Notifications
Clear all

retin-a with benzoyl peroxide

MemberMember
(@nowonder)

Posted : 04/09/2009 5:57 pm

I started using retin-a again and I think it's great. I read somewhere that I shouldn't use benzoyl peroxide when I am using retin-a. I don't quite understand what they mean by this, do they mean that when I have retin-a on my face I shouldn't use benzoyl peroxide? Or, does it mean that even if I don't have retin-a on my face currently, but had used it the night or day before that I shouldn't use benzoyl peroxide? What will using the two together actually do?

MemberMember
(@david1919)

Posted : 04/09/2009 9:00 pm

Im as confused as you are. I have very mild acne and i use Retin-A and Clinoxyl gel, which has Benzoyl Peroxide in it. I put the gel on in the morning, and the Retin-A on at the night, and i was told specifically to do this- however im wondering if im not getting the best results i could be by combining the two. If i stop using the Retin-A and only use the clinoxyl gel i wonder if ill get better results, or vice versa.

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 04/11/2009 4:37 pm

When you combine the two they cancel each other out. If you're applying one in the AM and then one in the PM you'll achieve maximum benefits, but it'll take awhile to see the results. Unfortunately, retinoids are slow, but worth the patience if it agrees with your skin (I say that because some people's skin is too sensitive for it).

"Tretinoin and benzoyl peroxide neutralize each other when applied at the same time."

https://www.retinamicro.com/faq.asp

MemberMember
(@leg)

Posted : 09/06/2009 6:50 pm

Benzoyl peroxide and Retin-a do not cancel each other out! Ignore your doctor!

A few years ago, when benzoyl peroxide had stopped working for me, I consulted my doctor. He gave me a prescription for Retin-A. I used it for 2 months and nothing happened. My skin got worse. I went back and he gave me a stronger version of Retin-A. Once again, I put it on faithfully every day... and nothing. Then, out of desperation, I started to combine the two. Every night, I put on a Persa Gel (a 10% BP solution) and Retin-A. I put on one, then the other. Miracle of miracles, my skin cleared up. It got slightly agitated, but nothing that bad.

I told my doctor and he practically laughed me out of the office. The jerk told me it was just the BP working. Well, when I ran out of Retin-A, sure enough, my acne came back. And once again, NOTHING got rid of it until I went back to combining BP and Retin-A.

I've been using this system now for FIVE years. Still clear. And I can even cut out the Retin-A for days at a time, which means that most days, my skin looks clear and normal. Not too smooth, as some people's skin gets when they use retin-a. Healthy. Normal. It's marvelous.

I'd love to see other people try this and post their results. For me, it was the answer.

MemberMember
(@bunchesofsunflowers)

Posted : 09/06/2009 7:17 pm

When you combine the two they cancel each other out. If you're applying one in the AM and then one in the PM you'll achieve maximum benefits, but it'll take awhile to see the results. Unfortunately, retinoids are slow, but worth the patience if it agrees with your skin (I say that because some people's skin is too sensitive for it).

"Tretinoin and benzoyl peroxide neutralize each other when applied at the same time."

https://www.retinamicro.com/faq.asp

Siava's right. You can't apply them on top of each other, but if you use BP in the morning and tretinoin at night you should get good results.

MemberMember
(@butters143)

Posted : 09/06/2009 8:11 pm

is using just the regular bottle of peroxide okay with retina? i've been putting just regular peroxide out of the bottle on my face then using retin-a at night while i sleep. so far i think it's gotten worst but idk :(

MemberMember
(@gq101)

Posted : 02/12/2013 12:12 am

Benzoyl peroxide and Retin-a do not cancel each other out! Ignore your doctor!

A few years ago, when benzoyl peroxide had stopped working for me, I consulted my doctor. He gave me a prescription for Retin-A. I used it for 2 months and nothing happened. My skin got worse. I went back and he gave me a stronger version of Retin-A. Once again, I put it on faithfully every day... and nothing. Then, out of desperation, I started to combine the two. Every night, I put on a Persa Gel (a 10% BP solution) and Retin-A. I put on one, then the other. Miracle of miracles, my skin cleared up. It got slightly agitated, but nothing that bad.

I told my doctor and he practically laughed me out of the office. The jerk told me it was just the BP working. Well, when I ran out of Retin-A, sure enough, my acne came back. And once again, NOTHING got rid of it until I went back to combining BP and Retin-A.

I've been using this system now for FIVE years. Still clear. And I can even cut out the Retin-A for days at a time, which means that most days, my skin looks clear and normal. Not too smooth, as some people's skin gets when they use retin-a. Healthy. Normal. It's marvelous.

I'd love to see other people try this and post their results. For me, it was the answer.

that makes sense. I was also looking up studies on the BP + trretinoin combo, and studies show that the tretinoin molecules stayed intact for a good 7 hours. meaning, the BP did not degrade/negate it as common belief would suggest. Can you share the ratio of BP to tretinoin that you use? and what % strength of each? thanks! :)

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 03/02/2013 8:07 am

I just use the BPO in the morning and the retinoid at night. It works fine and minimizes the irritation.