Raised bumps on my ...

Notifications
Clear all

Raised bumps on my chin - scars?

MemberMember
(@tanyas)

Posted : 04/14/2009 10:16 am

Hi!

Last year, my doctor prescribed a regimen of Duac gel and Tetralysal antibiotics against my acne and it has worked wonders :) My acne has cleared but I am left with scars. I have depressed scars on my cheeks but to be honest - that's ok with me. Mostly, because they are so faint anyway and they are gradually becoming less visible. I am very happy with the outcome of the regimen. I never thought it would be possible considering the severity of my acne.

I have, however, found another type of scar on my chin. I am near-sighted so I didn't notice them until the end of November of last year. They look like raised bumps and are skin-coloured. They do not itch and they haven't grown. My chin would sometimes suffer from breakouts (and it did happen a few times during the acne treatment), so these bumps could be scars from those breakouts. But I suspect that I got these scars from "over-treating" my chin with facial products sometime in October. I let go of the over-treating strategy early on when I noticed that my skin on the chin become very sensitive.

Anyway, these bumps are raised and skin-coloured. They are not active (IOW, they are not sensitive, filled with pus or anything along those lines). Just regular bumps. Plus, almost all of the bumps have started to flatten this month although they are still raised.

Although they are small, I have become a bit self-conscious about them. Especially since I googled for pictures on "hypertrophic scars" and found lots of pictures of "keloids". Hypertrophic scars and keloids are not the same thing, but I think we have all been in a phase where we become very self-conscious and worry too much. So now I am worried. I think my worry also stems from the fact that the acne treatment was so successful that I am almost waiting for a mishap to occur.

I think they are hypertrophic scars, although I started reading about sebaceous hyperplasia. They couldn't be keloids (please don't let them be keloids!!), because they don't look like the keloids that I found on google. They also don't fit the pathophysiology of keloids.

So my questions are:

Does anyone else have these bumps and what are they?

Sincerely, T

PS. I have uploaded a picture of my chin to this post, but my bumps aren't as visible in real life as they are on the photo. I had to make a funny face just so that they would show. But pictures always help with these sort of posts so I attached it anyway. DS.

Woops... The picture wasn't uploaded...

Let's hope that it works this time :)

post-100068-1239722162_thumb.jpg

post-100068-1239722162_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@tanyas)

Posted : 04/14/2009 1:36 pm

Here is a clearer picture of my chin.

Please look to the right (your left) of my chin, where you can see a somewhat elongated bump on my chin. The other bumps are flattening out while this one looks slightly different in shape. So it has me worried. Could it be a keloid? I really really hope it's just a hypertrophic scar because it seems to behave like a hypertrophic scar.

post-100068-1239734202_thumb.jpg

post-100068-1239734202_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@amanda8lynn22)

Posted : 04/17/2009 12:09 am

Please look to the right (your left) of my chin, where you can see a somewhat elongated bump on my chin. The other bumps are flattening out while this one looks slightly different in shape. So it has me worried. Could it be a keloid? I really really hope it's just a hypertrophic scar because it seems to behave like a hypertrophic scar.

Looks like scarring to me. There's actually a few posts on here with people who have the same thing. I have some scarring like that on my chin, but I also have comedonal 'bumpy' acne only on my chin as well. (probably the cause of the scars)

If they don't turn into whiteheads and arent puss filled/inflamed, they're probably not acne. I don't know what you're currently using, but retin-A or dermabrasion could help if you're looking for treatments. I wish I had a chin like yours, mine's currently covered in bumps. Yours isnt really noticable.

MemberMember
(@tanyas)

Posted : 04/17/2009 5:36 am

Looks like scarring to me. There's actually a few posts on here with people who have the same thing. I have some scarring like that on my chin, but I also have comedonal 'bumpy' acne only on my chin as well. (probably the cause of the scars)

If they don't turn into whiteheads and arent puss filled/inflamed, they're probably not acne. I don't know what you're currently using, but retin-A or dermabrasion could help if you're looking for treatments. I wish I had a chin like yours, mine's currently covered in bumps. Yours isnt really noticable.

