Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dalsor

My Personal Accutane Journal with Pictures. V2!

Haha...well, my accutane journal got erased as a result of whatever bastard who decided to mess with the forums...oh well. I have a copy of my journal...so i'll repost...along with a new 2 month update with pictures!

----

Wow...Can't believe i'm doing this...anyways. I'm 17 years old...been cursed with good ol' acne for about 3 years. Didn't really start out too bad...minimal acne...no bacne or anything...just on the face. Well, about a year later...it started going worse...I started using over the counter topicals, astringents and the such. Didn't really work. Soon my acne got pretty bad...started on Tetracycline...didn't do anything, then went onto retiin a...didn't work...then on minocin + banzcyclin topical...still didn't work. Anyways...i'm starting my journal a little late...since I just discovered this great resource. Well...will post some before pictures...i'm about a month and 1 week in. Have been experiencing some side effects...the basic dry lips, skin, rash on hands, but also...some back pains...and some hair thinning. But...I think it's all worth it...to clear up my acne. I've never really had bad social problems...i'm pretty outgoing at school...and try to make the best with what I have...but it's always a hinderance...I used to picak a lot...but have stopped since i've gone on the tane....anyways...that's about it...will try to update every day/week...with pics. Thanks in advance for listening....prom is in two days p.0

Also...here is my regimen everyday...

Morning-

Eat breakfast...

pop some vitamin e, some vitamin c, and some msm.

cleanse with cetaphil gentle cleansing

put lotion...if needed

Night-

eat dinner

pop my accutane...i'm on 40 mg once a day.

cleanse "

lotion...or no? -Anyone know anything about whether i should put lotiuon on before I go to sleep?

Also...I have heard applying neosporin to pimples...helps kill the bacteria...this true?

----

user posted image

Before....around christmas.

----

user posted image

Here is a little after x-mas...around febuary...not sure. This around the time I got my girlfriend...she was pretty cool...we met at Macys* where I work...she thought I was cute...maybe she couldn't see my face...haha. Anyways, we broke up...last week...yet i'm still going to prom with her...hopefully it will be fun. :unsure2:

-----

Anyways...just to let you know...a little after that...I started breaking out like a madman...which caused a lot of stress...also...further stress was put on me from my (now) ex-girlfriend...I was always picking and worrying about my face around her...or before I'd meet up with her...i'd say my face was about 3 times as bad as that above pic

-----

Anyways...here is my current pic...after a month and one week on the "tane."

40 mg a day. Hrm, also forgot to mention...my forehead broke out like a crazy pizza after I changed my hair to my "crazy" style...my mom thought I resembled a hobo...but I liked it. I guess it could have been the excessive gel...and the hair touching my forehead all the time...but it has been clearing a bit. But yeah...I got a haircut last week for prom..

user posted image

-------

Well, that's about it for now...will post updates as they come.

-Matt.

Bleh, small update...not even acne related. I was sitting on my computer chair this morning(stayed home...cause I'm sick...and need to get better for prom...tomorrow.) anyways, i'm sitting there...and my cat runs up and digs her claws into the sides...and pulls herself up to the very top...she does this a lot...so it didn't surprise me...but I looked up, to pet her...and she thought I was playing. Anyways, she swiped her paw at my face and got me above the eyebrow....I thought she might of missed...since it didn't hurt...and I went to feel it....and there was no blood...but there is a red scratch there now...so I put some neosporin on it...and am just waiting...I have prom pictures. It's not really to bad though...makes me look...."rugged". Haha.

-Matt.

1 month 1 1/2 weeks

Darniiiit. I'm clearing up pretty well. Most of my old acne is gone...and i'm not having many new acne breakouts. For some reason...my face has become less dry...no more peeling...it's really nice. But yeah, for some reason...I kinda broke out on my upper lip and lower left cheer...forehead still has 3 annoying whiteheads. But yeah...I won't pop it. However...I have some crazy red marks...as shown above. If I got rid of thos...I would be pretty clear...any suggestions? Hrm...that's about it.

