Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nowonder

b vitamins, zinc, and iron

I'm planning on starting a regimen with 30mg zinc, b-vitamin complex, and about 6 billion acidophilus. Just wondering what the recommended amount of zinc is for acne? I heard that too much zinc can lead to an inhibition of iron. At which ratio will this happen? I am planning to take about 9mg of iron per day, will this amount of iron be inhibited by the zinc?

Past studies on zinc and acne have used modest doses in the range 15-45mg (that's going on memory, but I would have perked up and remembered if anybody used 50mg or more). It probably doesn't matter that much precisely how much you take; statistically it's always proven to be only modestly better than placebo at treating acne.

I wouldn't bother taking iron unless you have reason to believe you are already deficient. In a year-long study giving 100mg/day of zinc to elderly folk, nobody ended up iron deficient. If you want to avoid zinc interfering with other things (and more importantly, vice versa) just take it on an empty stomach before bedtime. Or, just eat a hamburger and get your zinc and iron together in one convenient package! :D