Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is taking 50 mg of zinc gluconate as a supplement safe daily safe and will it help improve acne conditions?

Some evidence suggests that 30 mg of zinc daily may be helpful for acne. This is a safe dose for most people. However, in many studies of zinc for acne, a much higher dose was used: 90 mg daily or more.

Long-term use of zinc at dosages of 100 mg or more daily can cause a number of toxic effects, including severe copper deficiency, impaired immunity, heart problems, and anemia.

For best absorption, zinc supplements should not be taken at the same time as high-fiber foods.

When taking zinc long term it is advisable to take 1 to 3 mg of copper daily as well, because zinc supplements can cause copper deficiency. Zinc may also interfere with magnesium and iron absorption.

Studies suggest that people with acne have lower-than-normal levels of zinc in their bodies.This fact alone does not prove that taking zinc supplements will help acne, but several small double-blind studies involving a total of over 300 people have found generally positive results.

In one of these studies, 54 people were given either placebo or 135 mg of zinc as zinc sulfate daily. Zinc produced slight but measurable benefits. Similar results have been seen in other studies using 90 to 135 mg of zinc daily. Some evidence suggests that a lower and safer dose, 30 mg daily, may offer some benefits. In some studies, however, no benefits were seen.

Two studies have compared zinc against a standard treatment for acne, the antibiotic tetracycline. One found that zinc was as effective as tetracycline taken at 250 mg daily, but another found the antibiotic far more effective when taken at 500 mg daily.

Keep in mind that the dosages of zinc used in most of these studies are rather high; case reports indicate that people have made themselves extremely ill by taking zinc in hopes of treating their acne symptoms.

Sorry about the mix up. I actually take 60mg of zinc as zinc acetate which is 400% DV of zinc.Sorry about that.

Hehe, scared us there tongue.gif

Personally, I was on NOW brand 'opti-zinc' (50mg zinc + some copper) for a while, but I noticed that every time I took a pil without a meal, it started making me feal nauseous. That was a common observation in zinc studies, when people took high dosages.

Now I just take 30mg Solgar Zinc Citrate, and everyting is fine. However I haven't seen any big results yet.

Guest Brandon

I just started to take zinc...I believe 60mg a day, and I've noticed that my pee is a bright yellow/green color. This is very strange to me, because I drink about 100 oz. of water a day! This is so far from clear urine that it's not even funny. I have only seen this a few times; usually later in the day. I don't know what it could mean.

if your a guy, taking 100mg+ puts u at a MUCH higher risk of testicular cancer, I would never go higher than 40mg myself

hey guys..... i found this site on google. the question is.... i read where taking 2- 50mg tabs, twice a day will stop me from having so much body odor when i sweat. but each time i take it, i get real sick to my stomach and my head hurts. now that ive found this site about zinc, is this too much to handle?? the site that told me that said to do this routine for one week, than 2 tabs once a day after that. it said i should stop "smelling" after a week. anyone ever heard if this, or is it BS. i know im sick from taking this much. :redface2: thanks for the help.

my multi-vitamin has 30mg of zinc and 2mg of copper but sometimes I take more zinc seperately in 30mg, so usually Im getting 30mg, somedays a little more. you still get zinc from some of your foods tho

hey guys.....  i found this site on google.  the question is....  i read where taking 2- 50mg tabs, twice a day will stop me from having so much body odor when i sweat.  but each time i take it,  i get real sick to my stomach and my head hurts.  now that ive found this site about zinc,  is this too much to handle??  the site that told me that said to do this routine for one week,  than 2 tabs once a day after that.  it said i should stop "smelling" after a week.  anyone ever heard if this,  or is it BS.  i know im sick from taking this much. :redface2:    thanks for the help.

Hi,

in regards to zinc supplements, as a bodybuilder I have ZMA which is a combination of Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B6. Its used to elevate testosterone levels and promote a better sleep (or that what studies claim).

How would this supplement work with acne? I'm also on accutane so I can't use my multi vitamin/mineral anymore.

It might be a good idea to cut down to just the one zinc tablet a day. They can make you feel sick to your stomach. Make sure you are taking the zinc 10 mins after food, I got a tip on that from a friend and the best time to take it is at night. In the morning and on an empty stomach is the most likely reason people feel sick when they take zinc.

P.Acne (LOL your name cracks me up) that zinc, magnesium and B6 combination would be good. I take Bio Zinc by Blackmores which is magnesium, zinc and all the B vitamins except B5. They call these the 'co-factors' you need to take along with zinc. My bottle says it's good for acne sufferers and any skin disorders.

Missy

Hey Guys, I take a Multi-Vitamin, 500-1000 mg Xtra C per day, 1000% RDA of B-complex, 50 mg zinc Gluconate, Acidophilus, Flax Seed Oil too. not much difference really. ! zinc does not doo anything. If vitamins/Minerals were the root cause of persistant acne medical science would be aware of this by now.

Unfortunately science knows next to nothing about acne. Anyways, Zinc has been through many clinical trials that have shown good results in terms of reducing acne. You may want to add B6 to your reg. Most people don't see results on Zinc without B6.