Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mayjune

Scared of using makeup.

My skin has cleared up for the most part but I have a lot of hyperpigmentation. Unfortunately, while I was actively breaking out, I ended up picking up a fear of things touching my face. Not really a fear, but I try to avoid having anything touch my face like the plague. This means food, my hands, my hair, making sure my face doesn't touch the pillowcase when I sleep, etc. This also applies to makeup but not to things like my moisturizer or sunscreen.

I've had acne since I was about 13 years old and I'm 19 now. No matter how severe it got, I refused to wear makeup except for a couple of times out of fear it would break me out further. Well, now I'm tired of going out feeling super self-conscious of my hyperpigmentation and I want to start using makeup to cover it up. So basically what I'm asking...

Does anyone have any advice for someone who is scared to use makeup? At the moment I have two BB creams, Skin Food Aloe and Skin 79 Dermax, that I plan on using when I start wearing makeup although I'm open to any other suggestions for foundation/tinted moisturizer. Thanks for all your help.

Hi there, trust me, I feel your pain about makeup! To start off, your best bet is to probably just use a concealer. If you introduce one product at a time and stick with it for a month or so, you will be able to somewhat figure out which product is a potential acne trigger. Concealing is helpful because you won't be covering up areas of your face that are clear. Try a long wearing concealer that doesn't require powder to set with (again, the idea of only starting off with one product at a time). Revlon colorstay concealer has good reviews.

If you finally get to the point where you would like to use a foundation, here are a few tips I've learned along the way. Be careful with spf's - chemical barriers as opposed to physical barriers can irritate skin and clog pores. Sunscreen is very important but you may want to find a high quality separate sunscreen and apply it before a foundation that is spf free. Also watch for anything in the ingredients list ending with "cone". Such as silicone, dimethicone etc. Some people have no problems with these ingredients but others like me, find that they clog up pores and suffocate the skin. Mineral makeup tends to be a hit or miss. Watch out for bismuth oxychloride-it can cause itchining and irritation. Also watch out for mica (many mineral foundations contain it), it definitely caused a nasty reaction on me.

Good luck with your search! By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what skincare routine did you use to clear up your skin?

Thanks for the advice Isabella123! Well for the longest time I was using neutrogena products (acne foam wash, acne scrub, acne clearing moisturizer, etc) but my breakouts were still pretty bad. It wasn't until I had a horrible reaction to their acne stress-control toner that I decided to stay away from neutrogena for a while. I decided to switch to clearasil for my face wash(ultra gel wash and the ultra acne clearing scrub for when I feel like I need to exfoliate) and as for moisturizer I use Clean & Clear oil-free dual action moisturizer with salicylic acid. I'm still searching for the perfect sunscreen though I hear the Shiseido ones are really good.

After switching to clearasil there was an immediate improvement. My breakouts went from having several cystic pimples at any given moment to maybe one or two pimples around the time of my period. But it wasn't until I started to use the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask that my skin really began to clear up. The blackheads and clogged pores on and around my nose have improved 90% and it's cut down my breakouts to maybe a tiny pimple once in a blue moon. At first I used the mask everyday for a week but now I only use it every few days. I suppose that my improved diet and more exercising has helped too. I never used benzoyl peroxide because I had a horrible allergic reaction to it when I tried Proactiv.

Thanks mayjune! I'll have to revisit that tube of Queen Helene's mask that I have in my cupboard. I've read amazing reviews on the Queen Helene's Mud Mask too(can't remember the name, its in the white and brown tube). Thanks again!

My skin has cleared up for the most part but I have a lot of hyperpigmentation. Unfortunately, while I was actively breaking out, I ended up picking up a fear of things touching my face. Not really a fear, but I try to avoid having anything touch my face like the plague. This means food, my hands, my hair, making sure my face doesn't touch the pillowcase when I sleep, etc. This also applies to makeup but not to things like my moisturizer or sunscreen.

I've had acne since I was about 13 years old and I'm 19 now. No matter how severe it got, I refused to wear makeup except for a couple of times out of fear it would break me out further. Well, now I'm tired of going out feeling super self-conscious of my hyperpigmentation and I want to start using makeup to cover it up. So basically what I'm asking...

Does anyone have any advice for someone who is scared to use makeup? At the moment I have two BB creams, Skin Food Aloe and Skin 79 Dermax, that I plan on using when I start wearing makeup although I'm open to any other suggestions for foundation/tinted moisturizer. Thanks for all your help.

I feel you. I at times want to apply a little makeup here and there, maybe some foundation, mascara, eye shadow but my skin is soooo sensitive that I'm completely afraid of putting anything on it.

Hi

I haven't read the other suggestions but I would highly recommend getting foundation and concealer from Mary Kay. You would have to find a Mary Kay consultant because these products are not sold in stores (I guess you could visit their site).

A few years ago, I became very sensitive to all forms of foundation and concealers. It would only take five minutes before my face started itching. But I felt like I had to use makeup for certain situations to cover my acne (ie, job interviews).

Then I discovered Mary Kay. I can wear their products for A WHOLE DAY without reacting.

Hope it helps!

hey i get worried about wearing makeup too, but i always wear it when i go out anyways. some things i do are:

-use a primer for my skin to prevent makeup from going into it

-make sure i get all makeup off before going to bed and neverr sleep with it - i use makeup remover wipes for my foundation, and eye makeup remover for eye makeup before i begin my regime at night - i also take my makeup off as soon as i get home - im not going to wear it if i dont need to

theres not much else you can do and just hope your skin doesnt react to your makeup while youre wearing it

Heres my advice. Just dont buy oil based foundations. Water based foundations will not make your skin worse. I totally understand about not wanting to wear make up for the fear of it might break you out since I also have sensitive skin and I can relate to that but you just have to find one that works for you.

Definitely look for make-up that says "non-comeodegenic" (sp?) or "acne-genic." (Granted, there is never a 100% guarantee that they won't make your skin worse, but the above labeled products are less likely to wreak havoc upon your skin.) I use Almay liquid foundation (the one with salycilic acid in it) and Almay TLC powder. The L'oreal mineral foundations are also really good; they're powder, blend really well (for me, anyhow), and they never caused me to break out. You can find starter kits at Wal-Mart, which include a foundation, concealer, and blush.

If you're afraid to use make-up, I suggest starting with a powder foundation and working your way up once your comfortable. Also be careful about the color. Most foundations have a pink undertone, which won't blend for a more natural-looking coverage. (I've found that Covergirl usually has pink undertones, Physician's Formula, and some of the Almay foundations even.)

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Definitely look for make-up that says "non-comeodegenic" (sp?) or "acne-genic." (Granted, there is never a 100% guarantee that they won't make your skin worse, but the above labeled products are less likely to wreak havoc upon your skin.) I use Almay liquid foundation (the one with salycilic acid in it) and Almay TLC powder. The L'oreal mineral foundations are also really good; they're powder, blend really well (for me, anyhow), and they never caused me to break out. You can find starter kits at Wal-Mart, which include a foundation, concealer, and blush.

If you're afraid to use make-up, I suggest starting with a powder foundation and working your way up once your comfortable. Also be careful about the color. Most foundations have a pink undertone, which won't blend for a more natural-looking coverage. (I've found that Covergirl usually has pink undertones, Physician's Formula, and some of the Almay foundations even.)

I ignore that because nowadays almost all products say noncomedogenic. Reading the list of ingredients is a better idea.

I ignore that because nowadays almost all products say noncomedogenic. Reading the list of ingredients is a better idea.

Which ingredients should be the most avoided, do you think?

@ WaisianPrincess - my skin has gold undertones; what brands of foundation that you know of have a yellow base? Right now I'm using Physician's Formula, but yeah, it is too pink.

It's really hard to find a make up that wont clog pores.Most say they wont~but they lie.

I hate the fact so may make ups contain SPF.It's almost impossible to find one that doesnt.

