Notifications
Clear all

100mg zinc

MemberMember
(@timhasbadskin)

Posted : 04/01/2009 6:39 pm

Does anybody who takes zinc take 100mg or more a day?

This seems like it would be toxic.....lol.

But its the ONLY THING that has EVER cleared my skin.

I like this skin.

But Ive been taking 100mg of zinc for 1.5 weeks or so now, and....this might be bad. Does anybody do this?

Im afraid to take 50, it might not work as well.

MemberMember
(@deleted10)

Posted : 04/01/2009 10:28 pm

GET OFF IT NOW! Are you nuts?? I am not a health professional and don't know what happens with an overdose of it but you could start balding (and fast) and go pale, get migranes and spew up and your life could turn shit.

Go to 50mg now MAX, it'l be fine.

MemberMember
(@timhasbadskin)

Posted : 04/02/2009 3:31 am

Id just liek to add I can take the 50mg pills on an empty stomach with not a trace of nausea...

I guess I knew this was bad, I was just hoping someone would say its okay lol.

Well I will go to 75mg a day, and then down to 50mg I guess, I jsut hope I maintain this level of clearness.

Maybe that was why I have been getting mild headaches(I thought it was caffiene withdrawal, since I recently gave up drinking several cups of green tea daily)

Thanks man.

MemberMember
(@deleted10)

Posted : 04/02/2009 3:45 am

Don't!

Go straight down.

It basically eats up other vitamins in your body that you really need, and it is dangerous. Would you overdose on Accutane or something else serious? No. Just because it is at the supermarket does not mean its safe!

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 04/02/2009 9:55 am

I posted this a year ago and not many took notice. There is a search function here. Ive taken 100mg and take 30-60 daily.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Zinc-t186...55#entry2190255

MemberMember
(@xboxfreak)

Posted : 04/03/2009 2:45 pm

I think you can safely take it for a few months without any problems. Just watch for signs of a copper deficiency. I just recently started taking 100mg-120mg. Check out this post from another forum about high dosing Zinc http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=33544 Now keep in mind I take plenty of other supplements and I am watching my copper levels so I don't think it is really that dangerous.

P.S. Glad to hear Zinc is working for you. I just started taking high doses of Zinc 2-3 days ago so we will see how it goes for me.

MemberMember
(@databased)

Posted : 04/03/2009 3:48 pm

Does anybody who takes zinc take 100mg or more a day?

In this study, elderly subjects were given 100mg/day of zinc with no particular ill effects.

Zinc is highly regulated in the body. While taking a 100mg pill will get more zinc into your body than a 25mg pill, it will not get 4 times as much into your body. The bigger the dose of zinc you take, the less your intestine lets through, the greater the amount of zinc excreted in urine, etc. An ordinary dose of zinc within the RDA may not raise your blood levels of zinc at all if you are Vitamin D deficient. Zinc is complicated. Case studies of patients showing up with zinc overdose generally involve >=500mg/day for >6 months. One person produced a heart murmur by taking nearly 1,000mg/day for most of a year. Most online lore about zinc (e.g., that it is highly likely to cause nausea) is out-of-date or just fiction.

MemberMember
(@timhasbadskin)

Posted : 04/03/2009 5:11 pm

Thanks for all the replies, even though I am getting mixed answers here.

But I have to say, that the day after taking less than my nomal dose I broke out horribly.

Today my skin is as bad as it was before I started zinc, and zinc was the only thing that ever cleared my acne

Is it a coincidence? I have no clue, but it has made me pretty f*cking depressed.

F*ck the world.

MemberMember
(@xboxfreak)

Posted : 04/04/2009 11:45 am

I'd say if it was working, keep using it. I certainly will if it helps me (although I might try to taper after two months or so). If you are really worried, supplement with a little bit of copper to help offset any side-effects.

Here's another thread people might be interested in about 100mg Zinc a day. It has a lot of good info. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Zinc-Regi...-1-t227013.html

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 04/05/2009 8:39 am

Fucking links that dont work piss me off my bad. Here I will find it another way for you.