-Matt

ps: Prom was OK....I went with my ex-girlfriend...who was quite cool about the whole situtation...so yeah. I'll post some pics if you're interested?

Update:: 1 Month 19 days.

Well, feeling alright. Just got back from work and decided to post an update. My face is pretty red...and I've been putting some aloe vera before bed every night to help with that. My lips are really chapped and they're hurting...my back pain is still there. My hair has stopped thinning...so taht's good. Erm...I had a bloody nose yesterday...not too bad. Umm...my face has gotten a little bit drier from that aloe vera...so i'm getting flakey. Anyways...still using the same regimen...except added aloe vera every morning and every night. Any suggestions on reducing the redness? But yeah...i'm haviong some great improvement...it's so great to run your hand across your face...and not feel 80 million bumps...or pimples. For the first time in my life...I can shave...without worrying. I LOVE IT. Anyways, here ya goi. Picture at 1 Month and 19 days on 40mg/day.

----------

user posted image

------

-Matt

Update:: 2 Months.

Well...feeling pretty good. Graduation is coming up in a week and a half...kind of stressing about that. Going off to the Universty of California: Riverside next year...woo hoo. Hrm, my skin has been acting weird lately...the right side has been clearing up like crazy...with almost NO active acne...it's great. My forehead is also clearing up quite a bit. But, for some reason my left side of my face is breaking out like a pizza...it's really depressing...when the rest of your face is ok. For about a week and a half I have been applying aloe vera to my skin to help with the red marks...I thought aloe vera was supposed to moisturize but it has caused a lot of dryness...but I see some improvement on the redmarks. I'm still experiencing some side effects...unfortunately I forgot to apply lotion to my arms and legs for a while...and the rash came back on my hands and arms...so i'm trying to fix that. My lips are the worst side effect...it doesn't really look bad in the pictures...but they're killing me...aquaphor is too glossy and blistex doesn't work well enough. And...when I apply aquaphor...you can see my skinn coming off...like flakes...it's quite disturbing. I had 2 bloody noses this month...not really bad...and my nose has been feeling really weird lately...like my body is in overdrive to produce boogers(for lack of better word) or something. I've started to drink a lot of water...and at school...eating healthy...a sub, salad, and some naked juice. Hrm, I visit my derm tomorrow...and my mom took my blood today...hope everything works out. Anyways, here are two pics...one close...one far away...just to show how the acne is getting less noticable...thought I have one huge stupid whitehead on my left frontal cheek >.<

-------

Close-up:

user posted image

----

Far away...in my bathroom...haha.

user posted image

----

Thanks for reading,

-Matt

---

Wanna know what pisses me off...when you resist the urge to pop or touch a whitehead for the whole day...then you take a shower...and you accidently wipe it off your face. God...that's happened to me about 3 times...I just curse...very loudly. Also happens when my skin is so dry...and my hand just glances my face...and I take one off. I HATE IT!

::Placeholder for pictures::

Well, I graduated two days ago...quite crazy. But yeah, i've been on accutane for about 3 months 15 days...my right side of my face has no new acne, and my temples are the same...the god darn redmarks are annoying...and for SOME reason...the left side of my face...is like the most stubborn acne on earth...it was clear for about a week...which was nice...but it keeps breaking out. I stopped using aloe vera on my face....it was too harsh...and now I have a dry patch of skin on the left side of my face..>.< Anyways, I haven't had any really major side effects...my hair seems to be falling out...like one strand a day...but I could just be more aware of it...and my lips are KILLING me. I swear...they are never not chapped, I put gobs of Aquaphor on at night and some aquaphor in the day...and they are still chapped to heck. My back isn't hurting much anymore either. I'm so glad that I found a good sunblock...when we had rehearsal three days ago, the sun was out...and it was about 103 degrees...no sunburen on my face at all...I use Oil of Olay complete spf 15. It uses zinc oxide as it's sun protectant which doesn't clog pores. It looks really white at first but it absorbs into the skin realllly fast. I recommend it to anyone. I have about four pictures I wan't to upload...but I formatted my computer and am in the process of downloading my image program...check back in a day...for the adding of the pics.

