Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oli girl

'Accutane debate placeholder thread'

First off I would like to say thank you lionqueen for making thoose two pinned threads. I think it is great.

However, I can see why some say people with negative experinces are biased against.

The thread for the negative experinces says please don't post any links from other sites.

The postive doesn't state that.

So, someone has already in the postive experince pinned thread area flamed and express thier opinion against us with negative experinces and posted links.

Thier opinion on negative people only signing up here to scare people away from accutane. I for months have had side effects and never once signed up here to try and scare people away, in fact I was out focusing on getting better, so I could live my life. I only had to sign up to defend myself since I was not a member and someone choose to bash me in thier post. I also only sign up to defend others that were attacked and didn't believe my story.

So, if the rules aren't the same and people don't abide by them it may start a debate on either pinned thread and ruin the real reason why they were started to begin with, thus causing moderators more work that is not needed.

I hope all of you are doing well.

p.s. I will post in the pinned area soon. :D

*Moderator addition - in the interests of preserving debate that has overtaken other threads and obscured the original poster's question, the moderators are reserving this thread as an 'Accutane debate placeholder thread,' where ONLY the back and forth debates will reside.*

Edited by LionQueen
Placeholder thread for debates

The rules for those two threads have already been ignored. Those posts have been set to invisible. We will do our best to stay on top of these two threads to ensure no debating or derailment happens. If you catch something, please report it.

The two starter threads by LQ should be equal - not word for word because I'm not about to reconstruct LQs posts, but I did add the "no outside links" portion to the Positive feedback thread.

Oh, this isn't an issue of positive or negative. This medication Accutane is not good for the human body. The only reason I am here is to stop young teens from taking it. If you are to take this med, please be over 21 and your body has ceased growing and if you still have cystic acne, Then try a low course. This is not debatable. I am not getting paid to dispute the medication Accutane. I do it off of my own will.

I very well think there are users on this website. Service reps working for Accutane, logged in spreading positive information about this drug. Its not unreasonable. This is a billion dollar corporation we are talking about. I would so hire some young girl to roam website forums to push my product if i was a Roche exec.

(Wow, Roche is on spell check...Scary)

Thank you, Siava.

My intention was for the two threads to be as equivalent as possible.

They are simply a place for people to tell their own personal stories as clearly and explicitly as possible without fear of flaming. No one should regard these stories as scientific proof of anything -- pro or con.

The mods will do their best to keep those threads clean of flaming and outside links, and we would appreciate reports if such problems arise. We aren't here 24 x 7 and we can't read every response in every thread.

Hi everyone, i went to the dermatoligst and he said to try it out. so i am taking my first pill tonight.

i am 13 and weigh 180. i am taking 40 mg a day. i wil be posting every couple of days with my results/ side effects

i hope i dont get anything besides the ordinary dry skin and lips.

wish me luck!!

Uhm, you are sooo young. Have you tried anything else? You are still growing and this is a powerful and dangerous drug. You may outgrow your acne in time.

I am a little concerned that your derm suggested and prescribed this to you.

I know, thats too young! What on earth is your derm thinking

How tall are you now>?? Because after a course of accutane you may not grow anymore.

huh? I didnt know accutane stunts growth

Woah! You may wanna think this through! I knew someone who took Accutane at 14 and he is fine but still... maybe wait until your next birthday at least? I don't know, 13 just seems really young for such a serious drug.

Woah! You may wanna think this through! I knew someone who took Accutane at 14 and he is fine but still... maybe wait until your next birthday at least? I don't know, 13 just seems really young for such a serious drug.

Maybe he should wait till hes eighteen or just dont take it

agree w/ acne battle. Yes accutane can cause young children/teens to stop growing. Its called epiphyseal closure. Its documented in the online roche/accutane information. Scary thought.

agree w/ acne battle. Yes accutane can cause young children/teens to stop growing. Its called epiphyseal closure. Its documented in the online roche/accutane information. Scary thought.

Why wait till hes eighteen? I think taking it before then is fine, but 13 seems very young. His Acne could be purely hormonal and gone in a few months. I think around 15-16 you can really tell wether your Acne requires Accutane or not.