Hi Amanda :)

Thanks for the reply! I am looking for some feedback, because my Doc refuses to do so.

I have read some of your posts regarding bumps on the chin so I know a bit about your situation. If I'm not mistaken, you suspect you're suffering from Gram-negative Folliculitis?

Yeah, my bumps are completely inactive. No sensitivity/pus/inflammation/whiteheads so they cannot be acne - like you said. I just wanted to get some verification or at least some feedback that they weren't keloids.

One bump seems to have changed colour a bit, so I am treating it with Skin Perfection Gel From MD Formulations (to dry it out because it seems to have some sort of faint activity. Hard to explain). I am doing it gently though, since I don't want to cause any additional damage to my skin.

The other bumps are very small and I am very happy about the outcome of my treatment.

Unfortunately, I have a Doctor who likes to be secretive about the meds he gives me. He doesn't want to give me false hopes which I understand. But I point out to him that I am studying medicine so I know that it's hard to treat skin disorders. I also point out that I am not asking him to give me a concrete answer (ie tell me the actual outcome of the treatment), just a hint as to WHY he wants to prescribe certain drugs to me. So far, I have gone home after the Doctor's appointment and read up on the prescription drugs. And then I've headed to town to purchase them. He should be providing me with this information but he refuses to. I guess he's afraid of law suits or something.

He also likes to interrupt me as soon as I enter the room, so I can never actually tell him the purpose of my visit. That's a big problem where I live - Doctors that don't listen.

Because I have had big problems with my acne in the past, I am still self-conscious about myself (despite the positive outcome of the treatment). Add to that the fact that I have a Doctor whose only reply is "I can't tell you that. We shall see" to EVERY QUESTION I ASK, I feel like I'm all alone in my battle against the acne. And when I find myself in that sort of situation, I start to over-analyse and worry about the most outlandish things.

I am re-visiting my Doctor in 11 days with my mother so that she can force him to answer my very basic questions. I only want answers to calm my nerves. I am tired of fighting with him and still having to pay for the visit, but get no answers.

I've had very inflamed acne on my cheeks since the age of 18. The occassional breakouts on my chin as well. The acne on my skin appeared overnight and I could never get rid of it. I know my acne was stress-induced although many people on this site claim that stress has nothing to do with it. I was in a very bad situation when I was 18 and it made me very depressed and anxious. I also started bad eating habits (thank God I have a very strong metabolism) which made it worse. I couldn't sleep at night because of the constant worrying and so on.

I visited a few doctors but they told me to wash my face with BP. It only made it worse.

Last year, my current Doc (the secretive one) prescribed Duac gel and Tetralysal (tetracycline) antibiotics to me. I travelled to Asia during the first month of the treatment and I think the humidity and heat (I was rarely in the sun, however) augmented the restorative effects of the treatment.

When I returned from my trip, my skin was almost completely clear. I was left with a few depressed scars on my cheeks but they are relatively superficial and are fading away. In November, I discovered the bumps on my chin but I decided not to do anything drastic. My skin is now completely clear with very faint scars.

My skin care is comprised of:

[*]Prescribed drugs (these I will stop using gradually until the summer and start using BP gels)

[*]A GENTLE skin cleansing/moisturizing regime

[*]A relaxed way of living and a positive outlook on life (I decided not to stress about my situation anymore when I returned from my trip. Without a change of outlook, I would probably still suffer from acne. Excuse the New Age but: if you feel good, you look good).

Amanda, I hope it works out for you. I think you will find a solution to your problem. Is it ok if I add you as a friend? If I find anymore information that could be of help to you, I would love to pass that info on to you.