-Matt

--------

Here are the photos, as promised.

-----

user posted image

Me trying on my friends top 10 gown. He is trying to point to a pimple i bet. >.<

--------

user posted image

My stinking forehead looks bad in this pic...and I look weird. This is me with my old time friend.

----------

user posted image

This is me doing my infamous pose. Haha. In the shoe department. I love how my acne doesn't look as bad.

----------

user posted image

Me after my graduation with my doctor...not my derm.

-------

Anyways, I've completely stopped my use of aloe vera on my face at night, and in the morning. It is much to harsh. I have developed on both sides of my nose(right beneath my eyes) REALLY dry areas of skin which is flakey, and peeling. I have been applying lotion every nioght to try to moisturize but it is sooo flakey...all the lotion does in the day time is make the peeling skin more pronounced. Any suggestions? Also...any suggestions on my chapped lips of death...I can't kiss anyone, they are so dry...and i'm usign aquaphor...anything better?

------

-Matt

Dalsor bro I see so much progress that its crazy. Wow man there is no doubt in my mind that your skin will be clear by the end of your accutane treatment. Actually it looks like your skin may be clear by the end of your 4th month. Congrats man another winner in this unending fight.

Another congrats from me man! Looking very good and I too agree you'll be clear really soon! I hope my course on accutane turns out as good as yours.

Hey! I just discovered this website tonight.. and I am thrilled! Its great to see actual results and opinions from the people trying these products and not just the doctors advice in taking it. Your face is really clearing up! My face looks very similar to yours in your first picture.. my doctor put me on Tazorac about 1.5 months ago and I havent seen much of a difference... hopefully its just time and it will really start to show soon. I am getting so impatient having had to deal with this since i was in 6th grade and I'm now 19, though it was never nearly this bad until I moved to Florida.. I feel like I've tried everything.. I decided to order proactive to see if using their cleanser and toner might help with the Tazorac. I dont know if thats good or bad, I guess we will see. I'd never heard of accutane before coming to this message board but it seems to be hot. If Tazorac doesnt do anything for me maybe thats the next step up. Ive heard good things about Tazorac though.. so in the meantime I guess I'll just keep up hope. Good luck and keep us posted with your results!! Youre looking really good!

Btw, small update...for some reason(I may have stated it before...but my left side of my face is looking HORRIBLE...I may be overexaggerating...but for some reason my right side of my face has been clear since the third week of the tane...but my left side is soooo stubborn...and breaks out like crazy...today I had like 3 whiteheads on my upper left forehead and 2 on my cheek...gosh DARNIT! Is this normal?

-Matt

hey,

nice journal....my acne is somewhat like yours. Its not that bad, no crazy cysts, but very persistant and acne leaves scars and redmarks. I just started accutane this week and I'll keep track of your journal, since you have similar acne to mine.

Dalsor? or Matt?

From reading your posts, you seem like such a cool guy, from what you've said I think its great how you seem to cope with your skin, and you can really see an improvement from the pics! you look gorge! good luck with it, no doubt you will be clear real soon!

hel x

Haha, thanks F1. Yeah, hopefully i'll be clear by the end. Actually...today the left side of my face is clearing a bit...very nice progress for one night...all I did was put some neosporin and aloe vera on the spots...worked wonders.

-Matt

(That's my real name ^.^)

That looks very similar to how mine was a few months ago.. It's getting better now, but still persistent acne in the usual areas I am prone to (Cheeks, Chin, Forehead).. I just had a quick question, you mentioned that when you were taking a shower, how the whiteheads wiped off.. I have the same problem too, I fight so hard not to touch them, but since they are above the suface of the skin, the water temp and pressure pushes them forward.. I was wondering if this is okay for the pimple or could it heighten the possibility of a scar/or longer to heal? If anyone has any info on this, post up smile.gif

Btw, small update...for some reason(I may have stated it before...but my left side of my face is looking HORRIBLE...I may be overexaggerating...but for some reason my right side of my face has been clear since the third week of the tane...but my left side is soooo stubborn...and breaks out like crazy...today I had like 3 whiteheads on my upper left forehead and 2 on my cheek...gosh DARNIT! Is this normal?

-Matt

Wow. 4 months. Hrm...been doing alright...a little bit stressed as of yet but oh well. My acne is doing Ok...my forehead + my left side of my face broke out about a week ago...and i'm just recovering...pretty annoying. I don't really have any new active acne other then 2 spots on my left(stubborn) side of my face...and on my forehead. Other than that...the only annoying thing are these gosh darn redmarks. The side effects of accutane have receded a bit...back aches have become less prevalent...and haven't had a bloody nose in a long time. Hrm, my chapped lips are doing better...I bought the us version of blistex medicated ointment...and burts bees beeswax chapstick and blistex blue tube moisture chapstick...so far medicated ointment is working bet...burts bee's is kinda just like a hard film over my lipsm that smells soooo good, but makes my lips feel more chapped. The blistex blue tube is pretty good...feels like it really moisturizes...but it doesn't last...then the medicated ointment actually feels like it really works...so yeah. Aquaphor I use at home...since it's so damn glossy. I've been applying aloe vera to the red marks...but I dunno if there's been any improvement..so yeah. I usually hear that stuff really starts to clear up around last few months of treatment...also...how long is a treatment usually...I forgot what my derm said my treatment would end. Well...other than that...here are the pics...one front, and 2 from both sides(a first...you can really see the gosh darn scars...and THE HORRIBLE red marks >.<) I just gotta wait till accutane really starts to work...so I don't feel like a beast when I go out. Gah.

--------

user posted image

Front. I look really odd in this pic. I fell asleep earlier..and woke up and decided to take pics. I was also a bit sweaty..i forgot to leave my fan on...cause it is about 102 degrees here...about 86 at night. Bleh.

--------

user posted image

Left side of my face. This side is a realllllly stubborn side. It has just started clearing...after being infested with crap since I started. Thank god.

-------

user posted image

The best side of my face(Well other than those damn things near my neck...I was shaving about 4 days ago...and I didn't notice the whitehead...so...yeah I shaved it off...hurt like the dickens. I was freaking out...you know how when you're trying to be so careful...and still do what you don't wanna do? Blah. Anyways this side has been clear from pretty much 2 months into the treatment. I had one whitehead on my cheek...which dissapeared after 1 day!?!?! It's crazy the amount accutane diminishes the pimple cycle...I love it. But...as you will notice...even tho I am clear I have red marks up the wazoo...get rid of the acne just to be left with red marks. Also a note to all...most of these red marks were due to me picking /before/ I went on accutane and /before/ i found the forums. I almost never touch my face now. But yeah...red marks make me look like rotten shite. So...does anyone have any tips...on how to get rid of red marks...WHILE on accutane? I've been using the aloe vera...but i dunno.

--------

Anyways...that's about it...will post update next month. Wish me luck!

Also, i'd like to thank everyone commenting on my journal...and my gallery...means a whole lot. Someone actually cares cry.gif...and some people are actually interested. Good luck to everyone on accutane!

My acne is pretty similar at this moment.. although I broke out a few days ago, but it's mostly just past blemishes and red marks that I am dealing with.. I still have some active acne, but not as much as I used to

Just a question, does accutane work to get rid of past marks as well or will it just kill the active/future acne?

My acne is pretty similar at this moment.. although I broke out a few days ago, but it's mostly just past blemishes and red marks that I am dealing with.. I still have some active acne, but not as much as I used to

Just a question, does accutane work to get rid of past marks as well or will it just kill the active/future acne?

Honestly, you're looking great and your positive outlook on the whole situation is really inspiring. Congrats on all your success- also, I would steer clear of putting aloe vera on your face in the future; I have found it causes me to break out a little when I use it on my body, so I definately think it might be a little to heavy for your face. Best of luck!! biggrin.gif