Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karleeamanda

Almost all natural routine which is showing positive results

About me:

I'm a 22 year old female and have suffered from acne for a little more than 6 years now. I've tended to be more interested in the natural approach but have had many failures. I decided to try proactive which brought me some success for a short period of time but left my skin dry, red, and I still had pimples. My diet has been fairly healthy; I was vegan for 4 1/4 years ( just recently added seafood to my diet) but junkfood isn't something I consume often. Hormone changes due to pregnancy and nursing made my skin decent again but now that I've stopped breastfeeding my skin is back to it's horrid looking self.

I've been reading tons lately and I've been experimenting with natural ingredients.

I first tried drinking around 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar per day as well as applying diluted apple cider vinegar topically and then using virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer (plus baking soda as an exfoliator every few days). My skin was getting too dry so I gave up early and bought st. ives apricot scrub. BIG no-no!! I fooled around with a few more things and was starting to feel extremely depressed once again about my skin. With further reading I found a post that incorporated some of the ingredients from my earlier attempt and it sounded promising. I'm referring to delna's regimen which can be found on this website. I also did research on turmeric and it sounded promising as well....

I would like to outline the routine that I've created (which incorporates some of delna's regimen) and then give updates on how it is working. I've looked at these message boards over the last couple years but haven't wanted to register because I didn't have anything I thought was worth sharing. Now in these last few days the I've been on this routine I think I've found something that will potentially remove my acne and red marks. So far I am seeing results... i hope I'm not imagining this or speaking too soon. Here is my routine:

In the morning:

1.) I do not usea cleanser, I just gently wash with water.

2.) I create a paste out of baking soda and water and use this to exfoliate. (I very gently wash my face with it and rinse it off in less than 15 seconds because it can otherwise be too drying)

3.) I then tone with diluted apple cider vinegar which balances the skin's ph from using the baking soda (the ratio I use is 1:1 apple cider vinegar to water). I leave this solution on for 10 minutes and then rinse with water and pat dry.

4.) I moisturize with virgin coconut oil and dab off extra with a dry cloth because it looks a bit greasy otherwise. (It is extremely important to use virgin rather than normal coconut oil because it is unrefined and will not clog pores) I should also mention that is a natural sunscreen

Night:

I do not cleanse or tone at all...

5.) I rinse my face with warm water and then put on a mask made of egg whites and a few drops of fresh lemon juice. I leave this on for 10 minutes(or until dry) and then rinse off. This protein mask draws out impurities when it dries and the lemon helps with red marks.

6.) I then put on a very thin layer of benzoyl peroxide(2.5%). I think it's spectro acne care for sensitive skin that I'm using (I am hoping to be able to omit this step in the future but for now I am using it to hopefully get rid of the acne quicker)

7.) This step is sooooo important too me. I make a turmeric mask which is great for acne, red marks, and added moisture! I make a paste (not too thick) of turmeric powder and virgin coconut oil. I apply to my whole face and leave it on overnight. The turmeric helps the acne and red marks and the coconut oil helps with moisturizing.

I think the 7th step is what is really making a different in my skin. If my mind isn't playing tricks on me, I already notice a different in only a few applications of this turmeric mask.

My skin seems a bit more supple, less red, and pimply.

I must warn you, turmeric stains the skin yellow and it's a bitch to get off! I have very fair skin and in the morning after rinsing it off with water I look like a monster. However, as I mentioned I use baking soda to exfoliate and then apple cider vinegar to tone. After using these 2 products the yellow is mostly gone. When I apply the virgin coconut oil to moisturize, I gently rub a cotton ball over my face and the oil helps to remove any remaining yellow stains.

I know that home remedies sound like BS but you should read up on turmeric, it sounds truly amazing. And like I said, I will be posting updates to inform anyone who is interested if it is actually working. I'm excited.. I just hope I'm setting myself up to be let down.

I'm too embarrassed to post pictures of myself. Sorry, I know that pictures really help with providing confidence in a new method. I'll think about it.

- Karlee

Good luck! This is a great method and I hope it does work out for you! I do hope you'll be able to drop the BP in the future though. ;)

Well this is day 4 and the results are great! My acne is going down but the most noticeable difference is in the reduction of red marks and flakes. Today when I put my make up on it smoothed over beautifully with no flakes. My tone is getting better and I'm starting to regain confidence. Yay! I really recommend this regimen so far. The egg white/lemon mask and the turmeric/coconut oil mask are what's really doing the trick! I think I should have taken close up pictures before I started so that I could see that my mind isn't playing tricks on me. Anyway, I'll be back tomorrow with another update :)

Wow I hope it works out for you too!! I don't have much time since I have a 8 month old so I have to keep my regime really short and simple. I noticed mid pregnancy and two months after giving birth my skin was looking nice!! I was using purpose soap and their moisturizer than all of a sudden the bottom part of my face was darker than the top half, then the acne came back in spurts. I think 2-3 months PP :-( Oh well I wish you luck, hopefully my regime now works, I'll try to stay posted to see how you are doing. Good luck!!

hey Karlee, cool to see you found something that works! I stumbled upon Delna's regime about a week ago and have been doing it the past few days, I have seen improvements in my skin tone and red marks and just over all look of my face, but nothin jaw dropping yet! But im stickin to this one.