Zinc Monomethionine

Ingredient at a Glance

Zinc Monomethionine is a type of Zinc, which has been organically bound to a sulfur containing essential amino acid called Methionine. This is done to create a type of Zinc which is soluble and readily absorbable by the body, as well as being easily retained and unwillingly passed out of the body.

Ingredient in Focus

Methionine is also used in this compilation, and it possesses an ability to scavenge for free radicals. This is important to note, only because it has a high level of anti-oxidant activity, which also gives it anti-hepatotoxic ability. It has been shown that supplementation with Zinc Monomethionine may increase the body's supply of Zinc, without increasing copper levels. This is important, because without this ability, the body's copper levels would be too high and detrimental to overall health.

Zinc has been shown to strengthen the immune system and augment growth, while also playing a vital role in various biological functions; however, we know many people may be wondering what all this has to do with augmenting sexuality, so let's take a look.

How is OptiZinc different?

Research shows that a high-fiber meal can inhibit zinc absorption to under 3% of the amount consumed. A 1992 study showed that OptiZinc actually resists dietary fiber and phytate, and increases zinc absorption better than ordinary zinc supplements tested. In addition, unlike other zinc supplements, OptiZinc will not adversely affect copper absorption.

OptiZinc and L-OptiZinc are the only premium zinc supplements FDA-approved safe for human nutrition. Some zinc binding ligands, such as picolinic acid, have been shown to remove iron from cells and cause anemia, or increase lead absorption. OptiZinc and L-OptiZinc will not remove iron from cells or cause anemia. In fact, a 1991 study showed that a combination of zinc and methionine actually inhibits lead absorption and reduces lead levels in the blood.

MemberMember
(@umbrae)

Posted : 04/05/2009 10:14 am

Don't!

Go straight down.

It basically eats up other vitamins in your body that you really need, and it is dangerous. Would you overdose on Accutane or something else serious? No. Just because it is at the supermarket does not mean its safe!

Popping a 100mg pill of zinc will not theoretically mean you are actually going to get 100mg of elemental zinc. Pills in general are notorious for their poor bioavailability so I think 100mg is reasonable. Most theraputic doses of zinc start in the 300mg region.

Its pretty hard to overdose on zinc at the levels stated:

1. Actual bioavailability issues associated with the pill itself

2. Most people are actually zinc deficient because of a copper excess. Copper and zinc compete for absorption. I was a chronic anaemic since I was 10, which doctors found really strange because I was a male and obviously didn't menstruate. Now I am 21 and my latest blood test shows I have normal iron levels. I did some research and it turns out that excess copper can actually affect iron metabolism. Previous to that blood test I was taking about 60mg of zinc for about 3 months which would have reduced my copper levels to some extent.

To cut a long story short, copper is found EVERYWHERE! From the pots and pans you use to cook, to the water you drink (think copper piping). It is everywhere which is why it is important nowadays to supplement extra zinc.

Signs of copper excess include:

* Anxious/agitated

* Difficulty falling asleep

* Poor concentration

* Tinnitus (ringing in ears)

* Depressed (especially premenstrually or after pregnancy/childbirth)

* Frontal headaches

* Temper, tantrums or aggressive/violent tendencies

* Hyperactivity

* History of skin sensitivity to metals

3. Depending on the weather and your activity, you actually sweat out zinc. So large zinc dosages would actually be kind of justified.

Zinc is a great mineral especially for males. Zinc is known to slow the conversion of testosterone into DHT which is the androgen primarily responsible for acne (i.e. oily skin).

MemberMember
(@xboxfreak)

Posted : 04/05/2009 10:44 am

Excellent info jodiat about opti-zinc. Sounds like I made the right choice choosing it over Zinc Picolinate.