Sincerely, Tanya

MemberMember
(@tanyas)

Posted : 04/17/2009 5:44 am

Regarding dermabrasion and similar treatments: I have to be careful because of my dark skin. Sometimes, the skin will become hyperpigmented or the scarring will be worsened. The risks are basically elevated in people with darker skin.

Where I live, almost all of the clinics turn to clients with fair skin (I live in northern Europe). The clinics I have spoken to have refused to help me because of the risks involved with treating non-Caucasian skin. Hopefully, they will have better methods in the coming years that could help me when my skin is ready for such treatments.

Thanks again for your help! :)

MemberMember
(@lillymay77)

Posted : 11/20/2010 6:54 pm

QUOTE (tanyas @ Apr 14 2009, 01:36 PM)

you can try injections for these

MemberMember
(@strangeskinbumpswtf)

Posted : 11/24/2010 4:15 pm

I've got bumps just like that. I'm at my wits end. They look god awful in the wrong lighting, almost freakish. Otherwise my face is clear. I've tried retin-a, aha, bha, accutane, antibiotics(could be the cause of these things), etc. I'm now trying mederma, because I dont know what these could be besides scars. I have these same bumps for about 1-2 years.

Let's keep this thread going, I'm pretty sure we all need the support of those with the same problem.

MemberMember
(@abara)

Posted : 11/27/2010 9:22 pm

I had the exact same thing too.

I had alot of pimples on my chin when I was in teenage years.

But mine's very unnoticeable now.

Just apply 8% or 15% AHA every other night on your chin, I have also tried retin a which didn't make a difference at all.

And apply BP in the morning if you still break out on there.

Take your mind off them for a while~ I am sure if my case was the same as yours, AHA really would work at evening out them.

MemberMember
(@ahhhhcne)

Posted : 11/28/2010 1:25 am

I sympathize with you! I've had acne ever since the age of 12, and with age my acne worsened and the type of acne I have started changing. In in my mid 20s I started getting this "cobble stone" texture on my chin.

I've tried every treatment under the sun!!!!!!!, peels, facials, medications, even changed my diet, exercized more cuz I figured the problem must be internal, and nothing has worked! Although I will say, if you have moderate to severe acne Retin-A is a great product!

While Retin-A helps me control my acne, it has no effect on the "cobble stone" texture in my chin. It's like there are swollen seabacious glands under my skin. I decided maybe it's something Fraxel could fix - a laser treatment that smooths out the texture of acne scarred skin (which typ. looks like craters). The esthetician said she had a three ladies come in who were all related, getting Fraxel treatments, they had the same exact texture, she also said they had the same body type as me (carry more weight around my the mid section) which is symptomatic of a hormonal imbalance called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome ), which they are treating with a medication called Spirnalactone ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000733 ).

I was overjoyed the esthetician had patients with my skin type, it meant she had a solution for me! She recommended I go see my doctor and get my blood tested for any food allergies and a possible hormonal imbalance.

I had never seen anyone else with my problem, which has made me very self-conscious because I find ppl staring at my chin in conversation and not my eyes. The esthetician said Fraxel would smooth my skin out (cost about $350 for just the treatment of my jaw line) - trust me this is cheap compared to the over priced products, facials, and $80 tubes of Retin-A, for petes sake I spent $500 bucks on Obagi skin care which basically didn't work. BUT SHE SAID THE PROBLEM IS INTERNAL, OVER ACTIVE HORMONES WILL BRING THE COBBLE STONING BACK IN ABOUT 6 MONTHS. A topical Spirnalactone cream is available, as well as oral, this is the generic version which cost about $30 bucks, the brand name Adelactone is a lot more expensive.

Ladies I hope this helps you! trust me, it's internal. Check out the links I provided, hopefully the listed symptoms and info will give you more insight. Stop wasting money on mainstream or typical topical products and facials that don't work and get to the root of the problem.

I'm planning on going to my doc to get this remedied once and for all!