I'm interested in your experience with turmeric, I have been taking turmeric powder internally as a tea for so long now, it supposed to really cleanse your blood. I have this ayurvedic medicine book and it says a healing mask for acne skin is a paste of sandalwood and turmeric powders mixed in goat milk. But it says that your face will look yellow for some time, up to 5 days! Eeek.

I really waned to try it but this made me hesitant, but are you saying you have no remnants of yellow at allafter you've done your morning routine? Could I use jojoba instead of coconut oil?

I really recommend the turmeric mask. Jojoba oil should be fine as long as you've used it before and it hasn't caused breakouts. I would probably try it with milk but my body doesn't agree with milk products so I figure I shouldn't put it on my skin either. A paste of lemon juice and turmeric is good as well. And yes, in the morning after my regimen all the yellow is gone. I have a shower every morning and continuously dab(not rub!) my face with a wet washcloth until no more yellow appears on it. Then while I'm still in the shower I use a cotton ball soaked in coconut oil and go over my face with that. Then I move on to the baking soda. Then after the shower I use the apple cider vinegar and once I wash that off I reapply coconut oil. I know it sounds like a lot of effort but it really isn't. If you want to try a turmeric mask, you should probably put it on when you have no where to go the next day and then find the best method of removal that works for you. If you don't figure out how to remove it the first time, at least you won't have anywhere to be! I also read on an Indian message board that washing with cold milk or cream helps remove the yellowness really well.

I guess one more suggestion would be to include the turmeric in the egg white mask instead of doing it overnight (that is, if you're actually including that mask in your regimen or not). Then you can wash that off and by morning after you wash again it would be a lot easier to remove opposed to the overnight method.

Good luck!

I really recommend the turmeric mask. Jojoba oil should be fine as long as you've used it before and it hasn't caused breakouts. I would probably try it with milk but my body doesn't agree with milk products so I figure I shouldn't put it on my skin either. A paste of lemon juice and turmeric is good as well. And yes, in the morning after my regimen all the yellow is gone. I have a shower every morning and continuously dab(not rub!) my face with a wet washcloth until no more yellow appears on it. Then while I'm still in the shower I use a cotton ball soaked in coconut oil and go over my face with that. Then I move on to the baking soda. Then after the shower I use the apple cider vinegar and once I wash that off I reapply coconut oil. I know it sounds like a lot of effort but it really isn't. If you want to try a turmeric mask, you should probably put it on when you have no where to go the next day and then find the best method of removal that works for you. If you don't figure out how to remove it the first time, at least you won't have anywhere to be! I also read on an Indian message board that washing with cold milk or cream helps remove the yellowness really well.

I guess one more suggestion would be to include the turmeric in the egg white mask instead of doing it overnight (that is, if you're actually including that mask in your regimen or not). Then you can wash that off and by morning after you wash again it would be a lot easier to remove opposed to the overnight method.

Good luck!

Thank you for the tips :) I have the confidence to try it now, and yeah I'll just experiment first before a day I don't have to go out anywhere, and all should be good. Thanks again and good luck with your regime!

Okay... so I made a bunch of possible slip ups the other day. I went tanning, ate TONS of sweets and was really stressed out over final exams at school and relationship problems. Needless to say, I broke out the following day. This may be attributed to the tanning, sweets and/or stress or it may be that my skin is flushing out toxins from being on this new regimen. I'm nervous! VERY nervous. I feel that I may have been boasting too soon. My skin was beginning to look flawless after only a few applications... I'm really hoping my skin is just pushing out pimples due to the new regimen and that all will be well soon. I'm post an update in a few days. I read that this may happen so I'm putting my faith in it. Stay tuned!!!

I agree with the turmeric thing, it really helps! I recently started doing it as well and my hormonal acne is half of what it use to be. But I thought I would drop a tip, when I use the turmeric mask, i make it with chickpea flour and yogurt. After washing it off, I use rose water as toner and it takes a lot of the yellow tinge off.

I agree with the turmeric thing, it really helps! I recently started doing it as well and my hormonal acne is half of what it use to be. But I thought I would drop a tip, when I use the turmeric mask, i make it with chickpea flour and yogurt. After washing it off, I use rose water as toner and it takes a lot of the yellow tinge off.

