Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
undertow

Product with NO Side effects

i heard about a month ago about a product for acne that will be coming out soon. its said to have no side effects. any new word on this product as when it will be out???

:dance: !!!!Read this!!!! :dance:

BBC News Article - Acne Cure with NO side-effects!

The friendly bateria called 'bacteriophage' automatically kills acne bacteria and is found naturally in the skin of non-acne suffers, this explains why some people have acne and some don't! :wall:

It will be ready in gel form within the next three years, so guys & girls - there is a light at the end of the tunnel! biggrin.gif

i guess it would would just like benzoyl perioxide but without the dryness and irratiation. BP works well for me but i just can't stand to use it for a long time--too drying. this could be the greatest invention ever.

Looks promising. Just remember that they said this was early research. Not everything at this stage works out in the end. But still, something to hope for. B)

I can't wait for it to come out, hopefully it won't be like antibiotivs, and the stuff that cause acne will become immune to it?

No, it's a bacterial phage, meaning it's a virus that kills bacteria (acne-causing bacteria, in this case) without any adverse side effects to normal cells (in other words, your skin!) with no chance of the bacteria ever becoming resistent. Hopefully it proves a success and won't be to expensive, although that will depend completely on how easy this virus is to replicate...

i guess it would would just like benzoyl perioxide but without the dryness and irratiation.

i guess it would would just like benzoyl perioxide but without the dryness and irratiation.

you forget the worst part... I RUINED ALL MY CLOTHES!!!

oh man when this stuff comes out some people are going to party like its 1969...

richt........

however I think this stuff will come out in about hmmm 4 years cause there is a new law that every new product must be tested in a large amount of time :wall:

you forget the worst part... I RUINED ALL MY CLOTHES!!!

oh man when this stuff comes out some people are going to party like its 1969...

richt........

however I think this stuff will come out in about hmmm 4 years cause there is a new law that every new product must be tested in a large amount of time :wall:

This sounds very promising. I did an experiment in my microbiology class involving bacteriophages and they totally wiped out a full plate of bacteria. It depends on the concentration of phages though.

Unfortunately, there are probably many types of bacteria that cause acne, and bacteriophages are often specific to only certain bacteria, and sometimes only certain strains of that type of bacteria. I know there are at least 32 strains of P. acnes. And I'm pretty sure that P. acnes is not the only type of acne causing bacteria. Nevertheless, I think this could be the end of acne!!!!!!!

I wish I could get in on the clinical trials... but with my luck I would probably get the placebo.

I have a question about this "bacteriophage" but first a comment. Me and my brother both suffered from acne as teenagers. I used all the acne products I could come across to get rid of it and he never really did as much. Now that were both in our 20's I'm still on the search for a cure and he doesn't have acne like he use to. Maybe a pimple or two for him, time to time but the thing is, he doesn't wash his face anymore and hasn't for some time now.

So my question is, us that use the acne products that cleans or disinfects our faces, are we cleansing too much and removing this "bacteriophage" from our skin which helps prevent acne? Has anyone tried not washing their face for some time to see if their oil glands quit producing alot of oil?

Also my wife doesn't have acne and rarely gets a pimple but when she washes her face like I do, she breaks out. I haven't tried the not washing thing myself, too scared it'll become worse. Just wasn't sure if anyone has noticed something like this or has tried it.

wat i use works for me, but i know where you're coming from, Baker. but if we really have this on our face, how did we get acne in the first place?

My question would be this.................

Does the BP we put on our skin kill the few bacteriophages we have on our skin?

I'm assuming that we (as acne sufferers) don't have NO bacteriophages on our skin? just less than someone who doesn't have acne? :think:

Flipside said: "I wish I could get in on the clinical trials... but with my luck I would probably get the placebo."

So my question is, us that use the acne products that cleans or disinfects our faces, are we cleansing too much and removing this "bacteriophage" from our skin which helps prevent acne? Has anyone tried not washing their face for some time to see if their oil glands quit producing alot of oil?

I actually -have- thought about the correlation between not washing my skin and my skin's appearance. I quit washing my chest and back about a year ago when I ran out of body wash and have had only a few pimples since. Hard to believe this is coming from the girl who never wore anything other than a tee shirt because other styles were too revealing... of my skin, that is.

I never quit washing my face because like you I am too afraid that my face would... implode, or explode, or maybe both would occur simultaneously. Wait, would that just leave your face normal? I guess it depends upon the brain pressure at the time of imploding versus the (...wait. I'm definitely rambling here.)

