Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paco1515

Amazing - Skin Has Cleared in One Week After Dropping Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulfates

I ad decided to take a hard look at the product I have been using after realizing that there are absolutely no labeling standards for products that call themselves NON-COMEDOGENIC. Most of the products I had been using that promised they were "demitologist tested" and "non-comedogenic" actually contained products that were very highly comedogenic, such as sodium laureth sulfates and sodium lauryl sulfates. These are highly corrosive and highly irritating cleaning agents that are in the majority of soap products we use, and are the same active ingredients in engine degreasers and garage floor cleaners.

The problem is that SLSs are effective and cheap, so most companies have a high incentive to use them. But don't buy the hype if a product promises that it is "non-comedogenic" - I was using head & shoulders shampoo and Cetaphil to wash my face because I read on this site that those products were good for your skin - and Cetaphil in particular says that it's non-comedogenic. But both products contain SLSs, and after switching over to products that contain more natural ingredients my skin has completely cleared. My current regimen is:

Naked Naturals Shampoo & Conditioner

Aveeno Ultra-Calming face wash, moisturizer & shaving cream

Gillette Good News disposable razors

Aloe Vera (applied immediately post-shave)

Epiduo gel

Acne.org BP gel (for the back)

Pears non-oil bar soap (for the body when showering)

Even though I was hesitant to use some of these products because they contain "fragrance" (particularly the Pears soap), it seems the bigger difference has been made by using products that were more gentle on the skin and contained less harsh chemical ingredients. I would recommend switching over to a more natural regimen particularly if you are someone that has tried everything and is still prone to getting acne flare-ups from time to time. It might be that you are being harmed by the very products that promise to be helping you! Most importantly, don't trust that a product is good for you just because a company tells you it is. Unfortunately, companies treat consumers as just one factor in a cost/benefit analysis equation, and that doesn't prevent a company from using harsh chemical ingedients in their product even though it might have a negative effect on some consumers. The use of SLSs is so widespread, and most consumers are so ill-informed, that companies have little incentive not to use them.

HAHAHA, I've been preaching against SLS since I joined this forum, there is simply no benefits to using products w/ SLS on oily, acne-prone skin! It WILL worsen the condition guaranteed!

Thanks for posting, some questions:

How bad was your acne?

What kind of acne did you have - blackheads, whiteheads, cysts, etc?

What skin type? dry, oily, combination

Do you wash and moisturize twice daily?

Are you pretty much completely clear now?

Do you think SLS was the only problem, or parabens and other bad ingredients also?

How much of a factor do you think your topical medications are playing in keeping you clear?

Thanks a lot.

I call Cetaphil Shittyphil paco1515 :lol:I havent used anything with sodium lauryl sulfate since I joined this site. Unfortunatey, that hasnt been enough to clear up my skin. I agree with you though. You cannot automatically assume because a product is noncomedogenic that it is. Its a business and the companies say that to make a profit. I read the ingredients everytime I buy something for my face

Wait, does the Cetaphil moisturizer clog pores? O_O

Look up the ingredients; the links are above. If it works for you, it works for you.

I'm glad you found what works for you!

Here are two websites that have helpful listings of problematic ingredients (comedogenic and/or irritating):

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

Cocoa butter *shudder*... Rated at 4/5 for being comedogenic... One of my hubbys friends put cocoa butter on his face while we were visiting his house.... My jaw almost dropped... I yelled "stop! That is NOT for your face!" He said, I'm a guy, anything I use on my body I'll use on my face.

...How come some people's skin tolerate anything!?! :snooty: