he/she has taken the drug and or would prescribe it to their children without trying all possible topical medications first.

ASk your dermatoligist if accutane modifies gene transcription/gene expression and see how much he/she really knows, or better yet ask if it's used as a treatment for high-risk brain cancer

I understand that, but if you were in my position you would do all you can do to prevent innocents from being harmed. And furthermore, it is my right to freedom of speech which millions of others have suffered for as well.

And yes, however accutane is the most dangerous product on the market and it is being handed out for a non deadly condition, other drugs that are this dangerous go to patients with deadly conditions

The dose you, or whoever takes Accutane is 100 times recommended the dose of vitamin a, AKA very very very harmful

Please don't presume to know what I would do. And no one has stood in your way as far as free speech goes.

I understand that you want people to be aware of the possible side effects of taking Accutane, and I'm sure that your heart is in the right place. I just think that your overzealous approach on "educating" people might not be the best way you could go about it. People don't only want to know part of the story, and when you play up the negatives and play down the positives, you actually end up hurting your own credibility.

I understand fully that Accutane has some possible side effects that are quite serious. But they're possible side effects, not definite side effects. Who are you to steer someone away from something that could be a boon to their life because of the possibility that things may not go perfectly?

And Accutane isn't the only drug on the market with possibly serious side effects that's prescribed for a non-deadly condition. Birth control pills, for example, can possibly cause blood clots, heart attacks, and strokes, and yet are prescribed every day, often for no condition other than a desire to not get pregnant.

Please don't presume to know what I would do. And no one has stood in your way as far as free speech goes.

I understand that you want people to be aware of the possible side effects of taking Accutane, and I'm sure that your heart is in the right place. I just think that your overzealous approach on "educating" people might not be the best way you could go about it. People don't only want to know part of the story, and when you play up the negatives and play down the positives, you actually end up hurting your own credibility.

I understand fully that Accutane has some possible side effects that are quite serious. But they're possible side effects, not definite side effects. Who are you to steer someone away from something that could be a boon to their life because of the possibility that things may not go perfectly?

And Accutane isn't the only drug on the market with possibly serious side effects that's prescribed for a non-deadly condition. Birth control pills, for example, can possibly cause blood clots, heart attacks, and strokes, and yet are prescribed every day, often for no condition other than a desire to not get pregnant.

is birth control ranked as the top 4th dangerous drug on the market and only 1/100 side effects ever get reported? Don't think so :naughty:

Tell me why I should listen to you (what are your credentials? Degree?) over my doctor/dermatologist who has a medical degree and have recommended Accutane to me?

If you are going to say that these doctors are misinformed/corrupt then you most certainly have a bigger problem in your hands then you can tackle by just posting on an acne forum.

The bottom line is that peoples doctors are telling them to go on Accutane - that it can help them (and in most cases it does). It is foolish and negligent of you to tell them to defy their advice when you have little to no background in medicine.

Because I have firsthand experience in taking the drug. Just because you've read books on sky diving and seen multiple videos for years does not make you a certified sky diving instructor. Please, feel free to ask your dermatologist if he/she has taken the drug and or would prescribe it to their children without trying all possible topical medications first.

ASk your dermatoligist if accutane modifies gene transcription/gene expression and see how much he/she really knows, or better yet ask if it's used as a treatment for high-risk brain cancer

Right, then what you really have is a problem with the doctor(s). You need to hire a lawyer or form a group and take action. Your not going to solve anything by posting on this forum.

All I am saying is that people do and SHOULD take the advice of a medical professional, and it is negligent/illegal for you to come on this board and tell them to defy the orders/advice of their doctor without being licensed.

Right, then what you really have is a problem with the doctor(s). You need to hire a lawyer or form a group and take action. Your not going to solve anything by posting on this forum.

All I am saying is that people do and SHOULD take the advice of a medical professional, and it is negligent/illegal for you to come on this board and tell them to defy the orders/advice of their doctor.

I dont need to hire a lawyer its alread y been done for me, national class action lawsuits has already started, over 10 groups have emerged around the world since accutane's release in 1982, many dedicated to the sufferers of long term side effects from Accutane and roche's frauds/consultants and doctors they paid off, another thing birth control lacks

http://www.accutaneaction.com/adr/index.html

is birth control ranked as the top 4th dangerous drug on the market and only 1/100 side effects ever get reported? Don't think so :naughty:

Accutane's rank has no effect on whether or not it works.

Tell me why I should listen to you (What are your credentials? Are you a doctor?) over my doctor/dermatologist who has a medical degree and have recommended Accutane to me? The bottom line is that peoples doctors are telling them to go on Accutane - that it can help them (and in most cases it does).

It's really not a debate. It is negligent for you to come on this forum and openly tell people to disobey the advice of their health professionals, when you have no background in medicine.

If you have a problem with the advice that doctors are giving to their patients, or more specifically prescribing Accutane, then you have a bigger problem then can be taken care of by posting on this acne forum. You need to get off your computers and write some letters and seek a lawyer.

When it comes to a prescription medicine like Accutane, it really isn't a joke. Just remember that it is ILLEGAL to give medical advice of this nature unless you are a registered MD.

Alot of people ask for advise on this board regarding accutane, and alot respond pro or against accutane. Alot come on here to see if thier doctor is telling them the truth and ask about medical advise and about side effects thier having,

So I guess when anyone answers it is ILLEGAL right? Pro accutane or Not. No one on here is a registerd M.D., but they answer.....

good ex: one poster mentioned that he was on mino and accutane and his derm wanted to knock out his acne, fortunatly I saw that post..Lucky for him, he could of gotten pusedo tumor, It's advised in the documents against tertracyclines and accutane. Why didn't his doctor know this?

rest my case.

Alot of people ask for advise on this board regarding accutane, and alot respond pro or against accutane. Alot come on here to see if thier doctor is telling them the truth and ask about medical advise and about side effects thier having,

So I guess when anyone answers it is ILLEGAL right? Pro accutane or Not. No one on here is a registerd M.D., but they answer.....

good ex: one poster mentioned that he was on mino and accutane and his derm wanted to knock out his acne, fortunatly I saw that post..Lucky for him, he could of gotten pusedo tumor, It's advised in the documents against tertracyclines and accutane. Why didn't his doctor know this?

rest my case.

There may be some cases where people are giving medical advice, but it does not make it any less illegal. If you read carefully, in the terms of service when signing up for this site that the content provided on this site are opinions only (this is Acne.org covering their behinds).

You can give your opinion and personal experience with a drug but you must state CLEARLY that it is of your own opinion and you are not a licensed professional. You should also always direct them to seek professional help.

People should ALWAYS be able to trust their doctors advice. If not (as in your example), then you have a serious problem with the system. In cases such as these the doctor will go under a review and possibly have his/her license suspended or revoked. You should NEVER tell people to disobey the orders of their doctors, this is negligent and dangerous.

Yes, but it clearly shows that you can't compare birth control to accutane

rest my case.

You can give your opinion and personal experience with a drug but you must state CLEARLY that it is of your own opinion and you are not a licensed professional. You should also always direct them to seek professional help.

As you state in the terms of service that the content provided are opinion only, so I need not double state that my research are opinion or fact, It would be futile.

Also I did indeed trust my doctor, or I would of not taken the medication myself. (Think about it)

It wasnt until afterwards that I realized something was wrong and I did my own research with medical journals online other sources and then realized that my dermatologist had downplayed the seriousness of the toxicology of this medication

One must always question the information he or she recieves, whether it be a newspaper or whatever source of information, unless factually proven by the laws of science.

I clearly just did, as they clearly both have possible serious side effects and are clearly both being prescribed for non-life-threatening conditions.

rest my case.

As you state in the terms of service that the content provided are opinion only, so I need not double state that my research are opinion or fact, It would be futile.

Also I did indeed trust my doctor, or I would of not taken the medication myself. (Think about it)

It wasnt until afterwards that I realized something was wrong and I did my own research with medical journals online other sources and then realized that my dermatologist had downplayed the seriousness of the toxicology of this medication

One must always question the information he or she recieves, whether it be a newspaper or whatever source of information, unless factually proven by the laws of science.

You are not understanding what I am trying to tell you.

If you have a problem with advice your doctor gave you, you need to take it to court. You should form an awareness group and try to stop doctors and specialists from prescribing Accutane for acne.

But what you are doing - telling people to disobey their doctors advice is wrong and you have no right to do so. I have no problem with giving your experience, opinion, or any studies that you find to educate people. But to blatantly tell people to not listen to their doctors is dangerous.

I clearly just did, as they clearly both have possible serious side effects and are clearly both being prescribed for non-life-threatening conditions.

and one is clearly more dangerous than the other. birth control is not listed as top 4 on FDA's database, I am not a woman and do not have first hand knowledge of birth control, but I have researched Accutane so I can only suggest what I know. thank you for your time

I believe that yes, people should listen to thier doctors and what thier doctor suggest. However, with my experince I have learned to research outside of what my doctor has suggested. Along with having my husband who is a doctor research what is suggested too.

Doctors are human they make mistakes. Yes there are doctors who do not have thier patients best intrests at heart, but there are some out there that do. some are in for money and some are in for the intrest of the well being of the patient.

Thank you for this thread it was really needed. Hopefully now someone will be able to ask a question or state their experience that they had with accutane without it becoming an all out flame war. May I suggest that we also have another thread specifically for accutane studies because the posts become very repetitive.

rest my case.

You are not understanding what I am trying to tell you.

If you have a problem with advice your doctor gave you, you need to take it to court. You should form an awareness group and try to stop doctors and specialists from prescribing Accutane for acne.

But what you are doing - telling people to disobey their doctors advice is wrong and you have no right to do so. I have no problem with giving your experience, opinion, or any studies that you find to educate people. But to blatantly tell people to not listen to their doctors is dangerous.

While I do not have a doctorate in medicine, I dont believe this would make a difference to you. For every man and woman has critical thinking and rational thought, although some only use it rarely. If I were to get a doctorate would you respect my opinion more? No, it would be one doctors opinion vs. another doctors opinion and you would decide which you would agree with. It does not matter who says a fallacious argument the argument is still fallacious, whether that person has a degree or ten degrees.

People very often determine the "truth" of a statement primarily based on the social authority of the speaker, not on the logical consitency or evidential validity of its contents. It takes a really nonsensical statement for them to actually rationally process and reject it on its own demerits, and even then they fail to do so very frequently when the speaker appears to be socially allied to their conservative cause.

Thank you for this thread it was really needed. Hopefully now someone will be able to ask a question or state their experience with accutane without it becoming an all out flame war. May I suggest that we also have another thread specifically for accutane studies, because the posts become very repetitive.

I agree, good idea. I will provide acne.org with all the neccesary studies :clap:

I am willing to create a pinned thread for links to Accutane studies. The thread will be very tightly moderated, though. It won't be a place to debate the studies, simply a reference point.

I am willing to create a pinned thread for links to Accutane studies. The thread will be very tightly moderated, though. It won't be a place to debate the studies, simply a reference point.

It's a great idea, but I hope you will check the validity of the studies (whether the journal that published it is credible, etc), because it may be misleading and give wrong information if the links cannot be disputed.