Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Once you start using Benzoil Peroxide, can you ever stop? Or will you have to continue using it for years? Is there a point where after you're using the regimen for a while and you're skin clears, you'll be able to quit the BP entirely without getting acne again?

BP permanently damaged my face.

Well I can't say permanent, but it has been at least a year.

I started using some 10% BP cream (For spot treatment, not all over lol)

Well it made my skin quite red and irritated in teh areas I used it (inner cheeks were where I put the most BP, because that's where the acne was the worst)

But it did clear me up, sort of.

Eventually I got on dans regimen, which uses 2.5% BP as a gel, and is much better IMO.

It cleared my extremely well, but my face was always dry and red, and so I had to use tons of moisterizer, which made my skin look super oily, and I was like, fuck this....

So I stopped.

My skin has never recovered, it is still pink all over my cheeks and moreso inner cheeks.

My skin at first did react pretty bad, but I tried many many many MANY different things to treat acne, and a lot of them worked, sort of.

Well now my acne is different than when I was on BP. Before, I had clear normal skin, with like 15 or so zits scattered on my face (but mostly the cheeks and inner cheeks)

But now, my skin seems better from a distance......I don't have big red spots that can be seen from far away, but I have tons of little whiteheads (very stubborn little things that barely form a head and the head can't really be picked/popped) I mean alot. I have counted over 100 "blemishes" and then I stopped counting.

I have a lot of small whiteheads, red marks from these guys seem to last waaay too long, and I have small little non inflamed acne all over too.

It ahs been this way for awhile, and nothing I do makes it better.

I am screwed.

No. You gotta use it for the rest of your life to keep clear. Yeah, even if your are 70 years old+

Unless you find something else that works equally as good or better than yes you must keep using the Benzoyl Peroxide. Sorry bud, the benefits aren't permanent, unless you keep up with it. ;)

Don't worry about what the above replies have said.. They're just mad THEY didn't happen to grow out of acne probably. How old are you?

You will not have to use BP for the rest of your life unless you are extremely unlucky, but you will probably not find someone on this site who is going to back me up on this, because pretty much everyone here are adult sufferes.

Just calm down, and don't worry about the stuff they are saying.

No. You gotta use it for the rest of your life to keep clear. Yeah, even if your are 70 years old+

thats b.s i definelty do not believe this statement

Yeah, whether you do or do not. It doesn't make a difference. It happens and will always happen. ;) I know it's disappointing but it's a fact. There is a person who has a dare, show him a person who cleared his acne using topicals and stopped using them and still stay clear. It was almost 3 years ago and up to this day no one stands up to it.

However, I do not in any manner stop anyone from using topicals. If you are clear by using them then by all means please do so. That's what we all want anyway, right? Good luck!

Let me try and clarify my statement because i'm being viewed as angry and spewing malicious content. ;) Like I stated unless you find something that works equally as good at getting rid of the acne or simply find the root of its cause the method you are using with the BP will wind up staying put until you do. I honestly am not a fan of BP because it dried me out thats why I searched and experimented long and hard to find a replacement. I'm not mad or bitter just to let you know from my previous statement, I'm nearly clear.

If you simply no longer break out *which is extremely rare* or find an effective cleansing method or alternate prescription or OTC medications then of course you can stop.

I use a natural bar to replace benzoyl peroxide that deeps cleans the pores, I used to use proactiv which is hard to just stop using. * it contains BP* Its not a matter of using it forever, its a matter of finding what works for you better or equally and simply using it as a replacement. Also I did not find that it damaged my skin, merely dried it out. Trying experimenting more and learning what your skin type is. ;) If this helps any, moisturizer can be your friend just find a good one for you and salicylic acid I have found to work very well in place of BP at the beginning of my search. It also evened out my skin very nicely! :dance:

I wish you luck!!

BTW I no longer use topicals unless jojoba oil and pure aloe vera has just been considered one recently LOL

Once you start using bp consistently, your skin will never naturally grow out of acne and you will be dependent upon it for the rest of your life. I know this because the only place i used BP is the only place that hasn't grown out of getting acne.

If you're using BP to keep your acne under control (like myself), I think a way to get off of it is eventually wain off of it. This works for tons and tons of things; you slowly use less and less until it gets to a point where your body is tricked into thinking its there but it isn't. That's what I'm hopefully going to do when I eventually get 100% clear from the regimen..its right around the corner! :)

cant deny with monkee. anything thats chemical is.. bad lol.

im currently on week 2 on the regimen and my skin's looking clear. well, i had mild acne, just a few spots here n there and i dont intend to use BP for long.

im using the BP only once a day at night. i intend to go for 3 months in this manner and then slowly reduce the BP dosage to once every 2 days, then 3 and 4 and so on. definitely no way everyday for the rest of my life though.

