Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay this is very long, and may not be a very organized post. But read it if you're having trouble with acne. These are my personal observations of what works and what doesn't. I'm well aware that nobody's skin or body is the same and what works for me might not work for others. Believe me I've tried many people's "miracle cures" and they didn't work. But my suggestions might just work for somebody.

I'm 22 years old. I've been a sufferer of acne for about 10 years. I don't how how I'd classify the severity but I'd say pretty bad. I'd get about 4-5 zits per day on average and about 1/5 of them were the really cyst/lump that you couldn't pop if you wanted to (not that I suggest it). Pretty bad acne.

I tried everything, well okay, not as much as some people, but I did try things like Salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, cold water, hot water, rough scrubbing, gentle patting, toothpaste, and what not. I could not clear up my acne and I was seriously depressed. I know some of that stuff like rough scrubbing is really frowned upon but during 10 years of acne you try everything even if its the opposite of what you were doing one month.

I just happened to stumble upon something that worked a few months ago and I saw results in a week and it kept getting better but I kept telling myself -- don't get too excited, it may be that "placebo" thing.

Well it's been about 3 or 4 months and I'm about 99% clear. So I registered just to tell people how I did it because I'm so happy about finding something that worked.

My first observation is that (don't kill me) Benzoyl Peroxide is no good! I used it for about 10 years, sometimes as spot treatment and in the recent years a full face thing twice a day as per the regimen. I won't deny that it does "dry up" acne and that's why I used it but I learned it doesn't help in the long run.

This is what I've been doing every day. I have no idea what's necessary and what's a waste of time but I won't leave anything out.

I wash a pillow case every single day and flip it inside out and put it on the pillow right before I lay my head on it at night.

I wake up. I shave my face (obviously skip that if you're female). I wash my face with lukewarm water. I VERY gentle wash it with IVORY SOAP! I used to use Spectrogel Salicyclic Acid wash until I ran out, and tried the best alternative I had - ivory soap. I've been told that normal soap is a skin killer, but for me - it seems to be more effective than any acne face wash I've tried. Don't be skimpy on the soap. You don't want to rub your skin at all especially if you have bad, sensitive acne. Then I gently wash it off with the shower head. That's another thing. I also use the shower head, as opposed to splashing water on my face. I had a tendency to smack my face which when you have sensitive acne it's just asking for trouble. Use a clean towel to pat dry or just wait for your skin to air dry. I don't go for the "cold water to close pores" stuff. I have no scientific reasoning but I just can't see how it'd help. I wash my face in warm water than walk outside in -25C weather than go back inside to a 22C house. I don't know how pores work, but I think they'd be "opening and closing" all the time.

The next step is moisturizer. As a man, I know as much about moisturizer as I do the soap opera's on tv - absolutely nothing. I just used whatever I could find. Here are one's that I found that work - I didn't pick them for any reason, I just know they havent caused breakouts.

Neutrogena Combination Skin - My first choice I used this when I had sever acne because it said comodronic or whatever that word is - you know.

Neutrogena Facial Treatment with AHA Acid, - burned a bit but worked okay

Loreal Plentitude Active Daily Moisture - Works, but smells rather feminine..

Those were the main steps. Note; I wash my hands A LOT! Before washing my face. Before the moisturizer. After opening the drawer with towels. I wash my hands too much too be honest, but the point is - I make sure my hands are clean.

Gently Wash and moisturizer 2x a day.

Some other things I do every day are drink one or two glasses of some juice with 100% daily serving of Vitamin C. I also drink A LOT of water. I know experts say water doesn't help, but it certainly doesn't hurt. DIET doesn't seem to have any effect. I try to eat non greasy foods but sometimes I go on a binge and eat poutines (I'm from eastern canada), pizzas,c heeseburgers for 4 or 5 days etc and it doesn't seem to cause breakouts although I can't tell if it irritates existing acne - it's been a while since I had it! Althogh eating healthy is always good so if you think it works, go for it.

I also avoid hair conditioner, I don't know if it causes acne, but I'm scared to start using it again since my acne's cleared up good. My hair's kind of dry and un-shiny but that's a (necessary or not, I have no idea) sacrifice I made.

I also steamed my face for about 20-30 min once in a while. It didn't seem to hurt and made my face feel better but the idea of hot burning steam on my face makes me nervous. I don't know whether to recommend that or not. Use your own judgement there.

One other IMPORTANT thing I learned -- Cider Vinger = VERY BAD! -- I know some people love it -- so don't flame, this is my opinion not fact. My acne had mostly cleared up by the time I tried it out, I tried drinking it mixed with water for about a week. I had a VERY bad breakout on my forehead and on both cheeks. My skin was peeling from dryness despite moisturizing twice a day. I don't know if I drank too much or what, but let's just say I'm never drinking it again. I couldn't believe how much trouble it caused me after reading all the rave reviews.

