Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neverforget

So bread and cereals aren't good for acne?

So there I was, for the past 5 months eating a lot of wholegrain bread and wholegrain cereals, thinking it was good for my acne. Apparently not though. Is this really true? I tend to eat these in the morning and at night, sometimes throughout the day. What should I eat instead?

Any answers would be highly appreciated!

in general yeah. but you can still try minmizing the amount that you eat, and buy a good quality wholegrain bread with no yeast. bread and grain products can actually make you constipated, think of all that chewy gewy starchy chime clogging your digestive system. substitute grains with more fruits and vegetables. apples, oranges, pears, carrots, green salad, theres tones of things.

It does vary from person to person. But it shouldn't be such a big part of your diet that you eat them day and night. Daily.

And gluten intolerance/allergy is extremely common and can damage your intestinal linings leading to more allergies as undigested food particles get through.

I would never justify the eating of box cereal as a health food, even if it doesn't break you out. It's just too processed. Fresh made oatmeal/grits are healthier cereal choices.

Bread is more easily justfied. It's largely individual how bread will affect your acne, but you can choose sprouted/sourdough breads and know that you're making a fairly healthy choice.

Thanks for all the great replys. I'll maybe try cutting them out of my diet for a while to see how it goes. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Cutting foods out of your diet unless its due to allergy will in alot of cases have zero effect to your acne. Im sure there are plenty of people with gluten intolerance etc etc, but i think for a big majority the reason they clear up from cutting out grains is that people consume a far larger portion of carbohydrates while eating grains. When they remove grains from the diet the carbohydrate options are greatly limited. The options people then switch to such as sweet potato provide less carbohydrates by the time they are full. Far too many people think they allergic to foods, rather than exercising portion control.

gluten allergy is not really the issue for most people. the problem is starch, complex carbohydrate. If you intestines are impaired in any way, and if you have acne they are, they won't digest starch efficiently. bacteria that lives within your intestines digests the starch and often generates chemicals that irritate your body. I think you'll find that you acne goes away if you avoid starches entirely. that includes sweet potato. you can eat any meat, eggs, butter. as far as vegetables, start by eating well cooked carrots, green beans, and squash. for fruit, eat apples and pears, but bake them. the premise, again, is to avoid carbohydrates that you cannot digest. it may be that you were on antibiotics for acne at some point, this can seriously derail your digestion. this is the way to fix it.

lol i wanna believe that the right nutrition can get rid of acne and other skin problems but evertime i look at this board there more and more foods that are 'not allowd'.

why not just go on a water fast

does any1 know what foods i should cut out for seb derm and p.follicultis

also ive been told by a homepath that i have leaky gut and gave me a crap load of different tablets to take and hemp seed oil caps. she dint say anything about changing my diet though ...?

all excellent replies. have you considered trying an anti-candida diet for a few weeks, just to make sure that's not what's doing it? I cut dramatically back on grains and eliminated sugars and noticed a significant improvement. it couldn't hurt to try. you can get your carbs from veggies and beans.

So there I was, for the past 5 months eating a lot of wholegrain bread and wholegrain cereals, thinking it was good for my acne. Apparently not though. Is this really true? I tend to eat these in the morning and at night, sometimes throughout the day. What should I eat instead?

Any answers would be highly appreciated!

Everyone is different. It depends if you are allergic to gluten or not

lol i wanna believe that the right nutrition can get rid of acne and other skin problems but evertime i look at this board there more and more foods that are 'not allowd'.

What's 'not allowed' is individual. There is however plenty no one should eat much of. And the OP said she ate bread all day long. And bread can hardly be a new one to you.

gluten allergy is not really the issue for most people. the problem is starch, complex carbohydrate. If you intestines are impaired in any way, and if you have acne they are, they won't digest starch efficiently. bacteria that lives within your intestines digests the starch and often generates chemicals that irritate your body. I think you'll find that you acne goes away if you avoid starches entirely. that includes sweet potato. you can eat any meat, eggs, butter. as far as vegetables, start by eating well cooked carrots, green beans, and squash. for fruit, eat apples and pears, but bake them. the premise, again, is to avoid carbohydrates that you cannot digest. it may be that you were on antibiotics for acne at some point, this can seriously derail your digestion. this is the way to fix it.

You are uninformed. It is.http://allergies.emedtv.com/food-allergies/common-food-allergies.html

Thank you so much for all the replies! To be honest, I didn't think this topic would go anywhere, but I really am glad it has.

I should of stated that I no longer have many breakouts. It seems that if I drink my 10 pints of water a day, the acne stays away :P

What I'm really focusing on are my red marks...Although, to be honest, they haven't changed at all in the past 6 months. I really just need a diet to try and boost the healing process I guess.

Thank you again for all the great replies.