Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WalkTheWire

The Official Haircare & Styling Thread

I've made a hobby out of donating my hair to Lock's of Love - I'm very fortunate to be blessed with fast growing hair so why not give to a good cause right?

Anyways, I always try to keep my hair in tip-top shape for this. My tips are, which may not work for some, but the key is less is more: don't dye hair, very minimal use of products, decreased heat - if you blow dry your hair then don't straightened it to, or vice versa, and limit your heat usage to as much as you can -air drying is always best.

Product wise: Biolage > if you are willing to pay the money & a great cheap deep conditioner is Garnier Fructis Fortifying Deep Conditioner > I have tried so many other conditioners and this one is truly amazing for the price! Deep condition at least once a week, possibly two. And don't wash your hair everyday, I do every other day and if you can sometimes go more than do that.

A new fave shampoo & conditioner is John Frieda Root Awakening = so soft :wub:

I think that is so admirable! You provided some great tips as well! Keep 'em comin'!

I though I'd ask a question about pomade, since this is the official hair-care and styling thread

What is a good pomade to use? I use Crew pomade at the moment and my only concern is that it doesn't come off at night. Sometimes I remember to was off my hair at night and sometimes I don't. I just rinse my hair with water at night to remove the Crew. Is that alright? If not, should I be using a water-based pomade/wax? Recommendations and answers please. Thanks!

It's a waxy substance that is in styling waxes. It can build up in your hair, which is why rinsing is not a bad idea. But in order to really remove it, you'll need to shampoo. I'd recommend using ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) once per week to remove build up. I do this and it's a miracle (Thanks to Jai and other members for mentioning it).

The wax product will latch on to your hair. It's not like hair spray or gel.

For colored hair: Use shampoo's and conditioners that are SULFATE FREE- sulfates dull and fade color, and are generally undesirable for anyone. There are a few drugstore brands that have sulfate free lines (Abba is one)

For scalp/hairline blemishes: I've found using Selsun Blue Naturals (3% Sal Acid) just around my hair line and bangs has helped loads (I dye my hair so I don't use it all over every day)

The NUMBER ONE thing for healthy looking hair is frequent trims. Do it.

Sources:

Study Cosmetology & Personal experience

Sources:

I agree. I am way over due for a trim. I can't get one for the next three weeks because I need to get enough money (I am completely 100% broke right now) but I hate having split ends. They are my hair pet peeve. I can deal with really bad roots better than splits.

Sources:

I agree. I am way over due for a trim. I can't get one for the next three weeks because I need to get enough money (I am completely 100% broke right now) but I hate having split ends. They are my hair pet peeve. I can deal with really bad roots better than splits.

But I want to grow my hair.

Sources:

But I want to grow my hair.

think of your hair strand like a stick. split the end of the stick, you can just keep on tearing it and spliting it all the way to the top. this is what happens with split ends if they are not trimmed. they will slowly keep on splitting up the hair strand higher and higher. they also act like velcro and tangle and snag the healthy hairs around them, which is why hair with terrible split ends often has no bounce and tangles easily, the hairs are simply caught together. Getting small amounts trimmed every 2-3 months will, yes, slow down hair growth slightly, but it will also make your hair healthier and grow more smoothly and more healthfully. I am growing my hair out too, and it also has some moderate damage in it, mostly the ends. My hair grows about half an inch a month and I get a 1/2 inch trim every three months. Which means by the end of a year I will have 4 inches of healthier grow, verses 6 inches of damaged, frizzy split growth. Make sense?

Sephora, I get what you're saying, but they always take off like three inches of my hair! No matter what I tell them, I loose more length than I'd like to, so I've come to abandon hair cuts. but thanks for explaining it to me :D

OMG, my devacurl products came (all the way from america!) I LOVE THEM!! I Love my curly hair, I can't believe I've been fighting it for so long with the cursed hair dryers and straighteners. This is society's fault! But whatever, devacurl is so exactly what I've been looking for! Hooray!! My hair looks shinier already! Wey ayeeee

Sephora, I get what you're saying, but they always take off like three inches of my hair! No matter what I tell them, I loose more length than I'd like to, so I've come to abandon hair cuts. but thanks for explaining it to me :D

I am always very specific when I go in for trims. I say, cut it dry because I like my hair cut straighened, not when it is wet and curly, cut off half an inch, no more because I am growing it out, and please make it a thorough trim even though it is only half an inch and cut every hair on my head. I think I scared the girl last time because she barely dusted my ends I left with just as many splits as I came in with, lol. I think I need to stress the part next time that I am PAYING for a trim and want to LOOK like I got one.