But there are also some things I have to be honest about. The results of using just moisturizer will come slow. In my experience, the first week I was still breaking out (4-5 new zits a day) in places but I noticed that they were really small unlike the large cyst like bumps I got with BP. It's also hard to live with an acne covered face and not pick at it. I know - i've been there. But I used all my willpower not to burst big or even little zits. But you really should not pop them it does not help in the long run. They take a LONG time to go away, like weeks. The good thing is, when they do eventually "fall off" your skin will be healed underneath as opposed to popping them and having a red mark and potential scar for a long time ( I have quite a few scars from earlier y ears unfortunately) " Much longer than when I used BP.. but trust me, it's much better to be strong and patient than to load on the BP. I also noticed for the first few months that zits broke out around existing zits or sometimes in random places. I thought the moisturizer stuff wasn't as miraculous as I hoped. When that "patch" of zits disappeared after a few weeks, they never came back in that area. When you have acne, it seems to slightly overpower the moisturizer for a month or two, but as it dies down, the moisturizer seems to control it a lot better. So if you do happen to try my "regimen" and you're still breaking out once in a while and thinking, this sucks, what a load of crap, I'm going back to B.P. - just be aware I admit it takes a month or two or three before the breakouts stop .

Washing your face and moisturizing with existnig acne is hard. LOAD it on. I did. Hopefully your acne will soon die down and it will be easy with clearer skin and you can be less gentle.

I tried skimping on the moisturizer after reading that skin only absorbs a little layer of stuff no matter how much you pack on, I was trying to be cheap and frugal. It didn't work. Use enough.

You should avoid touching your face too! I have no idea if this is a myth or truth, but I avoid touching my face anyway.

I also tried moisturizing only once a day thinking I could only do it at night and have my face non-greasy during the day. I only did this for a week or so when I had really active acne, and it wasn't enough. I never neglected doing it twice a day again.

An observation - it isn't enough to do nothing. Before using moisturizer, I had the "brainy" idea that maybe we were too rough on our skin and that if I just didn't do anything to it - no washing with soap, no moisturizer - it would help. It didn't. You can't just neglect your face and say "well Evolution/God made my skin long before all this chemical crap so I'm not going to use it!" Acne is something you apparently have to work to keep away for possibly your whole life.

All the moisturizing will make your face extremely greasy, and that sucks. But IMO, i'd rather have a greasy face than a sore, red acne irritated face. Or a flakey B.P. covered face. If there's a moisturizer out there that isn't so greasy I'd LOVE to know what it is because I don't know anything about that stuff.

Also--- I still do get a zit popping up once in a while. I don't know why my "regimen' if you can call it that isn't perfect when it seems to work really well, but let me tell you, one or two minor ones (that go away in a few days) every 2 or 3 weeks su re is nothing to cry about after having dozens of huge bumps on your face.

Another thing, moisturizer makes my nose and just my nose break out. I also have no idea why that is, and I can't explain it, I just know if I moisturize my noise it gets covered in acne so I don't.

Well I think that's about it. For some people who are having trouble with acne - I strongly suggest giving up the Benzoyl Peroxide for a while, especially if you really hate it. The thing I found out with BP is it does work, but it's so hard on your skin and very drying. If I stopped using it for even a few days, I would have a major breakout. With using just moisturizer, my face is never dry, never sore, never red, never flaking. I used it again for a bit after my Cider vinegar breakout and I don't think it helped much, it dried up existing acne but seemed to cause new zits to pop up around it.

Anyway I really hope someone will try this because the results have IMO, been quite miraculous after a decade of scouring the web for herbal remedies and doctors recommendations. I couldn't believe that simple Ivory soap and Moisturizer were more effective than the Salicyclic acid and/or BP i'd believed were the only decent solution I had.

Don't get all ticked off at me for suggesting against stuff like BP and Cider Vinegar.. these are just my opinions, I've seen people get defensive on this forum so please don't. Obviously a lot of people like the acne.org regimen and if it works for you, fine. I spent a long time typing this stuff to maybe to help a person or two I don't want to get flamed for it!

I know using face moisturizer is nothing ground breaking and it's a part of the ACne.org regimne anyway, but I never used it before in my life (except with the acne.org BP regimen) so it was a new thing for me.

Anyway.. sorry this is all long and unorganized but hopefully someone gets something from it. Good luck everyone with your acne. Any questions or comments..feel free to reply.

Is this adamrodrigue in disguise or something? I swear it is. :lol:

This is definitely the work of adamrodrigue. It has all of the elements he delicately crafts in all of his posts: pillowcases, how BP is evil, nonsensical, false information.

*moderator edit*

To the thread starter, i agree 100% moisturizer and plain old soap (PH 7) is all i need to keep my skin clear and breakout free. It really is that simple.

I agree with you when you say use clean towels, wash in only warm water for short periods, keep your pillowcases clean and dont touch your face with dirty hands (well i dont know i touch my face all the time with unclean hands and dont break out).

Moisturizer definatly helps the skin heal and retain its elasticity, keep the skin non flaky and non-irritated. I noticed after washing with my 5star organic soap all i need to do is wash with it every other day. Since my lipid barrier is keeping the acne at bay i use less moisturizer, id say i use it every 2-3 days now.

