Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dryandacne

purpose or cetaphil?

hello peoples,

i'm from london. my skin type is weird- its not at all oily and it tends to get dry and flakey at times, at the same time it is not oily on t zones and dry on the other areas .bassically i am not a combination i am 22...its more like normal to dry skin type. Recently i have been breaking out and few are (please pardon my description )the surface pussy ones and few are red unbreakable ones. I have tried obviously like many acne sufferes do practically everything......nutrogena, clinique, estee lauder, clean and clear, clearasil ..the list just goes on and on.

I managed to be acne free with flawless silky skin after i had my baby for a year ....i started using this product called - simple its no perfume ideal for sensitive skin with only natural ingredients a bit like cetaphil i guess but with natural ingredients on it. i guess it was hormones as well !

It wasnt until 2 months ago that i started getting these and 'simple' :think: was no help. I have no idea what is wrong ...i heard a lot about purpose cleanser but i am a bit apprehensive about buying it as it has fragrance and my skin does not react well with perfumed skin products but i want to get spot free. what about cetaphil ...it is a good one >?///..its really weird....it is meant for dry skin but i saw in youtube that ppl use it for acne treatment and it makes skin really dry if used twice a day..what is it all that ...anyone please enlighten my perplexed soul !

please,

many thanks

dry and acne !

I use Cetaphil and Purpose, both. Cetaphil bar also has petrolatum jelly in it which makes it ideal for skin that's prone to dryness. It works nicely though for my oily skin. I can wash twice daily with the Cetaphil bar and not feel 'tight' skin after washing. If you are very sensitive to fragrances, Cetaphil also has fragrance though in all formulations but the Gentle skin cleanser (the liquid one). I think all also have either Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or sodium Laureth sulfate, both of which are classified as comedogenic. Sodium Laureth is less comedogenic than Sodium Laureth though.

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm

I didn't see the ingredients for Purpose on their website but did find them on another website: SODIUM TALLOWATE, SODIUM COCOATE, WATER, GLYCERIN, FRAGRANCE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, BHT, TRISODIUM HEDTA, D&C YELLOW NO. 10, D&C ORANGE NO. 4. http://www.goodguide.com/products/138570-j...e-cleansing-bar The fragrance might be a problem for you. It is a lovely bar, though. :)

The Purpose gentle cleansing wash has: Water , PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , PEG-150 Distearate , Sodium Lauroampho PG-Acetate Phosphate , Fragrance , Quaternium-15 , Tetrasodium EDTA

according to a drugstore website.

So it looks like the Purpose bar MIGHT be better but it does still have fragrance in it.

Another important thing to remember is washing with cool or mildly warm water as hot water can be too drying and irritating.

hello peoples,

i'm from london. my skin type is weird- its not at all oily and it tends to get dry and flakey at times, at the same time it is not oily on t zones and dry on the other areas .bassically i am not a combination i am 22...its more like normal to dry skin type. Recently i have been breaking out and few are (please pardon my description )the surface pussy ones and few are red unbreakable ones. I have tried obviously like many acne sufferes do practically everything......nutrogena, clinique, estee lauder, clean and clear, clearasil ..the list just goes on and on.

I managed to be acne free with flawless silky skin after i had my baby for a year ....i started using this product called - simple its no perfume ideal for sensitive skin with only natural ingredients a bit like cetaphil i guess but with natural ingredients on it. i guess it was hormones as well !

It wasnt until 2 months ago that i started getting these and 'simple' :think: was no help. I have no idea what is wrong ...i heard a lot about purpose cleanser but i am a bit apprehensive about buying it as it has fragrance and my skin does not react well with perfumed skin products but i want to get spot free. what about cetaphil ...it is a good one >?///..its really weird....it is meant for dry skin but i saw in youtube that ppl use it for acne treatment and it makes skin really dry if used twice a day..what is it all that ...anyone please enlighten my perplexed soul !

please,

many thanks

dry and acne !

Ive never tried purpose but Cetaphil is HIGHLY OVERRATED!

Ive never tried purpose but Cetaphil is HIGHLY OVERRATED!

Not to me.

Really?

Well I'm glad it works for other people. I remember using the moisturizer and my face was like shine city all day.

The cleanser worked for awhile then stopped.

I like cetaphil but have never used purpose. My skin is very sensitive and also is normal to dry. More dry than normal. I wash my face, pat dry, leave a little damp and apply cetaphil facial moist. to combat the dryness. I do this morning and night. It does not fight acne though.

Thank you very much guys...it really helps to hear from you real people rather than having to dig under the truth and cynicism of these 'too good to be true' claims the advert make! i think eventually i am going to buy both and just alternate them i suppose. But for now credit crunch is a great punch to my finances - i m jobless! so i will go for purpose first and then see if it works for me ....thank you very much everyone ....coz one of u said - cetaphil does not fight acne then i guess i might as well just go for purpose first !

thank you very much once again,

have a good day everyone-

ciao*

I'm a big fan of the purpose.

I've been using it for a little over than a week now.

It's a really great facial wash, a little pricey for how much you get in a bottle but it's defiantly worth it.

It doesn't clear up your skin (for me it hasn't)- but it's really gentle, and removes all your makeup.

There are two reasons why I don't like cetaphil.

1. The liquid type has alcohol in it. Products with alcohol have always irritated my skin. I tried the stuff once, but it made my skin very irritated.

2. It left sort of like a film on my face. It made my skin feel stiff, like when I wash my face with soap.

I'm just not a big fan of cetaphil.. I don't feel like it washes all my makeup off.