Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
farlap

a way to test for food allergies?

hello.

read an article that said alot of acne is cause by food allergies. so

is there a tests for food allagies? will they work for acne?

thanks.

anyone know? you'll make me a happy happy person if you tell me.

i limited my diet alot and noticed a big improvement, but im unsure on the culpret. would a nutritionest or demertoligist be better to see? could i give them some blood and the machine goes to work and gives me a clear cut answer?

Diet is not the only factor that contributes to acne. Genetics also play a roll and the most common cause, hormonal imbalances which are not only caused by food. Acne is a very complicated skin disease. There are so many factors as to what causes it that its hard to pinpoint.

Im 99.9% sure though I am allergic to dairy. I think the test for food allergies is called the ELISA or something like that test.

It may be difficult for some who seem to have problems figuring out what to eat when they remove something from their diet, but it is far from impossible to use elimination to figure out your food allergies. In fact, it's the best way and many here do it.

And yes, acne is a multifactoral condition, and diet affects most of those factors. And genetics only account for part of the odds in your developing a condition. The rest is what you do.

It may be difficult for some who seem to have problems figuring out what to eat when they avoid something, but it is far from impossible to use elimination to figure out your food allergies. In fact, it's the best way and many here do it.

And yes, acne is a multifactoral condition, and diet affects most of those factors. And genetics only account for part of the odds in your developing a condition. The rest is what you do.

I respect your feedback but I disagree. I take care of my skin during the spring and summer the same way I do in the fall and winter and I eat the same. Everyone is different. For me, weather changes have a huge impact on my skin. Its also hard to eliminate foods when I dont know for sure what causes them. Im pretty sure my acne worsens when I eat dairy but maybe I have other food allergies that I am not aware of.

There are many labs that perform the test. One of them is called ALCAT. Just google it.

My primary care doctor did a comprehensive food panel it was $1275.

The problem is there are different types of reaction that invoke a response from different types of antibodies. Most only test for the immediate type reaction that causes hives, swelling, anaphylactic shock, etc. Few test for the delayed type which causes headaches, fatigue, all kinds of things people suffer from without ever finding a cause. And acne.

Info on IgE vs IgG antibody responses:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/IgE-vs-Ig...le-t200416.html

I have had SO many allergy tests in my lifetime because I have a severe allergy to pollen/flowering trees, and I have a epi-pen because I go into anaphylactic (spelling haha) shock (throat closes up). All of my allergy tests were free. That is the joy of Canada. Haha. I've been tested twice for food allergy, I didn't know there was a name for the test, I just discussed with the allergist what I'd like to get tested for. This was when I was in junior high, and people can develop and/or grow out of allergies throughout their lifetime. Anyways, if your in Canada, ask your GP for a referrel to an allergist. I love our healthcare system. In my entire life, I've never had to pay for anything doctor, dentist, or vision related, or for any perscription, not even birth control. Thanks Canada (and blue cross benefits!)