^Have them show you the length they are going to snip. My conversatin usually go like this.

Stylist: 'how much do you want taken off?'

me: 'oh, about a half inch'

stylist: 'ok'

me: 'show me your version of half an inch'

stylist shows me 4 inches

I show her a millimeter

we meet in the middle

:D

^that is why I also always take their comb and show them myself with my hair what I mean by half an inch. But like I said, last time I think I sacred the girl and she didn't take off nearly enough. I may even wait a few more weeks and have them take off a whole inch just to get rid of the splits completely. I know I will always have some split ends; I dye my hair and flat iron it, but I am obsessive about keeping them to a minimum, lol.

So...my blow-dryer finally gave out. :rolleyes: lol For the past few days, I've been mostly air-drying...but because my hair is so thick, even when it is really hot and humid, I need to blow-dry. I do it on low/cool setting, then increase for a min or so on medium; then I air-dry when I'm at 70% or so. Also, my hair is wavy and curly in some parts, so in order for it to look decent, I have to blow-dry with a round brush or paddle brush.

Anyway, I bought a new one. It's the Conair Ceramic Tourmaline Styling System. It cost me about $23 at Wal-Mart. It's really nice. It has three really cool attachments. I like to dry smooth/straight/wavy and wavy/curly styles. So, I'm going to use it tomorrow and see how it goes. Then, reply with my review.

How does the +Quote button work?

---About hairstylists- I'm quite picky and precise about mine too, but you gotta be! Especially when I had my hair short/pixie- if they don't do it how you like it- there isn't much [literal] room to fix it.

I've found after spending anywhere from $12 to $300 for a cut, the best thing you can do is find someone who isn't righteous about cutting and you aren't afraid to criticize and nit pick.

Also, when I see dead ends I WANT to cut off 4 inches, cause you knoooow it's going to look so much more healthy, def just got to be really clear about their and your version of an inch!

:D

@Anteriffic - I have the slightly older version of that hair dryer and I've loved it- bummer is the edge parts (where is says conair ion shine) go all the way to the end and therefore I can't find a diffuser that will fit! (it didn't come with one)

@ataraxiaeleven: The nice thing about this one is, the diffuser and concentrator fit perfectly. The straightening pick fits too, but not as perfectly as the other too. It is wider in diameter, so it covers the words, like you mentioned. But it does stay secured. I think you can find a diffuser at the Conair website that would fit your version.

@sephora & ataraxiaeleven: I also know what you're saying about the measurement when it comes to getting a trim. It's so annoying when people can't measure correctly! And they also don't realize that hair is different when it's dry and when it's wet. They should cut when it's dry also.

Do any of you get your hair texturized or have gotten it texturized with thinning shears? I hate how rough the ends of my hair feel when that's done sometimes. I've only gotten it done a few times in the past year because my hair is so thick, and it is a lot shorter now. But still...kinda annoying. Maybe it's just me.

Every time they've texturized my hair I've ended up with a bazillion split ends. And massive frizziness. I don't let them do it anymore, point cut only.

When they take the scissors and run it down a length of hair to give it 'texture' - sometimes it done with a razor, then it's called razoring. Razoring is a bit cleaner looking.

^I think part of the excess split ends comes simply from friction from the layers and texture rubbing against each other. My hair is currently one length on the top and sides. They have some split ends but nothing horrible now that I am babying my hair. But the back of my hair was stacked a bit when I had my major cut about 2 months ago. All the layers in the back are badly split. I cannot afford to get it cut this paycheck so in two more weeks when I go, I will probably have to have at least a full 3/4 inch taken off all over to get the splits in the back and make it even with the rest of my hair. Like I said, I wonder if it is just the friction of rubbing against each other that does it.

Oh, and does anyone here clarify regularly? I do it about every three weeks-month. I find that if I don't, my scalp will start to itch and my hair will feel extra dry. I don't use shampoo and conditioner with silicone (that builds up) but my heat protectant and hair serum (the only styling product I use) both have silicone. And deep conditioning. Does anyone else here deep conditioning regularly? I try to do it every week, but sometimes I just don't have time to spend an hour with goop on my head with a shower cap on, so I try to do a minimum of once every two weeks. I am actually going to clarify and deep condition tonight, lol.

Oh, and does anyone here clarify regularly? I do it about every three weeks-month. I find that if I don't, my scalp will start to itch and my hair will feel extra dry. I don't use shampoo and conditioner with silicone (that builds up) but my heat protectant and hair serum (the only styling product I use) both have silicone. And deep conditioning. Does anyone else here deep conditioning regularly? I try to do it every week, but sometimes I just don't have time to spend an hour with goop on my head with a shower cap on, so I try to do a minimum of once every two weeks. I am actually going to clarify and deep condition tonight, lol.

You know what's better than clarifying shampoo? ACV! Seriously...once a week, it's the exponential equivalent, but less damaging! It's amazing.

I recommend using less conditioner during the summer, as odd as that sounds. Maybe conditioning every other day...but using a bit of leave-in conditioner if you spend a lot of time in the sun.

so what is you guys hair routine? We have talked alot about hair care but not our personal hair regimens. Mine in wash with mane n tail shampoo, let it sit while I wash my face then rinse, condition with mane n tail conditioner, let it sit for 5 mins, then rinse with cold water, wrap my hair in a towel for a few minutes, then use a small dollop of the mane n tail conditioner as a leave in, then I use two pumps of got 2 be smooth operator smoothing lotion for heat protection, let it completely air dry (which can take up to 8 hours, my hair may be only chin length and the strands themselves are fine, but it is thick, very thick) then flat iron in sections on medium heat and use a little of my bioinfusion olive oil serum to slick away any frizz or flyaways. I only was my hair once every three days, try to deep condition every week with bioinfusion olive oil deep conditioner, and try to clarify at least once a month. Sometimes I use loreal vive pro hydragloss shampoo and conditioner, but seriously, mane n tail is the only stuff that makes my hair feel amazing.

I absolutely hate my hair. I'm so incompetent when it comes to styling. I'm fantastic @ makeup but for some reason hair baffles me. I'm going to get it cut and hopefully dyed today, so I'm pretty excited. Since I'm so terrible at hir my daily routine is simple and boring. I just wash, condition and towel dry. I usually straighten my bangs because they get curled up and greasy.

I was wondering, have any of you gotten a perm? I really, really want curly hair but I'm so scared to kill it. I've seen some BAD perms before. I also dye my hair on a regular basis since I was like 12.... I guess I'll ask the hairstylist about it today when I go.

So...my blow-dryer finally gave out. :rolleyes: lol For the past few days, I've been mostly air-drying...but because my hair is so thick, even when it is really hot and humid, I need to blow-dry. I do it on low/cool setting, then increase for a min or so on medium; then I air-dry when I'm at 70% or so. Also, my hair is wavy and curly in some parts, so in order for it to look decent, I have to blow-dry with a round brush or paddle brush.

Anyway, I bought a new one. It's the Conair Ceramic Tourmaline Styling System. It cost me about $23 at Wal-Mart. It's really nice. It has three really cool attachments. I like to dry smooth/straight/wavy and wavy/curly styles. So, I'm going to use it tomorrow and see how it goes. Then, reply with my review.

OK, I've been using this for about a week. It's really nice. I've tried the directional nozzle, the straightening pick, and the diffuser. I honestly don't like the straightening pick. I get more out of a round brush and the directional nozzle. As far as waves go, the diffuser really helps. It's really nice.

I like the fact that my hair dries rather quickly on the low/cool setting without having to apply any heat.

I think it would be easier if it weighed less. But it is still really nice.

My Rating: 4/5 stars.

I do a modified Curly Girl daily routine for wavy hair. I wet my hair letting water flow through it daily. On the two days I shampoo I apply conditioner from the ends to midshaft first. Then I apply a little shampoo only to my scalp and roots. Rinse that out completely. After that and on the days I don't shampoo I apply an appropriate amount of conditioner and comb my hair with my fingers or a wide tooth comb. Then I rinse for a few seconds. I scrunch my soaking wet hair with a microfiber towel. Then I apply clear gel or Jessicurl Confident Coils and plop or plunk my hair with a microfiber towel. It's like scrunching for the entire time you wear it. When I finish my skin care routine I take it down. I create my part and leave it like that or add a little more gel to the top and do the playtex method for hair height that's in the Curly Girl book.