I was using maybelline Pure make up which is supposed to be 50% water and wont clog pores,but it contains mica and gives my face a werid shiney look.

Cover girl has too much fragrance.

Revlon Colorstay is great for coverage,but very thick and contains SPF and I'm quite sure it's a pore-clogger.

I've tried Bare minerals and all that "natural" powder crap and honestly,it was no better.I Still had zits and it did nothing for my oily skin.It just slid right off my face.

My derm suggested anything that has a main ingredient of water,but suggested Almay.

I asked if Bare minerals was better because it was natural,and he said,and I quote,

"Poop is natural too,but you wouldnt put that on your face,would you?"

It may seem harsh but the man is the only one who has gotten my skin clear,so I'm gonna listen to him!

I used to be scared, too, but one day I just decided, "Oh, what the hell." I wear foundation now and I don't break out any more than I normally do. The most important things to consider when using makeup are if there are any irritating or comedogenic ingredients in them (you can consult the zerozits list or something for this) and always make sure you properly remove every trace of makeup (I highly recommend Purpose gentle cleanser for this) because no matter how "safe" your makeup may be, your skin will always suffer if you don't get it all off at the end of the day. Also, don't forget to properly sanitize any makeup tools (brushes, sponges, etc) on a regular basis with an antibacterial cleanser or alcohol because you don't want to spread bacteria around.

As for foundation recommendations, Revlon Colorstay is a popular choice and and they have a range of shades that are mostly yellow so you're likely to find one that suits your skin tone. Wet N Wild's tinted moisturizers are more like light foundations, and they're more yellow-based as well. Neither of these are comedogenic. You could also try MUFE; it's more expensive but it's better quality and they have a lot of color selections.

Oh yeah, just wanted to add that I used Maybelline Pure Makeup before, but it made me break out. :/ Too bad because it looked really nice on.

I feel your pain... my skin breaks out for nothing!

Trying a make-up out for a while to see how your skin reacts to it is always a good idea as each persons skin will react differently.

The only foundation i will use on my skin is Almay SmartShade make up, its got SPF 15 and is non-comedogenic. It has never broken my skin out and provides light, very natural looking coverage.

Remember always remove make-up when you get home, never sleep with make-up on! ;)

[Deadonfive, I use Almay SmartShade and Almay TLC powder in medium. Estee' Lauder also has great foundation that will suit your needs, but it is a bit pricey.

Has anyone heard anything or tried the new Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder Foundation SPF20, i have heard it is supposed to be good or acne prone skin as it's gentle and healing???

I am 4 weeks into the DKR and my face is still a bit red and flaky. I bought Revlon colourstay and it didn't make me brake out anymore than usual i don't think but it was balling up because my skin is still a bit dry and flaky like i said. I have the Revlon Colourstay mineral powder foundation too which is easier to apply at the moment because there is no rubbing. So i am after a powder foundation i think, and was wanting to give this Elizabeth Arden one a try but thought i might try and find some feedback first.

Thanks to anyone who can help! ;)

Which ingredients should be the most avoided, do you think?

@ WaisianPrincess - my skin has gold undertones; what brands of foundation that you know of have a yellow base? Right now I'm using Physician's Formula, but yeah, it is too pink.

I avoid anything with a bunch of extracts and I avoid isopropyl misterate and isopropyl palmitate

I have been using Origins makeup for years and it is the best that I have ever found. I am really prone to breakouts so I generally try not to wear any makeup but when I go out at night or on a special occasion I like to look nice and this makeup is really gentle and natural looking. My mom recommended this brand of makeup to me when I was 16 and it's the only thing that has ever really kept me clear. It's made out of plants and it's super light so it's almost like wearing nothing at all. They sell Origins in most department stores (I get mine at Macy's) and it's a little pricey but well worth it. Right now I use the powder foundation and cheek highlight for my combination skin. They make liquid forms of these as well as a ton of other mascaras, eyeliners and concealer sticks. If you go to the makeup counter the people there will help you find the shade and type of makeup that is best for your skin type.

Hope this helps! :)