Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty93

What Retin-A does to your face.

DELETED THE ATTACHMENTS BECAUSE THEY WERE TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE.

'Nuff said.

I had to leave school because I got tired of kids asking what happened to my face. At first I thought it was sunburn, but then realized it was the medicine all along. I have been putting Aloe on it and I pray to God it won't be like this tomorrow. I hate missing school!

Also, I left right before my next period. I could not afford to let the lady I love to see me like this! It was like this yesterday, but kids kept saying how it was worse today :(

Oh, P.S. My face was looking clear before I even tried this. All I had was red marks that I could easily deal with. Now I have this.

How long have you been using Retin-A? I know it's a my uncle's been using Tretinoin for a while, and his skin doesn't seem to peel the way yours is.

Only for about a week now. It really sucks, my face is red and right on my neck is pale white, so kids know it is not sunburn. :rolleyes:

I don't have much personal experience with Retin-A, but is there a chance that you just started out too fast? I'm pretty sure it's like BP in that you kind of have to gradually increase how much you're using so that your skin has time to adjust.

I don't know of you're having some sort of terrible reaction, but maybe Retin-A is just one of those things where you need to take it slow and be patient during the beginning. Like, with Dan's regimen (which uses BP) most people go through a period in the beginning where their skin is dry and flaky and red, but it's just a temporary thing while our skin adjusts.

Have you talked to your derm?

Since you've only been on it for a week, it looks like you added too much last night. I guarantee you that's the reason..or you're starting out too quickly when your skin can't handle it. Are you using every night, every other, or what?

The first few days my skin did that too, bc. I added too much. XD

(It's week two for me, that I've been on Retin A Micro .04)

Since you've only been on it for a week, it looks like you added too much last night. I guarantee you that's the reason..or you're starting out too quickly when your skin can't handle it. Are you using every night, every other, or what?

The first few days my skin did that too, bc. I added too much. XD

(It's week two for me, that I've been on Retin A Micro .04)

Every night. I really hope it isn't like this tomorrow, or I will be tempted to missing school again. And you guys may think "Oh, just one day, no biggie", but I am a perfect attendance student. That's how bad this is affecting me.

I have been putting Pure Aloe Vera Gel on it to reduce redness and moisturize my skin, but after 30 minutes to an hour, my skin is dry again. There is a tremendous pain on the sides of my mouth; when I try to open it, it feels like my skin is being ripped open.

The First picture is a snapshot I just took today, 4/15/09. Second picture is on 4/9/09. Notice it hasn't even been a week yet.

Also, my friend came up to me and asked what happened to my face, as about 7 other kids today did. My friend said it looked like someone punched me in the face, because my eyes looked swollen. I barely even look like the same person.

Okay, now that I can compare, maybe you should tone down the usage. What dose are you using?

Definitely take a 2 days break or until that redness goes down...

Okay, now that I can compare, maybe you should tone down the usage. What dose are you using?

Definitely take a 2 days break or until that redness goes down...

I am taking a .04% dosage and applying it every night, tonight would be the first night I stop.

I have been putting the Pure Aloe Vera Gel on it whenever I can. I just really hope it is gone by tomorrow, or at least reduced to a state where I don't have everyone asking what happened to my face.

Maybe a cool compress would help a bit. Like, a wet washcloth that's been in the fridge for a little while (or has been soaked with cool water). It might help with the discomfort.

ouch! that looks kind of painful. i would definitely say stop using it until the redness and irritation goes away, and then use less of it once your skin is healed up again.

hope it gets better for u!

Definitely STOP using it until the redness goes away!!! That is what many people on these boards say. I am on my 6th week of Retin A and I just started to use it every night. For the first 5 weeks, I only used it about 4 times a week. I also ALWAYS moisturize 20 minutes after applying the cream. My skin never became dry doing this. The upside is that I have been having GREAT results and am almost fully clear. Just some light scarring that I expect to fade over time.

• Apply RETIN-A once daily before bedtime, or as

directed by your physician. Your physician may advise,

especially if your skin is sensitive, that you start your

therapy by applying RETIN-A every other night. First,

wash with a mild soap and dry your skin gently. WAIT

20 to 30 MINUTES BEFORE APPLYING MEDICATION;

it is important for skin to be completely dry in order

to minimize possible irritation.

• It is better not to use more than the amount suggested

by your physician or to apply more frequently than instructed.

Too much may irritate the skin, waste medication

and won't give faster or better results.

From the patient insert. Page 2 of the following link: http://www.edrugsonline.com/retin-a.htm?mode=patientinfo

Stop using the medication until your skin is less red. Tonight and tomorrow you can gently massage a thin layer of petrolatum jelly into your skin to help soothe the skin. Petrolatum jelly is noncomedogenic. You could also use Aquaphor.

If you're using the Retin A gel (not the micro version), you must wait at least 20 to 30 minutes to apply it after cleansing. That's in the patient insert too. It helps decrease irritation.

• When you start back on the Retin A, apply only a pea-sized amount to your whole face.

• Wait at least 20-30 minutes after cleansing. Use a gentle, non-medicated cleanser ONLY.

• You can moisturize with a non-comedogenic moisturizer 20 or so minutes after you've applied the Retin A if you have to.

Yeah I think you should apply it just for every other night maybe for 3-4 weeks.

But I see in your last picture, it's going better, dont wash your wash too harsh in condition like that, treat it softly.

�€� Apply RETIN-A once daily before bedtime, or as

directed by your physician. Your physician may advise,

especially if your skin is sensitive, that you start your

therapy by applying RETIN-A every other night. First,

wash with a mild soap and dry your skin gently. WAIT

20 to 30 MINUTES BEFORE APPLYING MEDICATION;

it is important for skin to be completely dry in order

to minimize possible irritation.