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

yeah, heres a good article about what I'm talking about. So you don't think I'm just making it up. haha

theres also information about it on the FDA's website.

...theres also information about it on the FDA's website.

Please provide a link to the information on the FDA's website. I can't seem to find it.

Oh no, I hope even if BP is declared illegal in the future, this site will remain intact. >_<

Benzoyl Peroxide can significantly damage the skin, it shouldn't be used for long periods of time. The FDA has recently changed the classification of BP to "safety unknown" which is the worst classification possible basically. BP is also becoming illegal to use in a lot of countries due to recent tests showing its nasty long term side effects. There are plenty of natural products out there that treat acne. Plus, your skin grows and changes along with your body, usually you'll phase out acne after awhile.

Yes, the FDA has classifed it as "safety unknown", however, only due to a study that showed it caused the possibility of tumor growth on rats. It did not however, claim this to be the case on human skin. As a matter of fact, the FDA said there is no proof light from the Sun will cause the BP to create tumors or act as a pathway to this possibility, there is no research to show or prove this. So they classified as "safety unknown" until more research proves otherwise. On top of this, the FDA makes BP manufacturers place on their labels something that tells people who use BP to use sunscreen lotion to prevent harmful UV rays from damaging your skin. You should always use sunscreen anyway when you're exposed to too much sunlight..the Sun is the biggest cause for skin cancers.

The study with the rats did not prove the notion that BP would cause tumors when exposed to sunlight, it had to do with another reaction only prone to rats, not human skin.

Benzoyl Peroxide can significantly damage the skin, it shouldn't be used for long periods of time. The FDA has recently changed the classification of BP to "safety unknown" which is the worst classification possible basically. BP is also becoming illegal to use in a lot of countries due to recent tests showing its nasty long term side effects. There are plenty of natural products out there that treat acne. Plus, your skin grows and changes along with your body, usually you'll phase out acne after awhile.

Yes, the FDA has classifed it as "safety unknown", however, only due to a study that showed it caused the possibility of tumor growth on rats. It did not however, claim this to be the case on human skin. As a matter of fact, the FDA said there is no proof light from the Sun will cause the BP to create tumors or act as a pathway to this possibility, there is no research to show or prove this. So they classified as "safety unknown" until more research proves otherwise. On top of this, the FDA makes BP manufacturers place on their labels something that tells people who use BP to use sunscreen lotion to prevent harmful UV rays from damaging your skin. You should always use sunscreen anyway when you're exposed to too much sunlight..the Sun is the biggest cause for skin cancers.

The study with the rats did not prove the notion that BP would cause tumors when exposed to sunlight, it had to do with another reaction only prone to rats, not human skin.

Rats and mice that were bred to be genetically predisposed to getting tumors, even.

Rats and mice that were bred to be genetically predisposed to getting tumors, even.

Exactly, so anything that claims BP is harmful or is prone to causing cancer growth is completely ridiculous until there are several medical studies and statements by dermatologists stating otherwise.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that supports claims that you'll become dependent on BP once you start using it. This is the worst site to go to trying to find people who've use topicals in the past and been able to stop and stay clear. Most people here are constantly trying to find ways or currently have ways in which to keep their acne at bay. If you're destined to grow out of acne, using topical treatments isn't going to alter that. If anything, you'll just have suffered the side effects (most likely short term) of whatever topical you were using.

But then again, I could be wrong... :doh:

Dang, after reading the replies I'm really worried. I've been using BP for 2 months now, I think I'm going to stop using it. I may start again later but I'm really worried and don't want to mess up my skin.

Once you start using Benzoil Peroxide, can you ever stop? Or will you have to continue using it for years? Is there a point where after you're using the regimen for a while and you're skin clears, you'll be able to quit the BP entirely without getting acne again?

no you do not need to keep using BP. first you slowly and gradually decrease the amount you are using while using a suitable cleanser such as Spectro. Using this cleanser will help repair your skins natural protective barrier against infection. Also moisturize. Keep decreasing the BP you use until it is very little. Doing this will rebuild your skin's independence on BP.

do this until your skin seems really healthy. and then continue on for atleast a month after......while using minimum BP. After this month, as a test, try not using a moisturizer for 2 days. If your skin still seems healthy and not dry.....stop using the BP but continue with the Spectro cleanser and moisturizer for about 2 weeks. If you want to change cleanser after this, go ahead.