^^^ to all the haters, keep hatin i love the attention.

To the thread starter, i agree 100% moisturizer and plain old soap (PH 7) is all i need to keep my skin clear and breakout free. It really is that simple.

I agree with you when you say use clean towels, wash in only warm water for short periods, keep your pillowcases clean and dont touch your face with dirty hands (well i dont know i touch my face all the time with unclean hands and dont break out).

In my personal opinion, moisturizer definatly helps the skin heal and retain its elasticity, keep the skin non flaky and non-irritated. I noticed after washing with my 5star organic soap all i need to do is wash with it every other day and my skin remains non-oily and not dry the days i dont wash with soap.

^^^ to all the haters, keep hatin i love the attention.

In my personal opinion, moisturizer definatly helps the skin heal and retain its elasticity, keep the skin non flaky and non-irritated. I noticed after washing with my 5star organic soap all i need to do is wash with it every other day and my skin remains non-oily and not dry the days i dont wash with soap.

Its funny cuz you are the topic starter lol lol lol :lol::lol::lol:

^^ you are being very juvenile, im not the topic starter. I dont even use loreal/neutrogena/ivory soap like this person uses.

Dude learn how to take a joke ur always being serious... Member stress causes acne to some people

Its also pretty funny how rob is a new member and the first topic he post is very similar to the views you have etc..... Somethings fishy here :think:

^^ you are being very juvenile, im not the topic starter. I dont even use loreal/neutrogena/ivory soap like this person uses.

Dude learn how to take a joke ur always being serious... Member stress causes acne to some people

You make jokes with no punchline, you are not funny by the way. You are accusing me of being rob that is not joking...

You make jokes with no punchline, you are not funny by the way. You are accusing me of being rob that is not joking...

Im not accusing you because i know thats you theirs a big difference....... Geez adam do you have to start making other profiles just to try and get more people to be like oh this regiman really works cmon man give it a rest

Im not accusing you because i know thats you theirs a big difference....... Geez adam do you have to start making other profiles just to try and get more people to be like oh this regiman really works cmon man give it a rest

Look either you are joking or not joking about me being rob.. make up your mind. I don't know why you insist that im making new screen names, i don't have to!

It's fine that people dislike my views of skincare, im just sharing personal experiences and what has worked and not worked for me just like everyone else on acne.org is doing. I don't know why so many people insist i should be taken with a grain of salt because i dislike chemical treatments (like BP) for acne. I like it how there is this strange cult following over chemical treatments of acne, try this on for size for you BP lovers!: Why not treat the skin and not the acne! Maybe if you just listen to your skin's needs you wouldnt be having huge breakouts every 2-3 days! :wall:

look aint no 1 forming a cult over your ass adam.... i think the reason people get on your case is because you always tend to bash peoples views if they dont coincide with yours thats why u have so many haters.... its like somone will state something and right away its like u bash them and say its happening because this and this or that and that.....And now your steeping so low that your making other profiles so other people can get with the "adam program"

I don't know why some people are always hating on adam

he has been very helpful to alot of people,posted great links,shared information and links that most people didnt even know about (shower heads) and will always reply to a private massage with lots of information which is very helpful (not one or 2 sentences)

he has been very helpful to alot of people,posted great links,shared information and links that most people didnt even know about (shower heads) and will always reply to a private massage with lots of information which is very helpful (not one or 2 sentences)

yeah right that fool dont reply to no private messages and no 1 is hating on adam get that straight homeboy

prettyboy, you are a nasty person! There is no need to be so rude. If you disagree with adam's views, talk about those rather than making attacks on adam himself out of nowhere in unrelated threads.

yeah right that fool dont reply to no private messages and no 1 is hating on adam get that straight homeboy

Listen kid from the way you talk tough and act on a forum,Let me just say this,If I ever saw you I would bitch slap the shit out of you if you came up to me with that tough talk

so leave it to the forum pretty boy :lol:

I've been off BP for about a week, 'cause I had a micro appt. yesterday. I REALLY want to get back onto, 'cause I had a breakout before my micro, cause like an idiot, I used another product while on the DKR...so friggin' dumb of me. Well now I'm just waiting to see if all these little whiteheads and bumps will go away without BP. If not, I guess I'm gonna hop back onto the regimen. But I'd really like to get off of BP asap. This sucks, it's so hard to decide.

^^dude you should be thinking about repairing, healing anc calming your skin after you had that micro! if you put DKR's BP on now you will screw things up royally for yourself. You need moisturizer especially if you had microderm done!!! soap, moisturizer and water cleanse once a day.. thats it dude!

make sure the soap is ph of 7 atleast

Adam check out this new cleanser i use

http://www.neostrata.com/store/product_det....asp?prd_cid=16

one of the ingredients is Triclosan

Its supposed to get rid of bacteria that can be problematic

check out the review on makeupalley

http://makeupalley.com/product/showreview....iance/Cleansers

^^ the first product has Sodium Chloride, so i wouldnt recommend.