Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obria

Upset stomach from Fish Oil

I've recently started taking Fish Oil Supplements (Omega-3's) and have noticed that I have had diarrhea, and stomach cramps since I started taking them. I have a very sensitive stomach, so I've only been taking 1 capsule a day, with food, instead of the recommended two. I am taking the brand Nordic Naturals which I've heard is one of the best on the market. I don't want to stop taking them, but I can't handle the stomach upset. Is anyone else having this problem? Any advice?

Thanks!

Please check the expiry date on your fish oil. If it has expired, the fish oil will have turned rancid and could have upset your stomach. It happened to me once, but it might not be in your case since you just bought it from the shop.

Ditto that. Nordic Naturals is a great brand, but my first instinct is that they might be rancid.

Ditto that. Nordic Naturals is a great brand, but my first instinct is that they might be rancid.

I don't know if it could be rancid... I just bought it from Whole Foods. Just wondering if I can try something else to take along with it to counter balance the stomach upset. I tried an herbal liver cleanse (Complete Liver Cleanse), and on day 5 I ended up in the ER with extreme nausea, and stomach cramps. Maybe my stomach is just too sensitive for supplements?

Try lowering your dose and make sure you take the fish oil with a good source of fat.

Try lowering your dose and make sure you take the fish oil with a good source of fat.

I agree with the fat, somthing like butter, maybe cheese or coconut oil if you could.

I've recently started taking Fish Oil Supplements (Omega-3's) and have noticed that I have had diarrhea, and stomach cramps since I started taking them. I have a very sensitive stomach, so I've only been taking 1 capsule a day, with food, instead of the recommended two. I am taking the brand Nordic Naturals which I've heard is one of the best on the market. I don't want to stop taking them, but I can't handle the stomach upset. Is anyone else having this problem? Any advice?

Thanks!

Do you have trouble digesting other fats as well?

Open up one of the capsules. If it smells really fishy (as in fish, not just strange :) ), take it back. Definitely take with food and plenty of liquid (water's great).