So do you just leave it on for just a little while or do you wear it overnight?

I'm getting really worried now! My face is looking awful after a week of using it. Maybe I've been putting too thick of a layer on at night and perhaps I should switch to putting it on for around 30 minutes and then wash off instead. I read another post that recommended leaving it on over night though. So I'm really not sure if this is bad for my skin or if it's just that whole "it gets worse before it gets better" thing. I was so impressed after about 4 nights of using it and then it went down hill.

How long have you been using this mask for?

Thanks for the reply :)

So do you just leave it on for just a little while or do you wear it overnight?

I'm getting really worried now! My face is looking awful after a week of using it. Maybe I've been putting too thick of a layer on at night and perhaps I should switch to putting it on for around 30 minutes and then wash off instead. I read another post that recommended leaving it on over night though. So I'm really not sure if this is bad for my skin or if it's just that whole "it gets worse before it gets better" thing. I was so impressed after about 4 nights of using it and then it went down hill.

How long have you been using this mask for?

Thanks for the reply :)

I absolutely do not leave it on overnight... that seems like overkill to me(but I could be wrong). I only put it on for 30-45 minutes, 3 times a week. It could be that its cleansing all the impurities... or that your skin is getting aggravated (perhaps from leaving it on overnight). Try switching to 30-45 minutes a day, and see if it helps.

I'll try not to swear cause I have a slight swearing problem and I'm at the end of my wits with this shit but, does this ACV baking soda, tea tree oil regims really fuckin work??? I'm brekaing out all the time, I have more acen than I do tattoo's, it's getting unbareble. I'm 29 and my acne is gettin gowrse than ever. Do any of those things actualyl work, for years and years and years, all I did was wash with a gentle cleanser and that was it, nothign more and my skin was fine, minor brekaouts here adn there, now fo rthe past 5 months theve bene daily, i haven't changed anything other than eating perfectly healthy so I don't get it

I'll try not to swear cause I have a slight swearing problem and I'm at the end of my wits with this shit but, does this ACV baking soda, tea tree oil regims really fuckin work??? I'm brekaing out all the time, I have more acen than I do tattoo's, it's getting unbareble. I'm 29 and my acne is gettin gowrse than ever. Do any of those things actualyl work, for years and years and years, all I did was wash with a gentle cleanser and that was it, nothign more and my skin was fine, minor brekaouts here adn there, now fo rthe past 5 months theve bene daily, i haven't changed anything other than eating perfectly healthy so I don't get it

I know, it's so frustrating. Well, a lot of people have found success with the baking soda and acv method. I'm usually one of those people that is unlucky with these supposed miracle methods though. My skin was looking pretty good when I started this regimen but now not so much. I'm going to lessen my time with the turmeric mask and then I'll let you know.

If you haven't already seen Delna's regimen, go here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OMG-GUYS-THIS-t35135.html . This is where I got some of my information and a lot of people state that it's worked great for them.

If all else fails, I'm probably going to resort to Accutane :(

Your skin might also be purging on the new regim, but that's what we alwasy seem to hope. I'm always hesitant to try this home remedy crap because it never seems to work, you think positive and tyr it dilligently but to no avail. I used the lemon juice for red marks for over 3 weeks and my skin was worse. I jsut turned 29 and my skin was completely manageable for years, i might get a small whitehead that woudl fade in 2 days, etc, but that was stress based, eating horrible, lack of sleep, etc. Now it seems every single day there's a new zit in a new spot. Sometimes a red bump that doesn't seem to ever go away, sometimes a whitehead, some small, some big, also in areas that I havent had acne in years. I eat an almost flawless diet. I cut out dairy and sugar, i sleep 8 hours a night, I excersize, I TRY to limit stress, i drink about 5 cups of green tea per day, I was with a gentle cleanser that I've always used, I cut out yeast, etc. I still get breakouts, I woke up today wiht a new zit and a year ago, that never would have happened. I bought some baking soda, I want to try it but sometimes new breakouts that take forever to fade just arent worth it. When you have red marks on top of still fresh red marks, next thing you know, your face is a giant red mark, that is severly depressing. I want to try acv but that scarely me shitless. Whenever i use an acid based product, i burn up for hours, purple face, dry, on fire, never seems to help. PLus maybe it's jsut me, but everytime i seem to use moisterizer, I breka out, maybe it's a coinsidense, I don't know. I neve ruse to use anything other than a gentle cleanser, that was my whole regim, even a year ago, 6 months ago, thats all I did and my skin was fine but you hear everwhere that you need to cleanse, tone and moisterize, r u sure? Do you really need to? I didn't for years and I was fine, but yet now I'm not so I don't get it anymore. I drink green tea but Ive also heard you can use it as a spot treatmeant< how the hell do you do that? Just splash it on your face? I want to kill the bacteria but scared of more breakouts, maybe some tea tree oil will be safer, less irratating, does anyone know?

