Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was reading that you should only wash your face a maximum of twice per day, and also that makeup is bad for the skin. However, I usually only have to wear makeup in the morning and want to take it off in the afternoon.

Since I always wash my face in the a.m and p.m. should I just leave my makeup on all day? Or should I just rinse my face off at night since I washed the makeup off in the afternoon?

I'm thinking that it's worse to leave makeup on longer than necessary than washing 3x a day, but I wanted to get others thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Jen (newbie)

No, I think washing your face three times a day is worse. I wear my make up from 1:30 in the afternoon until 11 at night. As long as you wash your make up off before you go to bed, its fine

Using cleanser on your skin three times a day is just way too much. Once should be plenty ... twice at max.

You don't really need cleanser in the AM .... just splash your face thoroughly with water and pat it dry.

And if you are using cleanser in the afternoon, do you really need it again at bedtime? Again, I think just a thorough rinse would do.

No one ever cured their acne by washing their face three times a day. All you are doing is damaging your skin's natural protective barrier. Wash when you really need it -- to get rid of makeup, sweat, or accumulated dirt at the end of the day -- and otherwise leave the cleanser on the shelf.

I have been wondering the same thing. I usually splash my face with water in the morning, then when I want to take my make-up off in the afternoon use gently use a make-up remover for sensitive skin on a cotton pad, then I cleanse on a night before bed. This seems ok for me.

maybe try removing it with jojoba oil and then just washing it off with water. I would just stay away from cleansers because cleaning with cleansers 3 times a day would definitely strip your face and dry it out even more.

I wear mineral make up so I have no problem with wearing it all day until I go to bed.

Using cleanser on your skin three times a day is just way too much. Once should be plenty ... twice at max.

You don't really need cleanser in the AM .... just splash your face thoroughly with water and pat it dry.

And if you are using cleanser in the afternoon, do you really need it again at bedtime? Again, I think just a thorough rinse would do.

No one ever cured their acne by washing their face three times a day. All you are doing is damaging your skin's natural protective barrier. Wash when you really need it -- to get rid of makeup, sweat, or accumulated dirt at the end of the day -- and otherwise leave the cleanser on the shelf.

I heard you could just rinse your skin in the am as opposed to using cleanser, but I figured if I use Differin at night that it needs to be washed off in the morning before using Finacea. What do you think?

I figure that by morning, the Differin gel is almost entirely absorbed .... all you need to do is rinse off the residue to prep your skin for Finacea.

And since both those products can cause dryness, the more you can leave your skin alone, the better. Overwashing damages the skin's natural barrier function, resulting in trans-epidermal water loss and skin dehydration. Dehydrated skin doesn't heal as well and is more prone to comedone formation. It's a vicious cycle.

I figure that by morning, the Differin gel is almost entirely absorbed .... all you need to do is rinse off the residue to prep your skin for Finacea.

And since both those products can cause dryness, the more you can leave your skin alone, the better. Overwashing damages the skin's natural barrier function, resulting in trans-epidermal water loss and skin dehydration. Dehydrated skin doesn't heal as well and is more prone to comedone formation. It's a vicious cycle.

Sounds good! I can save $ on cleanser too this way which is always good. Thanks!