Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cameron Sane

Emotional and Psychological Effects of Acne

Hey guys, I now realize how widespread emotional and psychological hurt is...due to acne. I was hoping to hear from others of you to see how it has emotionally affected you!

I know that from my personal experience it was torment. Before I got on accutane, I hate my life. Everyday I would think, "Only a few more months of this...." I couldn't look anyone in the eye, better yet be in the same room with someone. The two positive things I've recieved from a long battle (and still continuing) with acne is:

#1- I feel like no matter what challenge I face now, it fades in comparison to my past acne problems. It has made me long-term emotionally stronger.

#2- Religiously stronger. I needed a friend, God listened.

Sorry I rambled, once again I would love to hear from others to see how acne has affected you short-term or long-term!

You always hear people say long-term acne makes you stronger, it makes you more sensitive and an overall better person. All it's done to me is make me bottle up my emotions even more. I don't talk to anyone about anything that bothers me outside of acne.org. I can't talk to anyone in person because if you've never had long term acne (2+ years in my book) then you just don't understand. It's not an insult, I'd rather they didn't understand because I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. All I'm saying is acne hasn't made me "stronger" I just keep everything inside.

Acne brought me to a low point. It has been the only condition that has the power to dominate my thoughts. I can remember sitting in the dermatologists office on the verge of tears. I hated it so much, and I was all out of options. I just remember telling her I've been at ground zero for seven years and nothing is changing. Luckily, my derm was sympathetic and called me a couple of times at home to make sure I was doing okay. The antibiotics worked and I am pretty clear now, but I still have scarring.

I don't know how I managed to pull through. I guess you seek out inspiration from others who are there at the bottom with you. I don't have faith. I don't have a protector in the sky. The only thing I own is a belief that I can become more than what I am. I've made thousands of mistakes in this life, and I'm still dealing with the consequences.

I used to keep my problems inside, and I think that's the biggest reason why acne has had this lingering effect. I can't hide the problem. It's going to be on my face for the world to see. My biggest fear is vulnerability. I'd like to project an image of strength and durability. Truth is, I have a long way to go. I wonder what my final moments will be like. I've thought about how I will die too many times to count. Sometimes I think we forget that, and we believe that we are immortal beings. Things get so bad, and we fall into the trap of believing that the depression will stay with us. Death is inevitable, and the truth is everything could be gone before you even get to finish reading this sentence.

The only thing I want out of life is another day. 24 hours is too short, and I have too many things to learn. Life is a giant amusement park that you'll never get to finish.

i am 21 but i look like a 16 year old. ohhhh its terrible the temptation. one of these days i am going to get a charge for consenting with a minor. U.S. laws suck!

Acne brought me to a low point. It has been the only condition that has the power to dominate my thoughts. I can remember sitting in the dermatologists office on the verge of tears. I hated it so much, and I was all out of options. I just remember telling her I've been at ground zero for seven years and nothing is changing. Luckily, my derm was sympathetic and called me a couple of times at home to make sure I was doing okay. The antibiotics worked and I am pretty clear now, but I still have scarring.

I don't know how I managed to pull through. I guess you seek out inspiration from others who are there at the bottom with you. I don't have faith. I don't have a protector in the sky. The only thing I own is a belief that I can become more than what I am. I've made thousands of mistakes in this life, and I'm still dealing with the consequences.

I used to keep my problems inside, and I think that's the biggest reason why acne has had this lingering effect. I can't hide the problem. It's going to be on my face for the world to see. My biggest fear is vulnerability. I'd like to project an image of strength and durability. Truth is, I have a long way to go. I wonder what my final moments will be like. I've thought about how I will die too many times to count. Sometimes I think we forget that, and we believe that we are immortal beings. Things get so bad, and we fall into the trap of believing that the depression will stay with us. Death is inevitable, and the truth is everything could be gone before you even get to finish reading this sentence.

The only thing I want out of life is another day. 24 hours is too short, and I have too many things to learn. Life is a giant amusement park that you'll never get to finish.

:clap:

This is so me. Although acne wasn't really my main problem... it was just me

I think I still have the problem of dealing with myself because I can't stand being me. I remember in the past years I was pretty depressed, but looking back now I pulled through it and I'm still here today.

I think when you can look back at it all and know you've made it through the struggle of life and you're still here after all of it, there must be a reason for it. You've reached a point. Knowing that we could've given up at any point and looking at how much we've gotten in a positive way since then... that's what keeps me holding on.

We have years and years ahead of us. We have all the time in the world for things to get better. Why are we so hung up on feeling bad? I mean.. I KNOW it's hard. It is, I'm not going to lie. But we have a life and we have to keep living it, because we only live once.

If that makes sense at all. :lol: Sometimes I get distracted or carried away and then start rambling and making no sense.

:|

Actually I found Lyssa's comment to be very well written, from the heart and the honest truth concerning dealing with your insecurities and struggles in general.

I think I still have the problem of dealing with myself because I can't stand being me. I remember in the past years I was pretty depressed, but looking back now I pulled through it and I'm still here today.

Being yourself can be tough, especially in a world where individuality is replaced with conformity. We all have to look the same. Magazines and commercials hand down the blueprint. Everyone else follows.