Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Alex Worhopper

Does acne medication make acne worse?

So, before I ever started treating acne I only had a very mild case. Now whenever I apply benzoyl and clindamycin my acne gets somewhat better but it never gets to be as good as it was before I ever started treating it. Could it be that somehow using topicals hinders the body's own immune response? Also perhaps benzoyl peroxide promotes inflammation, thereby making acne worse? What do you think?

Recently I decided to drastically improve my diet. Basically will be eating vegen (no eggs, fish, poultry, meat, or dairy). I am looking forward to seeing if this makes any difference. I'm not quite brave enough yet to just stop using all topicals, since I'm afraid I'll have a breakout. But hopefully this diet will cause some improvement.

So, before I ever started treating acne I only had a very mild case. Now whenever I apply benzoyl and clindamycin my acne gets somewhat better but it never gets to be as good as it was before I ever started treating it. Could it be that somehow using topicals hinders the body's own immune response? Also perhaps benzoyl peroxide promotes inflammation, thereby making acne worse? What do you think?

Some people do report increased breakouts from acne medications. I know that I personally have adverse effects from a few select commercial topicals.

Recently I decided to drastically improve my diet. Basically will be eating vegen (no eggs, fish, poultry, meat, or dairy). I am looking forward to seeing if this makes any difference. I'm not quite brave enough yet to just stop using all topicals, since I'm afraid I'll have a breakout. But hopefully this diet will cause some improvement.

Why do you think vegan diets are healthy?

Some people do report increased breakouts from acne medications. I know that I personally have adverse effects from a few select commercial topicals.

Why do you think vegan diets are healthy?

I am not saying vegan diets are healthy. I just think perhaps I was eating a bit too much milk and meet. Previously I was eating bacon, eggs, steak, every day. If I see improvement cutting all this stuff out, I'll know that maybe one of these things is causing and adverse effect.

Did you break a formulation of benzoyl peroxide? I think I might be breaking out to netrogena on the spot.

Take it from me, I speak from experience.

YES, it will make your face worse.

Acne medication works by bringing all the imperfections to the surface and then getting rid of it.

IT WILL GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER!

Yeah, I started getting cysts when using acne medication. On top of that, my skin is not the same as before anymore. Compare the skin on your arm to the skin of your face. It should have the same texture. But mine is not the same anymore. It's sad.

I am not saying vegan diets are healthy. I just think perhaps I was eating a bit too much milk and meet. Previously I was eating bacon, eggs, steak, every day. If I see improvement cutting all this stuff out, I'll know that maybe one of these things is causing and adverse effect.

Well, just don't do it by eating more processed grains and vegan faux foods.

Although topicals like benzoyl peroxide can kill bacteria, they can also irritate your skin, causing swelling and inflammation, which basically does make acne worse. Never trust a topical when it claims to make acne worse before it gets better (unless its an antibiotic)...what its really doing is irritating your skin and some people's skin get used to that medication and puts up with irritation and some people's skin doesnt.