Why wait till hes eighteen? I think taking it before then is fine, but 13 seems very young. His Acne could be purely hormonal and gone in a few months. I think around 15-16 you can really tell wether your Acne requires Accutane or not.

I say eighteen because when you are eighteen you are officially an adult. Its when you can vote. When you are fifteen and sixteen, you are still young and your judgement is not as you know, I dont know how to word what I want to say lol

I say eighteen because when you are eighteen you are officially an adult. Its when you can vote. When you are fifteen and sixteen, you are still young and your judgement is not as you know, I dont know how to word what I want to say lol

No I understand. I still believe 15-16 you are mature enough to decide wether to go on Accutane or not. People at that age have to make a whole ton of diffucult decisions anyways, so they've generally had practice. So to speak.

it doesnt stunt your growth and I think its ok starting it early because its better than what I did try a bunch of prescribed antibiotics creams gels and otc products for a few years and have nothing happen for your acne. I just finished accutane and I have no more facial acne I still have some back acne but its milder and my side effects were dry lip dry eyes dry skin dry hair and back pain. I would have hated to start accutane right before the summer though because of the sensitivity to the sun that you will most likely develop, if you can try and hold it off until august because it takes a month for the sensitivity to the sun to kick in and you wont have to waste this summer indoors or if you do go outside you will always need sunscreen.

it doesnt stunt your growth and I think its ok starting it early because its better than what I did try a bunch of prescribed antibiotics creams gels and otc products for a few years and have nothing happen for your acne. I just finished accutane and I have no more facial acne I still have some back acne but its milder and my side effects were dry lip dry eyes dry skin dry hair and back pain. I would have hated to start accutane right before the summer though because of the sensitivity to the sun that you will most likely develop, if you can try and hold it off until august because it takes a month for the sensitivity to the sun to kick in and you wont have to waste this summer indoors or if you do go outside you will always need sunscreen.

Okay people it can stunt your growth. I don't understand why people refuse to believe even what the company that makes the medcine prints and research studies. It doesn't mean it will happen to you, just means that it can happen and it has.

Jim120-just b/c it didn't stunt your growth does not mean it won't stunt some other young boy. Accutane effects everyone diffrent. 13 is too young, he might out grow his acne. some do

I guess you didn't read the thread on Epiphyseal closure and bone growth.

:rolleyes: I have been on Accutane for 21days and so far so good. I have one small cyst on my chin that hurts like hell but you can't see it. ( I like those kind).

I have suffered for so long with acne. I have the cysts and I get them with any sort of emotional bump in the road of life. I am 31 /female/mother- and Accutane is the only thing that has worked so far. I will keep you updated. Feel free to email me. I check it all the time.

Hello! I want to add to this post because before I started Accutane, I was excited, afraid, hopeful and reading other people's posts about their experiences really eased my mind. I am 29 years old. I started suffering from severe cystic acne at 20. I had perfectly clear skin through my teen years and was suprised when I started breaking out as an adult. I tried everything from over the counter products to monthly skin peels and micro dermabrasion. The peels seemed to work. I wasn't completely clear, but at 26 (when I started the peels) it was the only thing that had an effect. I had laser treatment, which my doctor said would smooth my scarring and erase the red spots the acne had left behind. It only made my acne flare up worse than ever and after shelling out thousands of dollars, my skin was now to sensitive to undergo my peels. As a last resort, I begged for Accutane. I underwent a 6 month cycle of Accutane. 40MG twice a day.

My skin is now smooth and clear without a blemish in site! The only side effects I experienced were dry lips (eased by an over the counter miracle in a bottle called Aquaphor), slight mood swings during the first 2 months, and some hair loss. Ok, so the hair loss does seem kind of scary. I had what seemed like tongs of it coming out in the shower, but it wasn't noticable to other people.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! For the fist time in 9 years, I can go out without makeup and feel confident. The 6 months flew by! At first I didn't see a difference. My acne wasn't better, but it wasn't worse. At month 4, my skin started to clear. By month 5, my acne seemed like a bad dream.

Good Luck on your journey. I am so grateful for this medication and I hope that it works as well for you as it did for me.

