Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I'm 20 years old and I've been suffering from acne for the past 8 years or so. I never really seeked help for my acne ,not because it didn't bother me but because I never actually knew that there was a cure,as everyone told me that you can only grow out of acne. Three years ago I started to get fed up with my appearance and the miserable life I was living and finally decided to seek medical attention.I went to two dermatologists over a period of two years or so and both prescribed the usual antibiotics, creams and topicals, there was some slight improvement with each course but the acne kept coming back. My sister told me about Accutane and how it's done wonders to her friends and how their skin has undergone dramatic transformation,ever since I've been literally dreaming of this wonderful drug hat will finally set me free (my sister told me about accutane before I went to see the two dermatologists but none would prescribe it for me). I finally went to another dermatologist who gave me another 6 month course of the usual but said that if I haven't shown any improvement by the end of the course he may prescribe Accutane.Hearing him say those words was such a relief,I was finally going to be acne free.I took the 6 month course and during those six months I was praying to god that he would give Accutane coz it would kill me if he didn't .The days went by and there was not much improvement.I finally went to my appointment and finally the doctor decided to give me Accutane,it was like dying and going to heaven.He prescribe 40mg for six months,meaning that the treatment will end by my next birthday,and finally having clear skin would just be the perfect birthday present!!

I took it and the first thing I noticed was that oily skin has finally disappeared,I was so happy and couldn't wiat for more and more improvement to occur.The months went by but I was still getting breakouts ,weird big ones and ones which eventually become filled with pus and as they rupture they leave very deep holes in my face and as they were healing they leave really ugly red marks which look like acne ,if you know what I mean.I kept telling myself that maybe I'm one of those type of people that clear up by the last month,but I was wrong.

I had my last appointment with my dermatologist last week and he said that all his patient improved dramatically with Accutane except me ,and he said that was coz I had some old black heads which collected bacteria and were causing me to breakout.He preformed a really painful procedure at which he took a needle an popped up all my zits and tried to remove most of my blackheads ,and said that I will improve with remaining two weeks of treatment. I saw my self in the mirror and I was in complete shock.I went out of the doctor's office and I remember walking through that corridor and everybody was staring at my face,I just wanted to disappear,I was heart broken and was about to cry thinking about what I have to go through each and every day.I went home and was hoping for the improvement the doctor has promised me.

I'm still complying to treatment but I also had two breakouts on my forehead and another one yesterday. I feel so devastated my skin looks so bad with all the red marks, blackheads and the recent painful breakouts.I always thought that Accutane was going to be my savior but it actually made my skin worse than it was.I feel depressed and heartbroken and simply exhausted of all the waiting ,public humiliation and lack of self esteem, I'm tired of being afraid of the light and not being able to look people in the face,I just want to be a normal person again :( and what makes me even more sad, is that my birthday came and went and I never got the birthday present I was hoping for :(.....

I'm sorry for your struggle, I know how you feel and everyone here knows how you feel. I went through the same thing myself with Tane where the acne would come back and I'd think, "Is this EVER going to go away?" Then I was back and forth for years, trying this and that, clearing up and then breaking out again and again. Now? I'm 95-98% clear, I have a little oily skin. So yes, it's still possible for you to clear up your skin, but remember it depends on you to keep trying different strategies until you find something that works. You're going to have to start again, so don't give up, and ESPECIALLY don't do anything drastic.

The best suggestion I have on here is to look into the Nutrition and Holistic Forum, that's where I finally found my answers. They had to do with diet, lifestyle, water intake, and fiber. I use very little topicals now, don't need them. And I don't go to the derms anymore because all they're doing is making $$$ IMHO off my condition and trying to keep me still breaking out. They don't really want me well, they want me sick. Sad, but true.

The Tane didn't work, but at least you know it didn't work. IDK if they'd up the dosage on you or not, but I think that drug is shit anyway, and overpriced shit too. So check out the "Challenging The Challenges Caused by Acne" pinned thread at the top of this forum for Mental Strategies for dealing with acne, and check out the Nutrition and Holistic Forum for all the other things to try and clear your skin up.

Hang in there, don't ever give up. And keep thinking, "I'm finding solutions to my acne!" and you know what? YOU WILL!!!! I know it worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::pray::angel:

I am sorry to hear this mate, I am kinda following your fotsteps and am hoping Accutane will be my saviour but I can only imagin if it fails like it did for you. Concidering I have mild stubborn acne.

aw hun i am so sorry.

Maybe you just didnt respond to accutane or maybe if you had a higher dosage im not sure. Don't give up tho. Hang in there and know you are beautiful :)

The same happened to me; accutane was not such a great thing for me.

People are too quick to prescribe accutane here and they should really convey the possible consequences.