Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frshdeez

starting accutane

im starting accutane next week on the 11th, and jus thought id start this thread to record my progress throughout it.

Introduction/my story

Ill spare you my life story and give you the just of my situation. I have had acne pretty bad since i was 15 which was really bad in highschool mostly throughout all of grade 11.However, it got better before grade 12 and only had a few small breakouts and a coupel of red spots. This is when i first decided to go on accutane, to clear up the remaining few pimples i had. For the first few days nothign seemed to be happening, but after about a week i began to break out bad and get really crusty(dry chapped lips etc). To make matters worse, i happened to drink on accutane which could have actually been causing the drug to not work as effectively as its supposed to. After about 2 and a half months on accutane i finally gave up seeing as i knew i couldnt handle taking it responsibly. Now around 3 weeks after that it was the end of december, and i had began to start tanning(yeh i kno its pretty gay, ill admit that) to get ready for a trip to cancun with the fams. during this time my acne had acutally disappeared completely, whcih could have been due to the darker skin just maksin the redspots, but as far as i saw they went away. This lasted till around february, nd then i started to break out almost as bad as before, on my cheeks and on my forehead. I then began to use proactive, thinking hey! this will work. I used proactive for 4 months, and after using it i began to break out more on ym face, especially under ym chin, wher ei had never broke out before. Frustrated and tired of beign plagued by acne i tried more desperate measures. Lucky for me, my mom is pretty well known and has a few friends, one of which is a laser surgeon. This is where i got pdt done. yeh it is 2000 bux, and after eahc treatment you get wrapped up like a mummy and can't go out for 2 days, but ur skin is clear. Well mine was, at least for 3 months. After goin 5 times and paying 2000 dollars, the laser surgeon said i should go on accutane again. That was last fall, sept.2008. and here i am again. It is truly a viscious circle, but hopefully this time i will be able to see some result from accutane.

P>S:sorry for accidentally telling my whole story
:doh:

So far im on day 4, at about 40 mg. Only real thing to report is a little bit of a break out on the right side of my face, on my cheek about an inch from my nose, and some bumps on my fore head. To be safe, im applying moisturizing spf30 cream whenever i go out, because its getitn nice here, and my doc said if i begin to burn on this medication shes taking me off of it :|

Did pdt really clear you up completely for 3 months? I heard that most people only cleared up about 50 percent. Also, was it $2,000 for each treatment? $10,000 total? That seems pretty pricey, and I'm really sorry to hear that the results didn't last for you!

All the treatments in total cost $2000. It can be kind of a painful process, as they bascially do a few things. They give you a very abrasive microderm, then apply this lotion which they let dry on your face for 10 min, and it burns and smells really acidic. After that they put you under what is almost like a tanning light, and it activates the solution.you sit under this for around 15-20 min, and then after you done they wrapp you up like a mummy. After, you face is really red like you got a sunburn. towards the end they were starting to use a mild laser on some of my more stubburn bumps. It did remove some stubburn re occuring pimples, but by no means cured me, lol.kinda disappointing to be told i needed accutane at the end of all of it, again.

Day 10

My face is really dry around my mouth and chin, and i have white head popping up like crazy! some of the white heads on my forheads and cheeks are jus drying up n falling off, and jus leaving red spots.

Day 12

Well, its gettin nice out now and i have to sunscreen up. I havent noticed any irritation to sunlight yet, but i have noticed massive white heads sprout up on my upper lip. It looks disgusting. But, im not gonna pop them im hoping they will jus dry out and fall off.I kno that this is prolly only gonna get worse. urgh.