Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nutmeg_trippin'

Hormone spikes after orgasm and suggested treatment- I am onto something

Hello all

Some background:

I have had moderate and occasionally cystic acne for a long time, since my teen age. 18 now. Topicals do barely anything for me. Accutane worked well for about 1.5 years, then all came back to normal. I am on another course now, also taking Zinc 100mg/day. No dairy, low sugar, low saturated fats, whole bread diet. Diet changes do not seem to have much effect, nor the Zinc.

First of all, do not say that acne is not related to orgasm. Everyone is different.

I have always read about the controversial acne/orgasm link. After some time, I have managed to completely stop masturbation (male-female activity once in a while). I can guarantee that for me, orgasm is practically the only thing breaking me out.

While it seems that I have found my cure, there is a problem. After a long time of no-masturbation, the semen build up has to be expelled by the body, which is expressed as wet dreams. If my skin is relatively clear, and I have a wet dream (say on day 1), I will seriously break out during days 3 and 4.

Orgasm causes fluctuations and spikes in different hormone levels.

DIM (Diindolylmethane) 100mg per day didn't do much- which suggests that Estrogens are probably not what's causing my problems. All that is left are the Androgens- mainly Testosterone.

I am not sure if it is a rise in Testosterone after orgasm or a rise in the more bioactive DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) that causes the breakouts.

To conclude, my plan is to find something that will either reduce Testosterone activity or block DHT, and take it only during the 2-3 days after I experience an orgasm, since their side effects scare me away from taking them daily (as with anything that alters the hormonal system).

Please, share your opinions about my theory. I'll be glad if anyone could suggest anything that might help.

Thanks!

I 100% agree with you

I have seen no correlation between sex and acne but i always break out when i masterbate

and when i go through phases when i don't it improves so so so much that it isn't a problem probably classed as mild to moderate certainly no cysts and n spots on the side of my face or cheeks - just in t zone

when i do it gets much worse

If i masterbate the next day i break out

so i don't

lol going to try this and i thought acv was hard xD

It might be really hard at first, but IF you'll see that there really is a correlation (for you specifically), then you'll end up making it.

Anyone has any opinions about what I wrote and the possible treatment I suggested?

Well, I can't really comment on your theory much, because my knowledge of hormones is limited, and I hadn't previously heard of this correlation, but it might be interesting to know if it makes a difference whether the breakout is worse when orgasm is achieved through interaction with another person than through masturbation, as I hear oxytocin levels post-climax are significantly higher in both males in females when it's a result of interaction with a person than from masturbation. I guess if there's a difference maybe oxytocin could be having an effect.

Interesting idea, I might have to test out my own reactions as well. I don't think it would have occurred to me to notice a correlation before.

Ok I have moderate acne and I'm gonna try this from today.

I haven't masturbated since Sunday so this is day 3, without it.

Okay i'll keep a written log here. I will do that, people always say they will then forget about it lol.

I to have noticed when I haven't masturbated my skins got better, i'm going to find out for sure whether that's just coincidence or NOT>!

Ok I have moderate acne and I'm gonna try this from today.

I haven't masturbated since Sunday so this is day 3, without it.

Okay i'll keep a written log here. I will do that, people always say they will then forget about it lol.

I to have noticed when I haven't masturbated my skins got better, i'm going to find out for sure whether that's just coincidence or NOT>!

i tried this last week and things really did look wayyy better and i got sooo confident...and i began to go out more..then on Friday... out of nowhere BAM i got like... 10 new pimples!

arggggggggggg so annoyingggg

so nope i don't think masturbation had anything to do with it so.. i took care of something i should have done a week ago today hehe..

i have this problem. I got pimples after orgasm (by sex or masturbation) but when i dont do nothing i have a clear skin. why ?!?! >.<

I've been going like this for two months.

I noticed two things. My face becomes less oily if I don't masturbate and oily if I don't masturbate for a long time. Weird huh? So I masturbate every 2-3 weeks when I'm so horny that I feel like it's doing more bad than good.

There have been several good threads about it. Someone suggested taking a zinc pill right after doing it. I've been doing it and it seems to work to be honest.

But it's really odd with the oil. After masturbating my oil glands seem to be more active for 3 days and then cool off, so I need to take extra care of my face and use blotting sheets. I've been able to avoid breaking out.

I'm wondering if this is a dominantly male problem?

As a female, I've never noticed a change in my skin after masturbation, nor after having sex with my fiance. None, what so ever and I have yet to find a topic where females are complaining about this happening, though I've seen guys suggesting it (not that it doesn't affect some females)

Hm..just curious.

Stop masturbating? Are you crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wall::wall:

I don't mind to stop masturbating. Now sex is a different story! It's great to have sex. Though, I'm a virgin!