Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xOhannah3

accutane round 2

hey guys!

I took accutane for 6 months 3 years ago. I had very severe acne and it clearly me up for about 6 months and then I just battled mild-moderate acne from then until lately. Lately, my acne has gotten much more severe and my current meds (bp, differin) are no longer working. I'm going back to see my derm for the first time in over 2 years in June and I'm really expecting that he will start me on accutane again. I'm terrified to go through the experience again, but I'm almost 20 and I've been fighting with my skin for seven years...I'm ready to get it settled!

What are some of your experiences with taking accutane for the second time? did you have the same type/level of side-effects? Did you take for as long?

Hi! I've been on accutane before too. My first course was a year ago for five months and I was clear within a month. It was awesome! I remained pretty clear throughout the whole course but got a couple zits here and there until month three. After month three I had absolutely no more break outs. I remained pretty clear until I went off my birth control (which probably kept my sever acne fairly moderate before I went on accutane) because of an insurance change and back to the derm I went.

So I am on day 32 of my course and I am doing fine. I didn't have an "initial" breakout on my first course. I had a couple of cysts pop up in the first month on my first course but they were gone within a week. I had a really severe initial breakout on my second course that had me concerned but it only lasted about ten days. Once the medicine took affect I started to clear. It was a LONG ten days though. Now I only have red marks which are going away fairly quickly. I haven't had a breakout in a week.

It's really a hit or miss with the second course. It could be exactly like your first or completely different. I have the exact same side effects, if anything, they are more tolerable to deal with because I know what being on the drug is like.

Good luck!