Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had severe cystic acne since I was 13. I've been through 2 rounds of accutane (though both rounds had big breaks because of the complications of the system) and both times it worked beautifully, and I came out completely acne free. The only problem is after 7 months, both times around, the acne has come back. I now have a dermatologist appointment for May to go back on accutane for a third round, but I'd love other options because I really hate accutane (aside from the outcome of course). I'd really love to be able to clear it before my appointment so I don't have to go on accutane again.

I've been researching about Vitamin A, and how it is the main component of accutane, though altered. I read how taking anywhere from 100,000 I.U. to 300,000 I.U. a day could heal it just like accutane, but I know this is very harmful and toxic to the liver, so I'm not going to do that. I've been considering taking 24,000 I.U. a day until my appointment, but do you think this would even do anything? I'm also on differin too.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions on ways to treat severe cystic acne without accutane? I'm open to anything right now, cause I'm kind of bummed that the accutane refuses to work for me as a long term fix.

Also, I'm planning to give blood at the end of the week, and I know you can't give blood when you're on accutane, so I was wondering if it would still be safe to give blood while on 24,000 I.U.?

Thank you so much!