Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lucas1

Keratosis Pilaris

For those that don't know Keratosis Pilaris is a very common genetic follicular condition that is manifested by the appearance of rough bumps on the skin, hence referred to as chicken skin. It most often appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms (though the lower arms can also be affected), and can also occur on the thighs and tops of legs, flanks, buttocks, or any body part except glabrous skin (like the palms or soles of feet). Less commonly, lesions appear on the face, which may be mistaken for acne.

I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions or tips on how they got rid of theirs

A little further down in the Wiki entry you got that from, there's a section on treatment, which says:

There is no cure for Keratosis pilaris, but treatment is available. One option is to use a loofa to remove the dead, dry skin. Another option is to use a dermatologist-prescribed cream or lotion that should be applied daily. The best lotions for this condition would contain urea, 15% alpha hydroxy acids, or Retin A. Over-the-counter lotions work also and should be applied after showering, as well as several times a day. These lotions are often soothing and can help improve the appearance of the skin. Dermatologists also recommend mild peeling agents, or alpha hydroxy acids, that may open up the plugged follicles. Antibiotics may also help in some cases where the bumps are red and badly inflamed. To temporarily reduce redness but not roughness, pulse dye laser treatment or intense pulsed light (IPL) can be performed.

Although it may clear up with treatment, recurrence of KP is very likely. Therefore, treatment should be continued regularly. It may take several months to years for the condition to completely subside.

I read that but one wiki can not be a reliable source and two it does not state what kind of lotions and such.

Well, you obviously felt that it was reliable enough to copy and paste into your original post. And while it doesn't list off specific lotions to try, it does suggest that lotions containing urea or 15% AHAs could be helpful.

I, personally, have used Dan's 10% AHA on the backs of my arms, and it seems to have helped me.

I, personally, have used Dan's 10% AHA on the backs of my arms, and it seems to have helped me.

Ok that is all I was wondering what other people were using and what worked thank you

Do a search on KP on these boards. You'll get plenty of hits and suggestions. Including AHAs, various dandruff shampoos, mechanical exfoliation (my favorite).

Hey there sorry if this is a bit late but I have had bad KP on my arms as well. I've been trying to find the website which talked about treatments but I can't seem to find it. Don't worry I remeber what it said because I laughed as it was the exact same thing as Dan's Regimen. It said to use either 2.5% or 5% benzoyl peroxide daily, and is twice as effective when used with an AHA lotion (such as Dan's). After I read that I used Dan's BP and AHA every day and now after about 3 months I don't have a single spot left on my arms. Maybe you could try that??