Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew

Grading acne???

How do you go about deciding what type fo acne you have (moderate, mild, etc.) My face actually feels quite smooth except for pimples here and there, but the marks from acne remain forever. They are not scars just the red marks. Please let me know.

well the only way to find out really is to go into a very well lit room(naturally lit of course) and look in a mirror, if its occupying a large amount of your face or if its very bad in one area, thats moderate, mild acne is literally two or three small spots at any one time. Remember acne is the medical term to describe spots, doctors refer to two spots as acne and if ur face is plastered with it then its severe. it basically depends on how it affects you as a person, if u feel it detracts from your looks or appearance, then its a problem, if not then your ok. but having said all that, go to http://www.google.com and type in mild acne pictures to give yourself a better idea. this may help!

There is no accepted way even for doctors or researchers to judge acne severity. This is something that is a major hindrance in communication regarding acne and the production of accurate results in acne studies, the results of which are at the discretion of the researcher instead of any accepted standard.

So, how severe is your acne? We pretty much have to use common sense and our own judgement. If you get a zit here and there it is mild. If you are always broken out with at least several lesions, but not with cystic acne, it is probably moderate. If you get cystic lesions (5mm or more across) on a regular basis this is most likely severe.

-Dan

...But I have a question about acne grading, too. Whenever I go to a dermatologist (I'm female and wear make-up), I'm basically told to relax b/c my acne "isn't that bad." So far the regimen has really helped clear me up and my face is quite smooth...EXCEPT for having between 2-3 cysts at any one give time. Does this qualify as severe? The cysts are large (4-7mm) and take a couple of weeks to disappear (especially if I mess with them :) ). Except for the cysts, the rest of my face looks good.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

I think all of you guys need to stop worrying about which acne category you fit into. Knowing what type you have probably isnt going to help you get rid of it and its nothing worth worrying about. Now get off the computer and get yourself on the regimen because it works!

Thanks...that response really helped me :) . Sort of like my derm telling me "Relax...your acne is not that bad..."

Any other useful answers out there :?:

All I was saying is that there is no use sitting there trying to figure out where you "fit" as far as your acne. Instead focus on treating it. If you arent on the regimen then try it out. It seems to be working pretty well for me so far.

hey bagap, I think im in exactly the same boat as you :) I get told that all the time, and sure, my skin is clear a lot of the time, but when I do get pimples, they are really painful and I wont even leave the house. I suggest you see another dermatologist, go without makeup (i know, its a horrible thought!) and dont settle for that same old line 'its not that bad' There is a lot of treatment out there and its not fair of the dermatologist to shrug it off. I had a really awful one who basically said i was just another vain teenager, and when I started to cry he then said it was 'alarming' and i obviously wasnt stable enough to go on roaccutane. I have since found another doc, and he understood how much it was affecting me, physically and emotionally, and now I am about to start on roaccutane. :) Its going to be nice not to wake up and wonder if i can leave the house today..