Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luv2dance

need help! breakouts around my mouth

over the years my acne has gotten A LITTLE better but not much. However it has not gotten better around my mouth. I have constant breakouts of some cysts and some whiteheads and they are always fairly close or very close to my mouth and chin. I change pillow cases, use new towels, clean my phone, etc. I'm not sure why this is the problem area. it is so annoying!!! any advice??

Do you wear lipstick or lipgloss? I used to have that problem everytime I usd Bobbi Brown lipstick. I switched to MAC and now, I dont breakout there anymore.

better put a buttload of moisturizer there everyday till you see no flakes or dry skin

me, i use buttloads of GOOD moisturizer not Dan Kern bullcrap.. and i havent seen mouth zits or chin zits for about 2-3 months now.

Could it have anything to do with your toothpaste?

Good advice, avoid any toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate. I recommend either pronamel or biotene

i think thats bullcrap, i use toothpaste with sodium layrel sulfate everyday and never have problems with mouth zits or etc.

its about dryness around the mouth and chin area that causes those ugly looking white puss-filled zits.

i think thats bullcrap, i use toothpaste with sodium layrel sulfate everyday and never have problems with mouth zits or etc.

its about dryness around the mouth and chin area that causes those ugly looking white puss-filled zits.

Interesting reply..i've been having some around my mouth lately..but their tiny blind pimples that hang around for a while before really coming to a head..Gonna try to moisturize a bit more, cause at night I do'nt use any moisturizer in that area..

Adam, I hate to break it to you, but you're only one person. Just because something does or does not work for or affect you doesn't mean that that's just how it is. Your personal experiences do not represent the experiences of everyone.

Adam, I hate to break it to you, but you're only one person. Just because something does or does not work for or affect you doesn't mean that that's just how it is. Your personal experiences do not represent the experiences of everyone.

why the hell do you always come around and smack me down everyime i try to share some good advice huh? What is your problem? I see other people here give their advise on what to use and i dont see you jump on their backs about it. Like everyone else, im sharing my experience with acne, so lay off.

why the hell do you always come around and smack me down everyime i try to share some good advice huh? What is your problem? I see other people here give their advise on what to use and i dont see you jump on their backs about it. Like everyone else, im sharing my experience with acne, so lay off.

No, sodium lauryl sulfate is highly comedogenic. Shes right. Just because it doesnt break you out doesnt mean it doesnt break other people out. Shes responding that way because you called what she wrote bullshit

You just happen to post when I'm on. And I just happen to post when I disagree with something you say. You've made plenty of posts that I haven't responded to. I hardly "smack you down every time".

No, sodium lauryl sulfate is highly comedogenic. Shes right. Just because it doesnt break you out doesnt mean it doesnt break other people out. Shes responding that way because you called what she wrote bullshit

well sorry to c'est levine but in my opinion SLS has nothing to do with acne, i get the SLS toothpaste i use on my lips all the time and havent got mouth acne in a long time since i use loads of moisturizer. my 2 pesos take it or leave it

You just happen to post when I'm on. And I just happen to post when I disagree with something you say. You've made plenty of posts that I haven't responded to. I hardly "smack you down every time".

You make it seem like im following you around trying to disagree with you, lol. Im just wandering on acne.org sharing some advise is that so wrong? and yes you and Wynne smack me down all the time when i share something.

You make it seem like im following you around trying to disagree with you, lol. Im just wandering on acne.org sharing some advise is that so wrong? and yes you and Wynne smack me down all the time when i share something.

Not once have I ever implied that you follow me around. And maybe the reason Wynne and I seem to disagree with you so often is because (gasp!) we often disagree with what you say. And, to be honest, I haven't even noticed Wynne saying anything to you.