Here is a pic of my chin = (

post-141545-1290925000_thumb.jpg

post-141545-1290925000_thumb.jpg

yas21 liked
MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/14/2010 7:14 pm

They aren't scars. Dr's just say that because they don't know what they are, but they're not scars. Ever notice it's usually only women who have it? Ever notice it's only on the chin? That right there says it's not scars.

I was going to bring up PCOS, because I found out I have it too. That may be the common denominator.

I don't know how to get rid of them yet. I've been taking an anti androgen and that doesn't work. Not sure I would go with fraxel, especially if they aren't scars. If I find something that works I'll update.

MemberMember
(@sandy100)

Posted : 07/01/2011 3:49 pm

Hi all

I have the same thing

Few years ago I had small bumps on my chin (hardly noticeable)

Years after they are spreading and getting bigger.

My chin would sometimes suffer from breakouts and most bumps comes after already healed pimple.

It is the same color of my skin, like skin access.If I stretches the skin, the bumps disappear

I went to 3 different dermatologist, and I didnt get a clear answer...(maybe rosacea...sebaceous glands growth). I tried fraxel laser, but it didnt help.

I would love to hear any opinion

Thanks

Sandy

post-153564-1309553386_thumb.jpg

post-153564-1309553386_thumb.jpg

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/30/2011 4:25 pm

They aren't scars. Dr's just say that because they don't know what they are, but they're not scars. Ever notice it's usually only women who have it? Ever notice it's only on the chin? That right there says it's not scars.

I was going to bring up PCOS, because I found out I have it too. That may be the common denominator.

I don't know how to get rid of them yet. I've been taking an anti androgen and that doesn't work. Not sure I would go with fraxel, especially if they aren't scars. If I find something that works I'll update.

I disagree. Im a guy and i have these on my chin.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/30/2011 4:26 pm

I.also.habe it.on my forehead

MemberMember
(@njt)

Posted : 11/03/2011 8:14 pm

Maybe this?

http://www.skinsight.com/adult/syringoma.htm

yas21 liked
MemberMember
(@lillymay77)

Posted : 11/08/2011 9:09 pm

I have the same problem :(

MemberMember
(@sandy100)

Posted : 11/09/2011 1:59 am

Hi Lilly, it is so hard to see if we have the same problem, your picture shows a clean smooth chin :-)

MemberMember
(@cottoncandi)

Posted : 11/09/2011 2:20 am

I have the same problem, i use to have a nice chin, now its riddled in scars and bumps

http://tinypic.com/v...?pic=9sgojk&s=5

Where? I see a perfect chin. Man sometimes this site makes me feel so self conscious.

MemberMember
(@lillymay77)

Posted : 11/09/2011 8:02 am

No believe me I have bumps, and dents as evident by the picture. They really show up in person, they leave me self concisious. very. My chin use to be perfect, ha no more. :(

MemberMember
(@myadultacnecure)

Posted : 12/30/2011 10:09 pm

i have a couple of these that show up when my skin gets really bad...then they stick around for a couple months...

they stayed there for 5 years or so until i finally cleared up my skin the first time.

then i was too cheap to keep up my skincare and i broke out again and they came back. now i am back on my skincare and they are disappearing!

so i don't think they are scars although i thought so for 5 years ^-^

MemberMember
(@duck757gmail-com)

Posted : 01/11/2012 7:37 pm

any updates?

MemberMember
(@jrevor)

Posted : 01/12/2012 4:51 am

I have lots of scars like that all over the face. It's depressing, because if they are keloid scars i'm not even admissible for laser treatments or subcision for my deeper holes

Edit : And im a man

Hi all

I have the same thing

Few years ago I had small bumps on my chin (hardly noticeable)

Years after they are spreading and getting bigger.

My chin would sometimes suffer from breakouts and most bumps comes after already healed pimple.