I used to use tea tree oil. It didn't work for me but many other people claim it's great. I'm assuming their acne is quite mild.

Isn't it shitty how you can have glowing skin one day and then in a couple of days you look your absolute worst? I can't believe I got excited so soon about this. I caved and went to a walk in clinic today and asked for accutane to which the doctor replied "no, that's a last resort". Boo, I want it soooo bad. Anyway, I was at least given oral medication (tetracycline) and some other topical crap. I've read both good and bad reviews on tetracycline and I'm hoping it will show results for me. I'm not sure if I should continue on with any of the rest of the routine. Perhaps I'll do a 30 minute mask every couple of days and back off from the baking soda and acv. I think I'm going to be brave and take pictures of my journey. My maternity leave ends in a month and I loathe the thought of applying for a new job whilst looking so horrible. It's embarrassing! :(

By the way. How do I add a picture... not to a post but just as a main picture that anyone can see below my name? I uploaded in the settings but it isn't showing up?

i used tetracyclene as a teenage way back when a few times, it didn't help me at all. Apparently with those antibiotics, the bacteria that aren't killed multiply and once your off the pills, acne comes back even worse. I'm not sure to the truth about that but as a kid, it did nothing at all for me, but it might work for you now, maybe it works better for adults, not sure. Ive been thinking about taking them as well but I don't know if acne gets worse on those antibiotics first, I can't remember. Ya, I'm at the end of my wits with this shit. Everyday theres a new breakout in a new spot, in spots that I never use to even get acne, not in 10 years. I'm gonna keep with the green tea and see what happens. I want to use the acv and the baking soda but paranoid of worse breakouts, might buy some tea tree oil but I don't know. The thing that I don't understand is why can't it be cut and dry, one thing shoudl work for everybody, not jsut a few ppl, If tea tree works then it shoudl work, period. If zinc works then it shoudl work for everybody. ive been taking zinc supplements a few times a day since december and it hasn't done absolutely anything for me

Zinc did fuck all for me. I've also tried other things that are supposed to help with acne such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and chromium. I was also taking apple cider vinegar internally but it's really bad for the teeth and extremely hard to get enough down to make a difference in the skin. I tried it for about a month and a half and it didn't do anything noticeable.

I've been reading reviews about tetracycline which for the most part are bad. Just like you said, most people just get worse acne once they discontinue use of the pills. Plus there are all of the potential unfavourable side effects. However, people tell me that my acne isn't that bad (I still don't know if they're just being nice or if they're serious) and if it really isn't as bad as I think it is, perhaps the tetracycline will work well? I don't know. We'll see. I imagine that I'll go through a couple of months of this only to end up with worse acne and horrid red and dry skin.

I'd love to think that nature can provide us with all we need for our skin but I'm just not sure.

By the way, how long has it been since you've stopped consuming sugar? I think it takes around 5 - 6 months to actually notice a difference if you cut that out of your diet.

been about a month or so. I havent cut it 100%, almost impossible. Ihad a brownie, i had a few cookies, etc. But compared to the way I use to eat, that is nothing. Before, even last year, I could go to mcdonalds a few times a day and no acne. I coudl eat mcflurries, cakes, cupcakes, cookie, drink pop, ice tea, etc all day long and have completely minor and controllable acne. So how can it be my diet? This is what I don't get. it coudl be the 29 years of bad diet catching up to me but that doesnt seem to happen to anybody else that I know. Could it be hormones, adrenal issues? maybe but if that is the case, diet shouldnt have anything to do with it. And if sugar andmargarine and all those bad foods increase the production of sebum so much, then why wasnt my face horrible everyday for all those years? I ate like crap, my diet was embarrassingly bad, I only weight about 210 so thats fine and my girl doesnt care if I have a few pounds of fat so I mean I ate what I wanted, excersized moderately of course but rgardless, ate anything whenever I wanted. If I missed a few hours of sleep before, I was ok, i might et a small red bump here or there but nothing real noticable. Now since December Ive had a breakout daily, in multiple areas, all differnt types of acne as well and they are scarring more than they ever did. I also cut out dairy other than eggs, its been over a month and I'm freaking out. Id give anything for a huge bowl of cereal right now, which is another thing I ae multiple times a day, cereal with sugar and milk, maybe 2 or 3 bowls if I was hungry, but yet my skin was normal, so how does any of this diet and acen thing make sense? If it is such a face that bad foods casue worse acne, then why at 28 my skin was fine and at 29 my skin is bad but yet I stopped eating those foods?