This process will slowly make your skin less dependent on BP, as well as build up its own natural protective barrier against bacteria. See this page for really good information on your skin and how to care for it (it will help you understand my approach stated above). See the right panel on the page for all the links.....read them all. this is the page (sorry...i had to remove the link....just read the forum rules)

Dang, after reading the replies I'm really worried. I've been using BP for 2 months now, I think I'm going to stop using it. I may start again later but I'm really worried and don't want to mess up my skin.

Hehe, you're sounding just like I've been lately. I was never really worried about BP until I came to this site and saw what some people were saying, followed by researching BP. I began the Acne.org Regimen in October of last year. Had great success the following two months, but began worrying just like you about the long term condition of my skin with continued BP use. So this entire year I've been trying to stop BP use entirely. I've use it maybe 10-15 times this year. It's been a roller coaster ride. Some good days, some bad. Despite my first post in this thread, I do worry about BP these days. I used to have mild bacne and never ever treated it...just used a regular cleansing bar. Now I pretty much have a clear back, yet my face still has acne. Could it be a result of constant acne treatments? Who knows... :think:

I have been using BP for the past three years now, and I have had no ill-side effects.

Granted, I started using BP in earnest when I went on Pro-Activ in 2006 when beginning my sophomore year of college. I found this site, and started using Dan's regimen in October of 2008. Now, in the spring of 2009, as I am graduating, I find Benzoyl Peroxide, and Dan's regimen to be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I have had no side-effects at all. My skin is not allergic to BP, and I use moisturizer to get rid of any flakey or dry-skin that comes after putitng the BP on. Obviously, if you don't use a moisturizer after placing the BP on your face...it will get dry.

You should also use a SUNSCREEN. Without using a sunscreen lotion, your skin will be open to attack from the devastating rays of the SUN. The Sun is the most pervasive instrument in the outbreak of skin cancer. BP may make your skin more susceptible to skin damage, as may any topical acne treatment, therefore you must protect your skin by using the proper sunscreen lotion.

BP is truly a great tool to use against the spread of acne. It pretty much destorys it...and works wonders. It is unfortunate that the European Union has banned the use of this excellent product...based on hardly any scientific studies at all. The United States and the FDA continue to allow its existence and use in this country. Dermatoligists continue to prescribe its use....and it is the most prevalent form of acne fighting material within this country today, and will remain so.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ILL-SIDE EFFECTS REPORTED BY THE FDA OR DEMRATOLGISTS TODAY IN AMERICA AGAINST THE CONSTANT USE OF THIS PRODUCT, UNLESS YOUR SKIN IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO BP.

AS SUCH, IT IS CAUTIONED TO USE SUNSCREEN TO PREVENT THE HARMFUL RAYS OF THE SUN FROM PENETRATING AND CAUSING SKIN PROBLEMS.

Other than that...I have been using this product (BP) for three years now. I am 25 years old, and I still get carded when I buy an alcholic drink...it hasn't messed up my skin, or made me look older. In fact, BP has smoothed my skin out, and made me look younger.

Bacteria does not become resistant to BP; BP is not an antibiotic.

Actually, newer research suggests that people on topical OR internal antibiotics for acne SHOULD use BP to help prevent the bacteria from becoming resistant to the topical or internal antibiotic.

Q: Does benzoyl peroxide cause wrinkles?

A: No, it does not cause wrinkles; however, some people experience wrinkling around the eyes due to applying benzoyl peroxide too closely to that area. This wrinkling is due to dryness and is not permanent. Avoid the eye area with benzoyl peroxide. It is also important to avoid the eye area with moisturizer that is applied over the benzoyl peroxide. This is because the moisturizer can mix with the benzoyl peroxide and bring the benzoyl peroxide with it. On a personal note, the lower half of my face, which is where I've been using benzoyl peroxide for 20 years, looks better than where I haven't. See this link for a pic of my skin after 20 years of benzoyl peroxide.

I agree with the person who said their skin is still breaking out only where they apply BP.

I have clear areas on my skin around my temples, because my temples didn't have as much and I applied significantly less BP to those areas. Now they have completely cleared and are the only area of my face that looks smooth and evenly toned.

My skin has never, ever recovered. I just hope eventually it will.

Oh man, it's so sad to see people claiming the sun to be so bad. Without it our species wouldn't survive, no, many living thing wouldn't survive. Sad, so sad.