Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Something smells fishy here...

Or...eggy?

Kay, so here's the deal. As I have been conducting "research" in this forum, for my own health, I have noticed something odd and contradictory.

-Taurine is said to be a good nutrient for acne

-Sulfur amino acids are said to be beneficial as well

-Eggs are (generally speaking) a no-no

Eggs=A good source of taurine, and sulfur amino acids

:confused:

So I would actually suggest eating eggs, as long as they are free range and hormone-free.

Agree?

Disagree?

And please explain :)

♥,

Cello

[p.s. Please ignore my terrible sense of humor and bad puns. Thank-you]

Yeah, eggs are great. 'Specially the yolks. I'll never understand why some people throw them away.

Of course. The only reason not to eat eggs is if you have an intolerance for them. Egg whites are a common allergen.

Eggs also have considerable amounts of iodine, which some people try and stay away from.

I recent research showed that up to 5 whole eggs a day doesn't negatively affect the cholesterol levels of those suffering with cholesterol problems. More might be an hazard.

I eat around 4 whole eggs a day without a problem.

Some say the iodine, cholesterol, and hormones in them may make skin worse... You can also just stick with egg whites but I dont see the point

Some say the iodine, cholesterol, and hormones in them may make skin worse... You can also just stick with egg whites but I dont see the point

I eat 4 Organic brown eggs (cage free ) a day.

The egg whites are the part that's allergenic.

Cholesterol may make some people's skin worse. There have been a few threads on that with plausible research supporting it and people claiming results, from what I recall. Hormones are made from cholesterol after all. I didn't pay much attention since it didn't seem to be my problem. And it doesn't seem to be most people's problem considering all the people posting here and all the Atkins dieters claiming it cleared their skin, which is what made me change my diet.

And you need iodine. If you aren't eating a lot of commercially prepared foods with their ridiculous amounts of salt, and I hope you aren't, and you don't add a lot of salt to your food, then you probably need sources like this. I believe any studies on the iodine acne connection involve very excessive amounts of iodine. Again, I've never paid very much attention as it isn't my problem either.

And I just looked up eggs on nutritiondata.com and it doesn't show that eggs contain iodine. It should be listed with the minerals, right?

And hormones in eggs? I don't think I've seen that come up before. They don't give hormones to chickens if that's what you are thinking. Chickens grow fast enough that it's not cost effective. So it would only be the chicken hormones. Hmm. Turns out they have thyroid hormone which could be a good thing. And some testosterone or precursors.

Love egss...eat 3 every just about every morning (1 yolk, 2 egg whites- to keep down my fat intake). Also eat egg white omelets with avocado/tomato/spinach sometimes too. YUM!

All I have to say is go on low dose of accutane if u cant enjoy simple foods in life. Sometimes people may just breakout and blame it on a food they thought made it happen

All I have to say is go on low dose of accutane if u cant enjoy simple foods in life. Sometimes people may just breakout and blame it on a food they thought made it happen

Well, all I have to say is I took accutane twice and it didn't help at all. While my diet, which benefits my whole body and life, is easy and cleared me within 2 months. Also, I enjoy my food.

I'm sorry, but I must say I vehemently disagree.

Being holistically healthy means creating a healthy environment within your whole body for all health issues. One of those happens to be acne. Unhealthy foods are not actually that appealing to be anymore (sodas, processed foods, etc). Of course, I have cravings, but I'm much happier having clearing skin and feeling healthier, happier, and more energetic by eating this way. I don't starve myself. I eat delicious, healthy food. The lifestyle of "grab and go" food does not appeal to me.

As another part, accutane is extremely damaging to your skin and your entire body. I'd rather not take years off my life for the possibility of clear skin. I'd rather change my lifestyle and live longer and happier, and have clear skin that way.

I don't believe that one specific food or thing causes acne. I think it's a lot of things combined. I'm not an obsessive dieter. There is a way to be healthy without obsessing, and maybe you'll find it someday as well.

:)

Im glad you feel you can have good skin without being obsessive about what you eat... try telling that to other people in this section who cant go out and eat or break away for more than a few days without having a bad breakout. Some people breakout A LOT from certain foods and may never be able to change that without a more extreme treatment. After dealing with this for 5 years myself, I decided enough was enough.. Narrowing down what I ate came down to practically nothing with all sorts of failed supplements.

Its great if you find a diet that works for you, but my argument was towards the people that have bad breakouts, not a few spots. A few spots can be dealt with, as a lot can be not only embarrasing but can also scar. Eventually, some will realize that no matter what they do, they may not be able to eat foods just because of the reaction it has with their skin and if they can live with that.. thats great.

Just my 2 pennies on that situation

Eggs are good for you; I eat tons of them.

Fat is NOT bad for you, and neither is cholesterol for that matter (google "cholesterol myth").

Egg yolks are the most nutritious part of the egg. As alternativista said, the only reason to avoid eggs is if YOU specifically have an allergy or intolerance.

I eat a high calorie, high protein, high fat diet, and I avoid starches and sugar like the plague. I also make sure to eat lots of fresh leafy greens and other vegetables and fruits. I'm slim, my skin is clear, and my blood values are perfect -- it works for me!

I probably should have saved myself the time and not have posted in the topic but I just had to see what things were being discussed about eggs and how they do "horrible" things. To those who breakout from eggs, dont eat them its that simple. It is a simple fact they are good for you...

Sorry to all I must of offended with my other posts, please disregard..

And you need iodine. If you aren't eating a lot of commercially prepared foods with their ridiculous amounts of salt, and I hope you aren't, and you don't add a lot of salt to your food, then you probably need sources like this. I believe any studies on the iodine acne connection involve very excessive amounts of iodine. Again, I've never paid very much attention as it isn't my problem either.

And I just looked up eggs on nutritiondata.com and it doesn't show that eggs contain iodine. It should be listed with the minerals, right?

It seems pretty unlikely that a grown person in the U.S. who is not a vegetarian is going to get iodine deficiency. U.S. livestock is fed feed supplemented with iodine. So if you're eating turkey, beef, chicken, etc. you're already eating a good amount of iodine. And of course there is already a lot of iodine in seafood and dairy.

And hormones in eggs? I don't think I've seen that come up before. They don't give hormones to chickens if that's what you are thinking. Chickens grow fast enough that it's not cost effective. So it would only be the chicken hormones. Hmm. Turns out they have thyroid hormone which could be a good thing. And some testosterone or precursors.

Although U.S. poultry is not allowed to be fed hormones because of government regulations, they are fed antibiotics. Something that should also be considered.

Although U.S. poultry is not allowed to be fed hormones because of government regulations, they are fed antibiotics. Something that should also be considered.

What's the risk for humans by using antibiotics in poultry?

What's the risk for humans by using antibiotics in poultry?

Antibiotic resistance may be transmitted down family lines — at least in chickens, researchers at the University of Georgia have found.

And that could mean that one solution to the growing problem of drug-resistant antibiotics — banning their use on the farm — may not strike at the heart of the problem.

"We had assumed that reducing usage would reduce resistance, but that doesn't seem to be the case," says Margie Lee of Georgia's College of Veterinary Medicine, the lead researcher for a new study.

Because bacteria swap genes so easily, drug-resistant strains that develop in farm animals can later translate into drug-resistant strains of bacteria in humans.

That's an increasing problem as older antibiotics cease being effective against sometimes-deadly bacteria

-Georgia's Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center

Plus it's just a f'd up thing to do to an animal.

I eat three to four organic eggs a day without adverse effects.

Unless you're allergic to them eggs are great, they supply all essential amino acids and are a good source of vitamins and minerals too.