Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drizzler

Can anyone vouch for this?

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

This article states how not eating breakfast is actually better for acne...

I don't really buy the fact that having 5 extra hours or so of fasting per day adds up in a month, because doesn't fasting really only have benefits when its done for a reasonably long time on its own?

Then again, there was a time during college where I lived fairly far from campus and never allowed myself enough time to eat much of anything for breakfast, and I didn't really have much acne then... likely just a coincidence.

Some cultures it seems there is a very low emphasis on breakfast such as some european countries, I wonder if there is some significance. I generally trust the eating habits of Italians/French etc because they have been eating according to traditions for hundreds/thousands of years.

Thoughts?

I think it's an individual thing; I've tried it for a while and it made things worse for me. I agree with alternavista on the small dinner method of fasting instead, but you may be able to go without breakfast and it may even be beneficial, you'll just have to try it.

I removed the url from your post; that site has been persistent at spamming us non-stop; registering new accounts after being banned, etc.

If you want to extend your fast, eat dinner earlier, make it smaller, or skip it.

Im not too keen on that idea because when you skip meals, you crave food more and that leads to weight gain

Sometimes it can help. I usually skip breakfast on Monday morning. I have family dinners most Sundays which usually involve a homemade dessert. I find if I eat something dense/sugary (ie frosted cake), I wake up feeling like I ate a brick and my energy is low. Skipping breakfast also helps reduce or eliminate any possible sugar-related breakouts for me.

During the week I always make a yummy breakfast. I usualyl eat some form of eggs, white flour, cream, butter, margarine, coffee, stevia and sometimes homemade vanilla extract. Works for me. Breakfast is the best time to eat your carbs as you are more likely to burn them up over the course of the day. I wouldn't make a habit of skipping breakfast.

Ewww margarine is disgusting! For one thing its full of transfats, for another it tastes terrible, and for another you dont need both margarine and butter in your food (pick one or the other).

If you want to extend your fast, eat dinner earlier, make it smaller, or skip it.

Im not too keen on that idea because when you skip meals, you crave food more and that leads to weight gain

I'm not keen on skipping meals either. But the premise is about prolonging the nightly fast by not eating until lunch. So I say extend by altering dinner habits, not breakfast.

I'm not keen on skipping meals either. But the premise is about prolonging the nightly fast by not eating until lunch. So I say extend by altering dinner habits, not breakfast.

There's seems to be evidence that skipping breakfast is not good for you. For example, Farshchi et al reported that breakfast-skipping decreased post-meal insulin sensitivity and increased LDL cholesterol. Skipping breakfast also has significant effects on cognitive function.

Farshchi's study: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/81/2/...ourcetype=HWCIT

It's possible that humans may be wired to eat a meal soon after waking.

I skip breakfast and I feel better without eating breakfast.

I have always skipped breakfast since I was 6 and I functioned incredibly well at school, unlike my classmates that looked and acted like zombies the whole time. Prompted by my physician at the beginnin of high school I introduced breakfast. I started getting more forgetfull, deconcentrated and tired. After 1/4 of a year on bad grade I started again on no breakfast and my school productivity improved 100%.

The problem with breakfast studies is that they're correlative.

For example usually people who don't eat breakfast (except from few conscious people like me) are just occasional junk food eater, who just grab a candy bar on the go. Eating breakfast culturally is related to better life management and better family bounds which are things that would positively affect cognition and test results.

If you look at studies of fasting it has been demonstrated that fasting for 48 hours doens't affect cognition and results on cognitive and calculus tests. The problem is that many earlier data on cognition and fasting has been extrapolated from ramadam. It has been proven that poor cognition during ramadam is due to not drinking. In fact this is also the reason why non-conscious breakfast eaten are cognitively slower, for the very same reason they don't eat breakfast (bad organization, boredome, laziness) they also don't drink water.

Also the few studies that directly checked what happened when they removed breakfast from breakfast eaten, didn't wait for some kind of adaptation to kick in. The body gets used to everything and adapts its hormonal and enzymatic cycles accordingly. Also habits have strong psychological power, the preocuppation with not getting any food or the hunger caused by an adaptation of ghrelin to breakfast might explain the cognitive slow down.

From a physiological point of view skipping breakfast should increase concentration and well being by releasing catecholamines. From a cyrcadian point of view, when we have an empty stomach we're meant to be alert, concentrated and have fast reflexes, when we have eaten we are meant to relax mentally and physically and enjoy the sensation of a full stomach.

Also how do you feel at breakfast depends a lot on what and how you have eaten for dinner.

Consuming lot of carbs before sleeping might induce night hypoglycemia which leads to hard waking up and feeling literally drunk in the morning.

I have been told for years that after waking up and while consuming breakfast is the moment we're the most insulin sensitive. I have seen evidence that after waking up is the moment we're the most insulin resistant.

I have been told for years that after waking up and before consuming breakfast our blood sugar is very low. I have checked personally with a glucometer and found out that waking up is when my blood sugar is at its "highest" during a fast.

Our body is very good at maintaning balanced blood sugar, we mess it up either by eating or by what we have eaten before. Sugar is not low in the morning because glycogen has been and is still being slowly released.

Of course if you're sedentary, eat candy bars and tortilla chips on the go, drink alcohol you will wake up needing breakfast as you will have done everything possible to mess up your body natural blood sugar levelling mechanism activating all kind of nasty things like hypoglycemia, night dehydration and glycogen impairment.

Humans are not wired to eat a meal after waking up, not only what happens biochemically at the night fast demonstrates it but also the fact that, without modern abundance of cheap foods, we would need to do quite a few food searching, gathering or hunting before eating.

I wake up starving most mornings. And I also eat a second breakfast a few hours later.

I wake up starving most mornings. And I also eat a second breakfast a few hours later.

I can vouch for this. I eat two small breakfasts and two small dinners!