Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

lets talk about products for our nails

You could try Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme. I use it all the time and it helps my nails a lot.

Wow, that is the fastest reply Ive ever gotten on a thread. Thank you bunches :)

healthy cuticles are essential to healthy nails, so make sure u keep them moisturized...cuticle oil, cuticle creams, or something like that is great.. a really great product for your nails themselves are sally hansen's hard as nails or triple strong. i swear by both. also, u might want to consider getting into the routine of getting manicures once a month. i had the same problem when i stopped wearing acrylics and between the monthly manicures and sally hansen, my nails recovered and are now the envy of my girls who wear acrylics just to get theirs to look like mine do naturally...

Jai, sounds like your nails are like mine. People constantly ask where I get mine done. "I grow them myself" is my reply. :D

I can wash dishes, scrub, do carpentry work and sewing and my nails don't break. I let them grow really long and sometimes they break on their own (usually from a really hard whack to the hand). If one breaks, they all get cut. Then they grow back out again. I don't do anything special to my nails at all. My diet's good though. Mine grow thick and strong. Thank goodness.

Jai, sounds like your nails are like mine. People constantly ask where I get mine done. "I grow them myself" is my reply. :D

I can wash dishes, scrub, do carpentry work and sewing and my nails don't break. I let them grow really long and sometimes they break on their own (usually from a really hard whack to the hand). If one breaks, they all get cut. Then they grow back out again. I don't do anything special to my nails at all. My diet's good though. Mine grow thick and strong. Thank goodness.

That sounds like my Mom's nails. Her nails have always been rock hard!

i say the same thing :D and people go, really? they're so pretty! i always get compliments when i go for my manucures.

yep me too...one breaks, they all get cut and we start over....i find as long as i keep them polished, they grow and stay strong...

Is it true, cuticles should never be cut or is that an old wives tale?

its a common saying, but honestly, it won't hurt. the notion is that if you cut your cuticles then that could lead to hangnails, etc. and also, they grow back thicker, and blah blah blah. i get mine cut every time i go for a manicure and when i do my own manicures, i cut them myself - all with no problems...i do suggest that u get yourself an orangewood stick or some kind of cuticle pusher and push your cuticles back on a regular basis. i do it daily after i get out of the shower because they're softened. makes a huge difference....

I love OPI Nail Envy, but you may want to listen to these other girls who keep their nails long. I keep mine short.

I love OPI Nail Envy, but you may want to listen to these other girls who keep their nails long. I keep mine short.

lol Im actually wearing that right now with a bottom coat and a top coat both by Seche Base. I havent decided if I like it yet or not. My nails are short too, almost nonexistant. My hands are small too.

lol Im actually wearing that right now with a bottom coat and a top coat both by Seche Base. I havent decided if I like it yet or not. My nails are short too, almost nonexistant. My hands are small too.

my hands are super small, too. long nails just look really bad for some reason.

I'm telling y'all, Bio Oil. Stuff is the bomb for any kind of mark or dry patch anywhere on your body. though not an active zit :( Works wonders for nails.

I'm telling y'all, Bio Oil. Stuff is the bomb for any kind of mark or dry patch anywhere on your body. though not an active zit :( Works wonders for nails.

Hi Ben! Long time no chat

I'm picturing little acrylic nail trees. :) Like bonsais.

I'm picturing little acrylic nail trees. :) Like bonsais.

:lol: Now that would be a sight.

I used to have a big problem with them chipping, only because I used all of my nervous energy on picking underneath them. I still do it--old habits die hard, after all--but to keep them strong I take skin/hair/nail vitamins (aids in growth and strength), keep the nails trimmed and shaped (including the cuticles, which is accompanied by Burt's Bees Cuticle Creme~ <3), and keep a thin layer of clear nail polish over them. Oh, and don't let them grow too long, of course. :)

I don't really do anything to my nails beside use a metal nail file. I think my nails are naturally hard. They rarely break, even through doing house work, moving things, and working on computers.

I do have one problem, though... Any undernourishment I experience can be seen in my nails. I'll get the lines and waves very visibly anytime I'm sick for an extended period of time. I have noticed a few things have helped this. Maybe it could help brittle nails, too. Here they are:

*Cholesterol treatment for hair- The stuff tangled my hair like all hell, but my nails looked and felt better afterwards. I used to let it sit on my nails for a while.

*Conditioner- I noticed the same thing in passing while using it in my hair, especially with olive oil conditioner. Olive oil would probably work well, too.

*Vitamin E Oil- Anytime I have to use this stuff on my skin, my nails looks amazing. The cuticle area looks great, too. I tend to have skin peel there and get holes in my skin around there. (skin allergies) This helps heal and prevent that.

*Soy milk- I find any time that I get a regular amount of soy milk in my other wise low protein diet, (Yay, restrictions!) my nails start getting even stronger and look better. I don't expect you to drink soy milk but some extra, healthy source of protein in your diet could help.

These are all relatively cheap, multi-purpose items, too. That's my favorite kinda thing.

I hope you find something to help!

I don't really do anything to my nails beside use a metal nail file. I think my nails are naturally hard. They rarely break, even through doing house work, moving things, and working on computers.

I do have one problem, though... Any undernourishment I experience can be seen in my nails. I'll get the lines and waves very visibly anytime I'm sick for an extended period of time. I have noticed a few things have helped this. Maybe it could help brittle nails, too. Here they are:

*Cholesterol treatment for hair- The stuff tangled my hair like all hell, but my nails looked and felt better afterwards. I used to let it sit on my nails for a while.

*Conditioner- I noticed the same thing in passing while using it in my hair, especially with olive oil conditioner. Olive oil would probably work well, too.

*Vitamin E Oil- Anytime I have to use this stuff on my skin, my nails looks amazing. The cuticle area looks great, too. I tend to have skin peel there and get holes in my skin around there. (skin allergies) This helps heal and prevent that.

*Soy milk- I find any time that I get a regular amount of soy milk in my other wise low protein diet, (Yay, restrictions!) my nails start getting even stronger and look better. I don't expect you to drink soy milk but some extra, healthy source of protein in your diet could help.

These are all relatively cheap, multi-purpose items, too. That's my favorite kinda thing.

I hope you find something to help!

That is all fantastic advice! I will try the olive oil since thats what I have at home now :)

I have incredibly brittle nails. Does anyone have any recommendations of a product that works fast in hardening nails?

I would love to know this as well. Everything I have tried OCT is NO GOOD.

I can’t wear my natural nails without acrylic on them and the nailery is expensive as heck now-a-days.