What I mean to say is that yes, I've noticed exactly the same things you have. Who can explain this?

eusa_dance.gif  !!!!Read this!!!!  eusa_dance.gif

BBC News Article - Acne Cure with NO side-effects!

The friendly bateria called  'bacteriophage' automatically kills acne bacteria and is found naturally in the skin of non-acne suffers, this explains why some people have acne and some don't! eusa_wall.gif

It will be ready in gel form within the next three years, so guys & girls - there is a light at the end of the tunnel! biggrin.gif

I found this... don't know if it helps.....

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/050707/aczone_fda...roval.html?.v=1

VANCOUVER, July 7 /CNW/ - QLT Inc. (NASDAQ: QLTI - News; TSX: QLT - News) announced today that it has received final approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to market ACZONE (dapsone) Gel, 5% for the topical treatment of acne vulgaris.

Patients will need to be screened to detect if they are predisposed to one type of anemia (hemolytic anemia) because of a specific enzyme deficiency, G6PD (Glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency. Patients who have this enzyme deficiency will need to be monitored with regular blood counts. In the ACZONE clinical trial program, 1.4% of about 3500 patients had this disorder which is consistent with the incidence in the general North American population. Certain populations, mainly males of African American descent, have a higher reported incidence of approximately 10-14%. QLT will undertake a post-approval Phase IV study in 50 acne patients who have G6PD deficiency and follow them for 6 months, after which QLT expects to submit an application to the FDA to re-evaluate the ACZONE label.

"We are very pleased with the FDA's decision and confident in ACZONE's potential as a new class of treatment for acne patients," said Paul Hastings, President and Chief Executive Officer of QLT Inc. "ACZONE represents an important clinical advance in dermatology, has demonstrated safety and efficacy in over 4,000 patients, and is an important first step for QLT to market our own products and establish our own commercial organization."

ACZONE gel 5% is the only acne treatment to harness the potential of dapsone in a topical formulation to provide patients with a convenient and effective therapy.

QLT owns worldwide marketing rights to ACZONE, which was developed by QLT USA, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of QLT.

About ACZONE

ACZONE is an aqueous topical gel containing 5% dapsone. Combining dapsone in a Solvent Microparticulate (SMP) gel enables dapsone to be applied topically and safely. In two randomized double-blind, vehicle controlled clinical studies in 3000 acne patients, ACZONE Gel achieved statistically significant percent reduction in the number of acne lesions and better success rate on the Global Acne Assessment Score. The most common adverse events reported from controlled clinical trials include oiliness/peeling, dryness, and erythema. There were no significant differences in the adverse event rates between ACZONE Gel and vehicle control treated patients.

QLT Inc. is a global biopharmaceutical company specializing in developing treatments for cancer, eye diseases and dermatological and urological conditions. We have combined our expertise in the discovery, development, commercialization and manufacture of innovative drug therapies with our unique technology platforms to create highly successful products such as Visudyne® and Eligard®. For more information, visit the company web site at www.qltinc.com.

Conference call information

QLT Inc. will hold an investor conference call to provide a strategic update for ACZONE on Friday, July 8 at 8:30 a.m. ET (5:30 a.m. PT). The call will be broadcast live via the Internet at www.qltinc.com. To participate on the call, please dial 1-800-525-6384 (North America) or 780-409-1668 (International) before 8:30 a.m. ET. A replay of the call will be available via the Internet and also via telephone at 1-800-678-0453 (North America) or 402-220-1458 (International), access code 7700175.

ACZONE is a trademark of QLT USA Inc.

Visudyne is a registered trademark of Novartis AG

Eligard is a registered trademark of Sanofi-Aventis

QLT Inc. is listed on The Nasdaq Stock Market under the trading symbol "QLTI" and on The Toronto Stock Exchange under the trading symbol "QLT."

Certain statements in this press release constitute "forward-looking

statements" of QLT within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation

Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, the

statements with respect to: ACZONE's potential as a new class of treatment for

acne patients, the ability of QLT to complete a post approval phase IV study

in acne patients who have G6PD deficiency and whether the outcome of that

study will result in any change to the approved label for ACZONE, and QLT's

ability to establish its own commercial organization and to market ACZONE with

that commercial organization and those statements using words such as "will,"

"potential," "expected", "anticipates" and "pending." Forward-looking

statements are predictions only and actual events or results may differ

materially from those reflected in the forward-looking statement. Factors that