It is the same color of my skin, like skin access.If I stretches the skin, the bumps disappear

I went to 3 different dermatologist, and I didnt get a clear answer...(maybe rosacea...sebaceous glands growth). I tried fraxel laser, but it didnt help.

I would love to hear any opinion

Thanks

Sandy

Sandy my chin is like that but i also scars like that on my nose and on my cheeks, , so i suppose that our skin heals similarly. Because my acne was extremely severe (and because of my, and my father's stupidity , was untreated), I also have lots and lots of holes on my cheeks and temples. You said that fraxel didn't improve the "bumped" scars, but I was wondering if Fraxel worsened the rest of your skin. I'm thinking on doing fraxel and laser treatments, and I'm really scared if my skin heals like bumps, which is gonna be even worse.

Thank you so much

Amariee liked
MemberMember
(@yas21)

Posted : 01/18/2012 12:53 am

HI, everyone I'm so glad to hear i'm not the only one who has these, I too have tried to so much to get rid of these bumps. I have gone to three different dermatologist past two years one finally seem to know what they were and recommended laser. I did laser 3 sessions out of the 5 that was recommended but they are still there. I've suffered from acne my whole life but its not that bad its actually nothing compared to these bumps they are small and skin colored and only on my chin and I hate them to death. One dermatoligist said they were ance scars and they would basically never go away. I like what I read because I don't feel like im the only one, I've never seen the bumps I am on anyone my whole life so why do I have these. Well actually I don't care why I have them I just want to get rid of them. I already know I have oily skin and suffer from acne I'm sure its all correlated but thing is i've taken antibiotics like minocycline and I've used benzol peroxide and retina and nothing works.

someone please help!

thank you

also can someone tell me how to upload a pic so I could post a pic of what I have.

thank you!

MemberMember
(@andres-lara)

Posted : 02/04/2012 8:37 pm

I've been treated with Accutane 3 times in my life. Since completing my first round I've had some scarring and flesh colored bumps on my chin. My dermatologist thought that they could be scars, but I never really had acne on my chin. I don't think these are scars and instead I think it could be Syringoma. These bumps bother me most of all, so I would really like to find some method of treating them or improving their appearance.

I have found a doctor who has had success treating Syringoma. It seems that he has used C02 lasers, which is fine because I plan to have some laser resurfacing anyway, or electrocautery to treat them. I finished my third round of Accutane 3 months ago, so I am not supposed to undergo any ablative procedures for another 3 months. I really hope he is able to diagnose these bumps and can offer me some type of treatment.

post-140044-0-15943800-1328405819_thumb.

post-140044-0-87404800-1328405825_thumb.

post-140044-0-15943800-1328405819_thumb.

post-140044-0-87404800-1328405825_thumb.

MemberMember
(@talabeso)

Posted : 03/15/2012 2:52 am

I've been treated with Accutane 3 times in my life. Since completing my first round I've had some scarring and flesh colored bumps on my chin. My dermatologist thought that they could be scars, but I never really had acne on my chin. I don't think these are scars and instead I think it could be Syringoma. These bumps bother me most of all, so I would really like to find some method of treating them or improving their appearance.

I have found a doctor who has had success treating Syringoma. It seems that he has used C02 lasers, which is fine because I plan to have some laser resurfacing anyway, or electrocautery to treat them. I finished my third round of Accutane 3 months ago, so I am not supposed to undergo any ablative procedures for another 3 months. I really hope he is able to diagnose these bumps and can offer me some type of treatment.

Hi any news about ur co2 laiser couse i want to do it if u recomend it

As i have the same case as u

Thankssss

MemberMember
(@elm74hotmail-com)

Posted : 03/15/2012 12:17 pm

I have this too - all over my chin. I assumed it was scars resulting from my 24 years of acne (worst on my chin). I am still not clear, so can't try anything to get rid of them yet. Have had microdermabrasion which did nothing. If I ever get to being clear I was thinking of trying microneedling, but haven't seen much about it on here.