Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charlie125

Acne After Stopping the Pill

I almost feel bad saying "I'm glad I'm not alone," as I wouldn't wish any type of acne on anyone as the emotional scars can be deeper than the physical ones.

But it is a relief to know that I can now pinpoint the cause to my current flare-up with acne since stopping the pill (Yasmin).

I had minor/moderate acne while on the pill, but it was localized to my jawline. This acne consisted of medium to large cysts and nodules that would take weeks to heal and would always leave behind discolored skin and scar tissue. Often I'd have to go into my doctors office to have Cortisone injected into them so they would go down. Even the day before my wedding!

I quit taking the pill in late December because my husband and I were talking about starting a family and I heard it could take a while for your body to get back into it's usual rhythm. Almost immediately my face broke out worse than before in it's usual spots. As the following months progressed, the acne spread to my forehead and cheeks. Most surprisingly, my whole back and chest broke out as well. My once dry and flaky face has now become one big oil slick.

Now I haven't had any of the huge cysts I'd had before, but my acne transformed into almost a rash-like breakout. A lot of it is discoloration of the skin, almost like a sunburn. Even in places where I'm not breaking out. Very strange.

I've gone through the spectrum of emotions since dealing with my acne. Some days I don't feel confident enough to leave the house. Some days I feel my make-up does an OK job at covering my flare up. Some days I wake-up extra early to put on my foundation so my husband doesn't see how bad it's gotten. He constantly tells me that he doesn't even notice it. He always tells me that I'm beautiful. But it's hard to feel that way looking the way that I do. It is especially hard to become intimate with the intentions of starting a family when you don't want your significant other to see your broken out back and chest. I've almost given up and thought about starting the pill again. But what would that do to prevent this from happening again? Absolutely nothing.

Over the years, I've tried everything not even to cure, but just to maintain my acne. I've tried all the usual over-the-counter suspects such as ProActive, TriClear, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Mary Kay etc. with no luck. I've tried many prescribed medicines such as Differin, Clindamycin gel, Tetracycline, Retin-A, etc. with no luck. I've even wasted thousands of dollars on the high end skin care lines such as IS Clinical, Mario Badescu, SkinCeuticals, Phytoceane, MD Forte, etc. And NOTHING works.

I'm not looking for some miracle cure that will vanish my acne forever. Yes, it would be nice, but I accept that it isn't realistic.

The products that I'm using now are the best I've found for the time being. They don't make my acne any worse, which is a good thing. But they don't completely cure it either.

I use ONLY oil-free and hypoallergenic products in both my make-up and my skin care products.

I've been using the following every morning:

Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser

Aveeno Clear Complexion Moisturizer with SPF 15

Maybelline Superstay Silky Foundation

Maybelline Mineral Powder Natural Perfecting Concealer

I've been using the following every night:

Pond's Clean Sweep Moist Wipes to remove make-up

Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser

Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer

Having a sensitive face, Aveeno seems to be the only product I've found so far that doesn't irritate it further. Even after all the products I've used...the over-the-counter, the prescribed, the cheap, the expensive...I'll only use Aveeno for now.

I'm so glad I found this message board. It's been bittersweet to read everyone's stories. Sad that other's are having the same problem I am, but glad that I'm not alone.

Hope everyone has a good day today. Take care!

-Charlie

I'm no expert but many people have said they are looking at their diet. It may be in the food you are eating. I'm 58 and gave up all dairy. That may be an option for you. Many on this site have started there and report improvement. I've battled acne for most of my life so I can definitely understand what you are going through. It's not fun, but at least it's not life threatening. I've started taking zinc, but that may not be an option for everyone. In my case, I think there's improvement, but others do not. Sounds like you've searched the different message boards, and that's been helpful for most. I read some time ago that the human body's chemistry changes approximately every 7 years. It's no wonder that what may have worked at a point in time, no longer works later. If you have time you may want to keep a diary to help you formulate what works and what doesn't. Maybe things like what stresses may be going on in your life, foods eaten, topicals used. I have always heard good things about Aveeno products, but have not tried them myself. Such an exciting time for you with starting a family! Relax, give it some time. I'm sure you will find something that works for your skin. I do know stress is not good for anyone's skin! :angel: