Notifications
Clear all

Does Tretinoin cream cause more acne?

MemberMember
(@xlkphotox)

Posted : 04/14/2009 10:06 pm

I have been using Tretinoin .025 for the past 5 weeks. I have seen some results and my pimples heal much quicker than they used to. Recently I have read that the tretinoin is comedogenic (its a cream) and it can cause more acne. Does anyone know if this is true? Although I have had some success I am by no means completely clear. I do know that it takes a while to see full results but I don't want to keep using something that will cause more pimples. Please help :(

MemberMember
(@xlkphotox)

Posted : 04/16/2009 8:50 pm

Anyone know?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 04/16/2009 9:18 pm

john1234 said:
Dr. Fulton answering a question about retin-a

I am using Retin AAA but I do not seem to clear up.

When I developed Retin AAA in 1969, it was quite an irritating formula. The more the skin peeled the better the acne would respond. However, during this peeling phase all the acne impactions are coming out so there may be an appearance of flare up of the acne condition as all of the impactions are being evacuated. Once all the pores are clear, the acne is under control and not visible . Also, if a patient is considering Retin AAA, they should use the Retin AAA gel and not the Retin AAA cream. The Retin AAA cream contains isopropyl myristate, which is an aggravator of the acne condition and sometimes patients will get worse because the formulation of the Retin AAA cream. There are also new formulations of the Retin AAA on the market, such as Micro Retin AAA that are better formulated creams than the previous product. The key is to keep the skin visibly peeling in order to get a rapid clear up. If there is no peeling whatsoever, your particular formulation is not working very effectively on your skin. You should see at least a little peel once a week to know you are at the right therapeutic level. Also, you may need to work with your physician or esthetician during this early phase to help extract out all the acne impactions that are coming to the surface. This will lead to a more rapid resolution of the problem

hope this helps a feel people, maybe you guys ahve read it.

Particularly interesting part is that he wants deliberate irritation (visible peel) for acne to rapidly clear up.

Perhaps the formula you're using doesn't have that ingredient, perhaps it does. Look at it and see, the ingredients should be either on the tube or on the patient insert or the prescribing information (which all patients should ask for and read!)

check the ingredients of your product against the following websites:

[removed]

[removed]

MemberMember
(@languages)

Posted : 04/17/2009 9:06 pm

Just check if your tube has isopropyl myristate, if it does, it is bad for acne.

MemberMember
(@rksp25)

Posted : 04/20/2009 6:10 pm

Mine has that ingredient is it. Should I stop using it?

I think it might be breaking me out.

WHY DO THEY BOTHER MAKING THIS WITH THE INGREDIENT?

So stupid. Seriously.

MemberMember
(@languages)

Posted : 04/20/2009 8:27 pm

Mine has that ingredient is it. Should I stop using it?

I think it might be breaking me out.

WHY DO THEY BOTHER MAKING THIS WITH THE INGREDIENT?

So stupid. Seriously.

It's really up to you. They probably use it because it's a cheap alternative.

Use at your own risk, I guess. I'd try switching to a different brand though.

MemberMember
(@trav19)

Posted : 04/29/2009 10:34 pm

Oh Lord,

I was just prescribed Tretinoin .025% cream by my dermatologist and picked up my medication today. I wish I would have come across this topic earlier! That's so frustrating that the manufacturers would put an ingredient that can CAUSE acne in a treatment FOR acne. I just don't understand.

It's really unfortunate because the dermatologist that prescribed this to me was at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas and I am now home in Dallas. Idk what to do! Oh Lord this is terrible lol.

I guess I'll just try it and go ahead and see what it does?

ugh.

MemberMember
(@banban)

Posted : 06/03/2016 12:52 am

I have the cream and gel. I only use the gel and im 2 months in. No active breakouts just tiny whiteheads on right jaw. Hope it doesnt do anything bad to you causei am hesitant on using the cream as well

MemberMember
(@derek-c)

Posted : 06/03/2016 3:46 am

Guys, if it's not working for her I doubt it has anything to do with the product having an ingredient that makes you break out...it doesn't even make sense, why would anyone make a product like that? Tretinoin has been around a long time, I'm sure it's fine. You guys are being really paranoid.

I had a similar problem, and I concluded that it was irritating my skin. So I switched to the weakest mg, .01%. I use a generic brand gel, and my skin seems to tolerate it much better. I only use a small pea sized amount at a time too. It has by no means completely cleared my skin, but it's kept my acne somewhat manageable (I also use benzoyl peroxide in the morning, a small amount).