Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Why is my skin dry?

I don't use any cleanser or acne treatment on my skin; I just wash my face with cool water once a day after I take a hot shower, then wipe a little bit of pure aloe vera on my face with a cotton pad. My acne is pretty bad right now since I quit using products a week ago, but I'm hoping it will sort itself out. I just wish this dryness would go away because my skin feels so tight and rough. :boohoo: Is this the result of 6 months of Benzoyl Peroxide killing my skin?

Use a moisturizer. The hot shower's steam is bad for you (because it makes skin dry) but i don't think you would like taking a cold shower either way. So the solution? Use a good moisturizer one like Cetaphil's SPF 50 one. That way you get sun protection and moisturization.

Try not using water or aloe, just let it be...

lol. So what do you propose he do, never wash his face?

Try not using water or aloe, just let it be...

lol. So what do you propose he do, never wash his face?

As crazy as it sounds, yes.

I don't know if I can go as far as not washing my face...it'd probably turn into an oil slick within a day or two.

it wont turn into an oil slick. It'll actually dry out. Your skin might even get dry to the point where it needs water to rehydrate itself. Keep doing what you're doing, but add in a gentle moisturizer.

I would use a moisturizer, but I've tried everything from pure Jojoba oil to Cetaphil and most seem to aggravate existing acne and make my skin very shiny no matter how little I apply. So I kind of feel stuck. :(

maybe you should try and was ur face with cetaphil and then wait a few mins and apply a moisturizer and then ur bp? how much bp are u applying?

i forgot to add, dont use and SPF moisturizer it will make ur skin more oily

which moisturizer are u currently using?

Well you said your acne is pretty bad so i wouldn't go with those approaches. Get yourself a regimen anything! Try Neutrogena's new anti acne system or you can default to ProActiv. All you have to do is add the simple step of moisturizing try cetaphil's NEW SPF50 sunblock.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about the oil if these products are still making you that way. Just blot your face with paper towels every once in a while. Drinking lots of water gives your face a dewy glow and prevents shiny-ness from my experience.

I don't use any cleanser or acne treatment on my skin; I just wash my face with cool water once a day after I take a hot shower, then wipe a little bit of pure aloe vera on my face with a cotton pad. My acne is pretty bad right now since I quit using products a week ago, but I'm hoping it will sort itself out. I just wish this dryness would go away because my skin feels so tight and rough. :boohoo: Is this the result of 6 months of Benzoyl Peroxide killing my skin?

There is a lot of bad stuff in your water when you shower. The Chlorine that is in it really dries out your skin so it might not matter if you are using a moisturizer. Your best bet is to get a high quality shower filter that removes most of the chlorine and all the other junk like iron deposits. www.mercola.com sells an excellent one

There is a lot of bad stuff in your water when you shower. The Chlorine that is in it really dries out your skin so it might not matter if you are using a moisturizer. Your best bet is to get a high quality shower filter that removes most of the chlorine and all the other junk like iron deposits. www.mercola.com sells an excellent one

Lots of good advice here. I did just what johncat said and bought a culligan shower filter.. helps a lot. I'm in the same boat as you, QuirkyPixy. My skin has gotten much drier since i stopped showering twice a day (now once a day) and just putting jojoba oil and moisturizer on.

Try keeping your face a little damp after you get out of the shower, and put jojoba oil on right away. Then layer your moisturizer on top. That should help seal in the moisture from the water. At least that's what i'm trying, and it seems to help for the most part. I feel like i can add all the moisturizer/oil i want, but unless my skin gets wet, they don't help.

Also, great approach to fighting your acne problem. You've taken the biggest step already, and that's backing off of the acne products. That's so hard to do, especially when there's so many options, and so many people telling you what your skin needs. Be simple with your skin care and make sure it's properly hydrated and protected.