Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
angeleyes087

Will accutane keep working after stopping treatment?

hi there! so i am stopping accutane early because for the past weeks it's been causing gastrointestinal problems (cramping in a way that matches symptoms of IBS, chrons,). so i have been on it for 4 months, and just over the past 2 weeks have i really seen the effects. however, i still have scabs on my face because nothing heals on this stuff. i havent had a breakout for almost 2 weeks now though. does anyone know: will accutane keep making my skin better for a few weeks after i stop?? i know it stays in the system for 2 weeks-1month after so im hoping that is the case. as an aside, im going to the derm today to start a new regimen to try and keep the effects of the accuitane that i got from 4 months of treatment. any help or support would be much appreciated!=) also, if you've been on accutane what has your post -accutane regimen been? ive heard that starting a topical retinoid treatment maintains your results infinitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!

I was on Accutane before, about 5 years ago, when I got off it, they gave me a toner from Neutrogena, with Gyloclic Acid.. told me to keep washing my face with cetaphil cleanser, and to use m cetaphil face cream. I never had a break out.. until i got pregnant, my hormones changed, and my break out began.. so after 5 yrs im back on Accutane.. hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there. I was on accutance twice. During the time I was on it my skin was very clear with hardly any pimples, and no break outs. I recently stopped using accutance and my skin is back to the way it was, very red, and acne prone. I suggest taking accutane, it works, but don't be too surprised if one's acne comes back. I am now following the regiment, hopefully it works.

again, if it comes back, don't be too startled, keep trying new things. And if it doesn't come back then consider yourself lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not read the first post and here is what I went through, and what happens when taking accutane.

Your skin will stay clear for a brief period, and then you will have another break out after the drug. The drug does stay in your system- not sure how long. The break out will be caused by the body getting used to not having the drug in your system. It needs the drug and dwells on it to the point that the body is not used to what it was like before accutane. After the break out(s), you will have very nice skin, as well, you need to be off the drug for your facial scarring to heal, usually the acne will not form where you had it the worst. It takes months for the scarring to heal, at least for me. I was told by the dermatologist to leave my face alone after stopping accutane. The last thing your skin needs is to have clogged pores.

After accutane, it was very relieving, the symptoms went away very quickly; such as being tired, severe dry skin, etc. If you are lucky accutane will work 75% of the time after one session with the drug ( again, dermatologist told me), then if you get your acne back and its a 95% chance you will never get acne- only the occasional pimple. If you are me, I am in the 5% range that got my acne back. NOT MANY PEOPLE do. Usually teenage girls and boys around the age of 13/14 will get their acne back because of puberty, etc.

Hopefully this helps, if you go back on accutance I would suggest not following the regimen until after the treatment, then once you are done consult your dermatologist.

If you have any other questions please send me a message, I would gladly help.

- Marquis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so i have been off of the accutane for 12 days now. Last week the stomach problems were getting really worrisome so i went to the dr. They found no serious problems; just that my sotmach is now producing too much acid. I've been on prilosec now for 5 days, and it definitely seems to be helping.

as far as skin goes, i wanted to update! i haven't gotten one pimple since stopping accutane. However, my skin DOES NOT HEAL on accutane, and i STILL have scabs that are healing from weeks ago. my derm just gave me this great stuff called biafine which brings white blood cells to the surface to help with healing. the past 2 days it has seemed to make a difference. i also started taking zinc right before bed (30 mg every other day), and a multivitamin+fishoil pill in the morning. i figure the multivitamin and fish oil pill are good for me anyway. i've also been exercising every day. i am determined to never go on accutane again. those stomach problems are not worth it! as a sidenote, the stomach problems are a really rare side effect so dont let that scare you if anyone reading this is considering accutane. if you begin getting a side effect you dont like dont be afraid to STOP! long term bad stuff is not worth the good skin!

but after 4 months on accutane...& nearly two weeks off, so far so good! i realize it is probably still in my system but im hoping for the best-no more breakouts! :dance:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×