I am happy to read that your acne is gone!!! I hate it and it has been forever that I have went without makeup. Also, do you get the comments from people (family) that if you washed your face more or quit wearing makeup - that you would be clear?? I got that all the time. IT made me so mad. I know it is hormones- I am in the medical field and I am the cleanest person around. I thought I washed too much.......LOL..........but anyway accutane is drying up my oil and I feel pretty for once in 12 years.......

No I understand. I still believe 15-16 you are mature enough to decide wether to go on Accutane or not. People at that age have to make a whole ton of diffucult decisions anyways, so they've generally had practice. So to speak.

Yeah but when youre 15-16, you still need your parents permission

YES IT CAN AND IT HAS BEEN DOCUMENTED, STUDIED, PROVEN OVER TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

Read the damn literature again, clearly you haven't done so yet.

lol, being 18 automatically makes you an adult yeah right! maybe in the eyes of the law but that is a very objective subject. Some 18 year olds are far too immature to be considered adults on the other hand some 16 year olds I know have far more responsibility than people much older than them.

Anyway amentola I dont think your log should be ruined by people lecturing you on the risks of accutane. Regardless of your age you've obviously made the decison to go on accutane and I wish you luck! I'll keep an eye on your log just make sure you moisturise and maybe consider taking vitamin e just to help with the side effects :D

guys lets not turn this into yet another accutane good v. bad debate this is someones log and not the place for it. Do it in another thread if you must.

OMG are you for real??

You tried some pills and gels for a month and now your going on tane at your age??

Fffffffffffffft don't even get me started. :evil:

And a couple of things, for those saying it is a last resort problem, ive been trying things for about a month, my derm prescribed me on 2 antiobiotics, 5 gels, and nothing worked! so i figured i would try. but

WEEK 1-

it has been a weeek, and i have notices a lot of puss filled ones around my mouth (where i typaclly get them)

more on my forehead, which i never get,

and my typical acne near my sideburns.

no side effects, at all.

Okay, first of all One month is not even long enough, Usually I believe it takes three months to see if antibotics is going to work. two you are young and may outgrow your acne.

Give it some time the side effects will kick in....One week is nothing....Don't worry I hope you don't regret it....Your acne may come back esspecially being so young. then what?

And a couple of things, for those saying it is a last resort problem, ive been trying things for about a month, my derm prescribed me on 2 antiobiotics, 5 gels, and nothing worked! so i figured i would try. but

WEEK 1-

it has been a weeek, and i have notices a lot of puss filled ones around my mouth (where i typaclly get them)

no side effects, at all.

One month is nothing! Thats how long you should experiment with one product. Unbelievable, you ask if you think you are two young to take accutane, we tell you what we think and you completely ignored it

WEEK 1-

no side effects, at all.

One month is nothing! Thats how long you should experiment with one product. Unbelievable, you ask if you think you are two young to take accutane, we tell you what we think and you completely ignored it

he never asked if he was too young to take accutane ... :rolleyes:

all he's doing is trying to keep a log. I looked over all of the posts and don't remember seeing anything in which he asked for anyone's opinion if 13 was too young to be taking the medicine.

It is his decision. Let it go.

amentola33, you haven't been back to this thread since you first posted it. Can't say I blame you. I highly suggest you start a brand new log in the Accutane log section if/when you do return to update your progress. I hope you do.

When does it stop being a natural aging process for diminished eyesight when one is 40+, the instant an Accutane pill is taken?

Well maam, there is a complexity with the steroid molecule. I hate to use this as an example, although the adverse reactions are similar to those of anabolic steroids. You are familiar with Arnold Schwarzenegger and his career in his early 20's as a body builder who has admitted usage up until the Mr. Olympia competitions. It was also common practice in the 70's to use. At age 50 he had developing cardiac issues atherosclerosis and underwent heart valve replacement in 1997. He is at age 62 and he might not make it past age 70.

Now when dealing with the accutane, where the steroid mixture is aimed at reducing the activity of the sebaceous glands and has an opposite role overall in regards to its function, not its derivative or form, if you will, can and usually do affect parts of the body that are most vulnerable such as the eyes, nerves, cardio, heart, liver, very lastly do they affect bone marrow. But this cocktail seems to reduce marrow as well and just as well, hmm a scary drug yes, thats all I will say for now. I must gather my intelligence one of these days, and try to convince others so young and developing fragile bodies to not take this drug.