So let's be done with this. You've expressed your point of view on the OP's issue, and I've expressed mine. Whether or not you feel that you're being unfairly persecuted has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Hey thanks for all the advice but I actually do use a gentle moisturizer, no lip gloss or lip stick, and i'm pretty sure I dont get toothpaste on my face......any other advice?

as for moisturizer i recommend Triceram, its the only moisturizer i trust not to have harmful ingredients in it. You will have a better success rate with this by applying it to the affected area, good luck!

Hi -

I wanted to add my two cents - some people are allergic or very sensitive to SLS or sulfates. I'm allergic to sulfa and get dermatitis/bumps if I use SLS products. II have to look at ingredients in skincare and toothpaste to NOT have SLS. So while, many aren't allergic, some really are.

Yvette

as for moisturizer i recommend Triceram, its the only moisturizer i trust not to have harmful ingredients in it. You will have a better success rate with this by applying it to the affected area, good luck!

I thought not too long ago you were raving about Cerave moisturizer being so good? What's the deal with that one now?

Pimples around my mouth are also the most problematic. Maybe I should give this crapload moisturizing a try. I don't think it'll work though. I basically tried that for two weeks and on and off throughout this year with Cetaphil and their SPF facial moisturizer and regular moisturizer with not the greatest results, but a buttload of forehead skin-colored bumps. :think:

luvtodance,

Breakouts esp cysts around the mouth and chin are always indicative of hormonal acne. In my experience (and I've had a lot of it I am 39 y/o and been dealing with hormonal acne since puberty) no topicals, diet changes, lasers, antibiotics, etc. will "cure" it until the hormones have run their cycle. It sucks I know.

Have you spoken with your derm about spirinolactone? It's actually a potassium sparing diuretic used to treat high blood pressure however it also has anti androgen properties which work to block testosterone receptors on the skin. It is highly affective in treating women with hormonal acne. It has been the only thing to clear me up and keep me clear. I am going on my 4th month now and couldn't be happier with the results.

I am not sure how you feel about taking oral meds but if you are open to it I am sure this will help your mouth / chin acne. My Dr. says it is very safe to use (despite the wacko claims) he said in his 40 years of practicing medicine and he's a general practioner not a derm, he's never heard of one bad reaction from anyone taking it.

You can read hundreds of reviews about it here: http://www.acne.org/spironolactone-reviews/305/page1.html

Good luck

Green

Hi -

I wanted to add my two cents - some people are allergic or very sensitive to SLS or sulfates. I'm allergic to sulfa and get dermatitis/bumps if I use SLS products. II have to look at ingredients in skincare and toothpaste to NOT have SLS. So while, many aren't allergic, some really are.

Yvette

Yvette, I'm allergic to sulpha, and my toothpaste as SLS in it, so does my shampoo, and I've noticed I get hairline zits when my shampoo bleeds over onto my forehead. Doh! I should have realized I'd have a reaction to anything sulfa related. !

luvtodance,

Breakouts esp cysts around the mouth and chin are always indicative of hormonal acne. In my experience (and I've had a lot of it I am 39 y/o and been dealing with hormonal acne since puberty) no topicals, diet changes, lasers, antibiotics, etc. will "cure" it until the hormones have run their cycle. It sucks I know.

Have you spoken with your derm about spirinolactone? It's actually a potassium sparing diuretic used to treat high blood pressure however it also has anti androgen properties which work to block testosterone receptors on the skin. It is highly affective in treating women with hormonal acne. It has been the only thing to clear me up and keep me clear. I am going on my 4th month now and couldn't be happier with the results.

I am not sure how you feel about taking oral meds but if you are open to it I am sure this will help your mouth / chin acne. My Dr. says it is very safe to use (despite the wacko claims) he said in his 40 years of practicing medicine and he's a general practioner not a derm, he's never heard of one bad reaction from anyone taking it.

You can read hundreds of reviews about it here: http://www.acne.org/spironolactone-reviews/305/page1.html

Good luck

Green

Too bad that's only for women. Whiteheads around my mouth and chin area are easily the most reappearing. I'd like to get me some of that. :lol: