Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oli girl

'Accutane debate placeholder thread'

well i mean retinoids and steroids are two different chemical compounds and enter different receptors but are very closely related families. just look at the words themselves. anything that influences gene expression and hormone altering can be classified such as

well i mean retinoids and steroids are two different chemical compounds and enter different receptors..

Correct.

Similarity in words? The suffix -oid. Ok. That just means 'resembling'. However, those two very different compounds do not resemble each other.

retinoid im willing to bet is fairly new to medical science. i am assuming they took the transcription of a the molecules that make up a steroid, edited strands and used a foundation of vitamin A that inevitably reversed the process, basically you get none of the benefits from steroids (Except Cortisol! for me at least) and all of the weaknesses. cardiac isues, sight, vision, birth defects... just take a look at adverse reactions of steroids and accutane and compare. yellowing of the eyes, etc. etc.

its true i tell you. scientists know what I'm talking about. take accutane stimulate the gluccos, adrenal cortex, oh its so bad for the cardiovascular tho, but your muscles love the high blood pressure just like a steroid. just that damn vitamin a. if it didnt have vitamin a, declassifying it as a 'retinoid' and stuck with natural plant and animal sterols, oohhhh baby. we are talking super mutant human evolution. y'all just don't know.

I am sure people on here have been to max's board...http:// max001.probards.com where he put journal and studies togther for a more readable form. google retinoids there are many sites that retinoids are in the family of steriod family hormones.

It is known that roaccutane,retnic acid , is a form of vitiman a, and is classified as a steroid.

one site says that other steroids hormones like aldosterone,estrogens,thyroid hormones,calcitirol,retinoids, vitiman A (retinol) and it's relatives

retinal, retinoic acid(tretinion-also available as the drug Retin A) and its isomers.

Isotretinion (sold as accutane for the treatment of acne)bile acids and fatty acids.

(title steroid hormone receptors and thier response elements)

another site: steroid hormone receptors: states that the steroids hormone recpetors belong to the steroid and thyroid family receptor superfamily of protiens, that include not only the the receptors for steroids hormones, but for thyroid hormones,vitiman d,retinoic acid (rar),mineralcorticoids,gluccoorticoids, this large class is known as the nuclear receptors.

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/steroid-hormones.html

It has a lot of pages.

Either way Accutane= high dosage of Vit A and Reis 13 cis acid, highly toxic and dangerous drug, and well is used for chemo therapy treatment. It can have many effects on skin, hormones and other things.

I get shocked when I hear derms prescribing predisone while people are on accutane. esspecially when they both affect the bones.

Really roche's says themselves "mechinisms of action unknown" I find it hard to believe that they don't know the mechinisms, they just want people to believe they don't know.

Well the actions are indeed opposite, rather, the negative adverse reactions are almost identical so it had to of derived from a steroid initially. Or wynne maybe you are right, they both somehow affect the same part of the body in similar ways. because Steroids was the common practice to control acne and hormones in the early 90's.

There is something Roche is hiding possibly because steroids have been proven by law to cause depression and by admitting their new retinoid compound takes the function as a steroid within the body and or its base compound is a steroid would admit their guilt in knowing that this is in fact a psycho stimulating drug. Roche has said time after time that they don't know the exact mechanism of their drug 'accutane'. I think it is either one of two things, its base compound strand is a steroid and or it takes the role of steroid to be accepted by receptors alike within the body.

I think if you look up the definition of steroid (not necessarily anabolic) and look at the adverse reactions and compare it to those of accutane you will see all the way down to birth defects to yellowing of the eyes, skin, etc. The only main difference is while steroid promotes rapid bone growth and muscle development, retinoid seems to do the opposite if nothing at all in that area.

Thank you for your time.

Really roche's says themselves "mechinisms of action unknown" I find it hard to believe that they don't know the mechinisms, they just want people to believe they don't know.

Yes! is preposterous.

actually accutane is closely related to vitamin A, not anabolic steroids. still i agree accutane is a drug of absolute last resort, the side effects seem worse than most forms of acne

actually accutane is closely related to vitamin A, not anabolic steroids. still i agree accutane is a drug of absolute last resort, the side effects seem worse than most forms of acne

I agree with everyone who said that he didn't ask an opinion about his age. People need to be more respectful on these threads. While I may not agree with every decision a person makes, unless I'm asked, I have no right to state my opinion.

Good luck with your course! It was a hard decision for me to make but I decided to monitor myself and keep a close eye on how my body was responding.

MANY medications' mechanism of action is unknown; that alone is not enough to worry me; daily I deal with and give out hundreds of medications whose primary mechanism of action is NOT known. That's just how it is and how it WILL be likely for many many more years for a huge number of drugs.