Excellent info umbrae about zinc and copper. I bet I have had too much copper because I have a lot of those systems of copper excess.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 04/05/2009 3:48 pm

No problem. My link above was so much better then what I copy and pasted there. It actually went into cell details and had pretty pictures! lol. Anyhow, yeah, last year I was on my Zinc quest and found Zinc Monomethionine, I have used it for a year and taken 30-100mg daily and its one of my essentials and easily in my top 3 supps. Not just for men either!

MemberMember
(@douchebag44rocketmail-com)

Posted : 04/05/2009 6:09 pm

Yeah i take 100mg daily too now.

With no sideeffects either so no problem really.

MemberMember
(@elleumas)

Posted : 02/08/2010 9:04 am

most if not all the opti-zinc supplements comes with trace amount of copper (300mcg) inside. is this ok or should I avoid them?

MemberMember
(@persuadedflower)

Posted : 02/08/2010 9:59 am

If it works for you without any side effects, then continue taking 100 mg. But, definitely do not take any more. It's nice to have clear skin, but it's pointless to have clear skin if you are hurting your overall health. :)

MemberMember
(@zincquestion)

Posted : 04/28/2011 10:38 pm

i am taking 100mg of zinc gluconate, how much copper should i be taking with this to ensure i dont get a zinc/copper imbalance.. i am deficient in zinc tho so my copper levels are already high however ive read that if you supplement for zinc eventually you become copper deficient as the copper is expelled from your body.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 04/28/2011 11:53 pm

not even one day.

MemberMember
(@ward123)

Posted : 11/19/2012 7:10 am

I have moderate acne since 12 years, started taking zinc gluconate 50 mg for 1 week then reduced it to 25 mg, long story short, had perfect glowing skin, was sooooo happy, however started feeling sleepy and tired all the time in my second week, got pulsating headaches and then unexplained fevers with flu like symptoms. Since zinc was the only addition in my regime, had to cut it out, I think I overdosed any ways can't live with these side effects it'd rather have acne.

MemberMember
(@lostid)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:07 am

I took 150mg+ zinc daily for a month but it didn't help my skin..now i'm taking 60mg for 3 month, well i'll continiue untill i run out but will not be buying again!

Did not notice any side effects..

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:30 am

Yes I did, and no effect.

MemberMember
(@dave-p)

Posted : 04/13/2020 5:34 pm

I am 70 years old a type 1 diabetic for 51 years and no side effects to this disease.

i have been taking 50mg of zinc with copper three times a day for the last seven years. The only time I have had any negative effects is when I reduced the dosage to one 50mg w/copper once per day. I could not figure out why I have had extremely sore muscles , no libido and complete lack of energy and pimples . I started out small dosages and built up to where I am now 50mg X 3 daily. In one days time I have gotten myself back to where I am productive and feel great. I may take this much because I am fairly large 6'4" and 235 lbs. If someone has problems with finding the right dosage, I would suggest doing the taste test with zinc and water.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 05/12/2020 4:19 am

On 4/13/2020 at 5:34 PM, Dave P said:

I am 70 years old a type 1 diabetic for 51 years and no side effects to this disease.

i have been taking 50mg of zinc with copper three times a day for the last seven years. The only time I have had any negative effects is when I reduced the dosage to one 50mg w/copper once per day. I could not figure out why I have had extremely sore muscles , no libido and complete lack of energy and pimples . I started out small dosages and built up to where I am now 50mg X 3 daily. In one days time I have gotten myself back to where I am productive and feel great. I may take this much because I am fairly large 6'4" and 235 lbs. If someone has problems with finding the right dosage, I would suggest doing the taste test with zinc and water.

Type 1 diabetic and no effects? That's quite the statement that I don't know if i want to investigate.

Zinc is a horrible taste from my experience. Ionic zinc from trace minerals was the easiest of a variety of brands to take. I would suggest liquid over pills as pills give terrible gastric upset over time leading to possible ulcers and gastritis. I would caution anyone taking that dosage or similar. Maybe build up to a certain mg and see if you have results and stop. To me 150mg a day is crazy. I'd be interested in your lipid profile at your age considering that amount is known to lower good cholesterol and elevated bad.