�€� It is better not to use more than the amount suggested

by your physician or to apply more frequently than instructed.

Too much may irritate the skin, waste medication

and won't give faster or better results.

From the patient insert. Page 2 of the following link: http://www.edrugsonline.com/retin-a.htm?mode=patientinfo

Stop using the medication until your skin is less red. Tonight and tomorrow you can gently massage a thin layer of petrolatum jelly into your skin to help soothe the skin. Petrolatum jelly is noncomedogenic. You could also use Aquaphor.

If you're using the Retin A gel (not the micro version), you must wait at least 20 to 30 minutes to apply it after cleansing. That's in the patient insert too. It helps decrease irritation.

�€� When you start back on the Retin A, apply only a pea-sized amount to your whole face.

�€� Wait at least 20-30 minutes after cleansing. Use a gentle, non-medicated cleanser ONLY.

�€� You can moisturize with a non-comedogenic moisturizer 20 or so minutes after you've applied the Retin A if you have to.

I am using Micro.

Didn't go to school today. I think my mom is making me go tomorrow :cry:

I am going to try the petroleum jelly. My mom also said that there is nothing I can do about the redness, the only thing I can do is moisturize my skin so it doesn't peel. I think there has to be SOMETHING that will get rid of this redness :(

Edit: Nevermind. I won't try petroleum jelly. I read that it holds in the heat?? I am just going to go back to Aloe Vera.

Yeah I think you should apply it just for every other night maybe for 3-4 weeks.

But I see in your last picture, it's going better, dont wash your wash too harsh in condition like that, treat it softly.

More fuel to the fire - I think I am allergic to Aloe :surprised:

I put some on and my face looked redder than before :snooty:

I am a nurse. Petrolatum jelly is fine. Ice is fine and will help the redness, too. Run an ice cube gently over your face until the cube melts, don't hold it in one spot too long.

I am a nurse. Petrolatum jelly is fine. Ice is fine and will help the redness, too. Run an ice cube gently over your face until the cube melts, don't hold it in one spot too long.

Yea, I am sorry I didn't show faith :doh:

I just put some Vaseline on. I am going to try ice. I really hope it does work :boohoo:

I asked my mother if I could stay another day home from school. I hate missing school, but I can't even bear the thought of all of the kids asking what happened to my face or teasing me because of it.

When you find the strength in your self to face down other people, you'll also start gaining the skills to face much worse things that will bother you in the future. Keep your confidence high; don't look down, avoiding eye contact. Look people straight in the eye and tell them point blank, "It's from Retin A micro!" If they don't like it, they can kiss your patootie. (or words to that effect.)

When you find the strength in your self to face down other people, you'll also start gaining the skills to face much worse things that will bother you in the future. Keep your confidence high; don't look down, avoiding eye contact. Look people straight in the eye and tell them point blank, "It's from Retin A micro!" If they don't like it, they can kiss your patootie. (or words to that effect.)

I guess you helped build my confidence :dance:

When I put Ice on, the vaseline gets on the ice. How can I stop this!?

But, I really don't want the girl I like to see my face like this. I guess she doesn't really like me if she can't take me for what I am now: :redface::redface::redface: hahaha

It is red, but the petrolatum jelly and gentle icing will help it. :)

And if that young lady asks you why your face is so red you could even say, "I can't look at you without blushing." Now, I'm not seriously suggesting you say that but it is an option. :P

It is red, but the petrolatum jelly and gentle icing will help it. :)

And if that young lady asks you why your face is so red you could even say, "I can't look at you without blushing." Now, I'm not seriously suggesting you say that but it is an option. :P

Hell yeah! She knows I am smooth... but man, I wasn't even thinking about that!! Thanks!

How is the pain on the side of your mouth?

The instructions were to use RAM in the evening every night, correct? Has your mother spoken to the doctor yet? I personally think you should discontinue RAM, but I am not a doctor. The redness looks severe. Continue with the ice and vaseline, and keep us informed of any changes.

How is the pain on the side of your mouth?

The instructions were to use RAM in the evening every night, correct? Has your mother spoken to the doctor yet? I personally think you should discontinue RAM, but I am not a doctor. The redness looks severe. Continue with the ice and vaseline, and keep us informed of any changes.

The pain is indescribable on the side of my mouth. At first I thought it was sunburn, but I guess not. But it just feels like the skin is being ripped open when I try to open my mouth.

Yes.

Has not spoken to doctor.

Have not put on RAM for a day so far, tonight will be 2 days.

The Vaseline is doing wonders. My face feels normal, besides there is some heat and I kind of feel the gooey feeling. I can't really use the ice, because it takes off from the vaseline currently on my face, but I will start using ice later.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Mortal makes a good point; it would be a good idea to contact your doc. The redness is quite severe and could possibly indicate an allergy (plus perhaps sun exposure?)

If your doc suggests you go back on Retin A micro, always use sunscreen.

Ohh, that's right. You also tried aloe. Aloe can be problematic for very irritated skin sometimes and can increase redness.

Mortal makes a good point; it would be a good idea to contact your doc. The redness is quite severe and could possibly indicate an allergy (plus perhaps sun exposure?)

If your doc suggests you go back on Retin A micro, always use sunscreen.

Ohh, that's right. You also tried aloe. Aloe can be problematic for very irritated skin sometimes and can increase redness.

My Grandma and Brother keep bugging me and say that I should clean everything off of my face! But I would rather listen to a professional :)