Accutane was originally developed for cancer. So?! It is precisely that 'fear' factor of the word itself, 'chemotherapy' that keeps Accutane's makers from widely advertising that Accutane was originally developed for treating cancer. Technically speaking though, ALL medications are chemotherapy, chemical therapy. Oncologists/oncology has however pre-empted that name and as cancer strikes fear into the hearts of many, so does the word chemotherapy. It is simply an emotionally loaded word that is used for biased purposes.

So many medications are developed for one thing and then through various means the medication is prescribed for something else, sometimes a completely different reason than for the medication's original reason for being developed.

I am now curious about accutane being described as a steroid and have emailed Roche asking them to answer the question. I cannot go by what is stated on a website that is extremely biased, and whose owner was banned from here for certain behaviors that are not acceptable on acne.org.

Those arguments about chemotherapy always come up by anti-accutane persons. It does not phase me, nor does the fact that its mechanism of action is unknown.

Yes, it has horrible side effects for some people. But yes, it has turned around other people's lives and made them happier and acne free again. I can't imagine the pain of living with something like acne conglobata or hidradenitis suppuritiva; Accutane is just about the last resort for those. If I myself had started Accutane earlier, no doubt I would not have very large scars on my cheeks. I cannot demonize Accutane as some do.

Here is Roche's response:

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your inquiry regarding ACCUTANE® (isotretinoin).

According to the prescribing information Accutane is not a steroid but a retinoid. Retiniods are a class of chemical compounds that are related chemically to vitamin A.

I have included the prescribing information for your review. I hope you find this information helpful. http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and we wish you good health.

Sincerely,

{name deleted by Wynne for protection of employee of Roche}

hey,

95% of people that reply to these posts are people who are still struggling with acne or the people who have had very unlikely outcomes post-treatment.

For me, and the 10 or so friends that I know have used accutane, the only post side-effect has been clear skin with the odd pimple here and there. Not one negative side effect from any of us.

I would prescribe this medication to absolutely anyone. It is 100% worth it, don't listen to these people, and do yourself the biggest favor of your life, and GO ON ACCUTANE!

You will thank me in the future.

If you had my experience, you wouldnt recommend Accutane to anyone.

hey,

95% of people that reply to these posts are people who are still struggling with acne or the people who have had very unlikely outcomes post-treatment.

For me, and the 10 or so friends that I know have used accutane, the only post side-effect has been clear skin with the odd pimple here and there. Not one negative side effect from any of us.

I would prescribe this medication to absolutely anyone. It is 100% worth it, don't listen to these people, and do yourself the biggest favor of your life, and GO ON ACCUTANE!

You will thank me in the future.

If you had my experience, you wouldnt recommend Accutane to anyone.

He had HIS experience so therefore recommends it to people. You had yours so therefore you don't recommend it. He has a right to state his opinion just as you have the right to state yours.

wyyne you have deleted my posts. i am inclined to believe you work for Roche Pharmaceuticals since you are encouraging this propaganda. do you know what I do for a living?

Wynne did not delete your posts. I made your posts invisible because you teetered on trolling. Do not play semantics; you know exactly what you did and I won't bother going into PMs because you disregard those boundaries as well. Actually, you're very slick. You get right to the edge of being warned, but stay so close to the line you don't cross. Clever. THIS is what makes me distrust you.

Siava, I am crazy.... crazy 4 u.

But I will at least try to go back to all my posts and edit them to fall under your standards. Thats what the edit button is for. You don't always have to feel the need to control the posts first hand.

:wall:

^ I think that sums up every Accutane debate thread ever on this site.

To bad she neglects to mention the toxicity of vitamin A which no other drug besides Accutane has.

nvapro, the only standard I have is fairness. Not once have I seen you offer advice other than you telling people they'll fall into some autoimmune demise and/or they're stupid and/or they must be working for Roche if they don't agree with you. If you want to edit all your posts, knock yourself out. I've tried being civil towards you. It doesn't work.

jmiri, the toxicity is a given. It's stated in the literature. There's no need for me to mention it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

All I know is accutane...I'm useless on any other parts of the site. This is all I know. That it is bad news bears. I have firsthand experience. Do you think I am just here for attention? I'm trying to save lives.

I would love to create threads where I have had success in taking hyaluronic acid pills and glucosamine to combat negative effects of accutane. Also how I treated my scars on my skin while on accutane with bacitracin zinc. And how most people who are going to end up being prescribed to accutane will inevitably be teenagers whom experiment with many drugs for school and or socializing on a regular basis, and have no knowledge of the adverse effects of mixing the vasospastic substance marijuana and hypertension increasing amphetamine adderall can send the body into shock while on accutane. Because it is not included in the ipledge booklet. nor does the dermatologist know anything about you personally (habits) other than advises you not to drink alcohol because of the liver. I was there. I got my accutane package. Its not a safe environment. You can die with the snap of a finger from a stroke or heart attack.

what is the use? wynne or you will just delete it. my only plan left is to just troll until i get banned. then at least i can say i tried. and everyones problems will be on yalls conscience. not mine.