Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tempt

Started the regimen 4 days ago...

Hey guys.

I started the regimen 4 days ago. I've been applying the following products twice a day, approx 12 hours between applications.

Cleanser - Neutrogena Oil-free acne wash

Benzoyl Peroxide - Galderma 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide

Moisturiser - Clean and Clear oil free, skin balancing moisturiser

I've already noticed results, however my problem is that my face is now red where I've applied the products, and I've started peeling. I basically look like I'm sunburned.

I live in Australia and am in the sun sometimes, could this be the problem?

Has this happened to anyone before, and anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

First off, if you're going to be in the sun, you need to find a moisturizer that has at least SPF 15.

Also, how much BP are you using? If you've just started, you need to be using a relatively small amount. Look here to see how much you should be starting out with, and how much you'll be working your way up to over the next month or two.

If you've started with too much, too fast (or if you've got sensitive skin), it might be a good idea to take things extra slow. Move down to even less than the recommended starting dose and work your way up slower. Skin needs time to adjust to using BP, and if you move too fast, it's going to lead to excessive dryness and irritation.

And look into finding a more gentle cleanser. Almost anything that says 'acne' in the name is going to be medicated, and that's not what you want right now. Your face is going through enough just trying to adjust to the BP. Adding extra anti-acne treatments (such as Salicylic Acid) is just overload, and will only lead to more irritation. Dan recommends some nice, gentle cleansers here.