Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happyendings

Oh la la, an accutane log!

Hmm, filling out the description has made me think that maybe I'm taking too high a dose. Or that maybe I need to lose weight :think: Heh, anyhow!

Days 1-9

So today, I will take my ninth accutane pill. Honestly, I don't know if my skin has gotten better, worse, or stayed the same since I started. I feel like it has pretty much stayed the same because I still have quite a few pimples. I'm a bit worried that this is actually from a super-expensive moisturizer that my dermatologist sold me. I have never had many blackheads on my nose and after using this moisturizer, there are quite a few. Maybe this is being caused by the accutane though, I'm not sure... The moisturizer's really nice though, I haven't noticed any significant drying out of my skin, other than on my lips. I've just been using a ton of blistex on them whenever they feel the slightest bit dry. Honestly, my skin condition isn't very severely bad, so I'm worried that this will cause me to not see very significant results with accutane. I hope that this isn't so, because I'd love to have perfectly clear skin.

Like I said, the first week was pretty much uneventful. There was a little mini scare though, but its kind of icky. Only read on if you're really interested in the gory little details. So pretty much, on my eighth day, I went to the washroom in the morning and it hurt like HELL when I... did number 2? (hey, I gave you fair warning that it was going to get icky!) Anyhow, after wiping, I noticed some blood on the tissue. Later on in the day, I went again, and it hurt even worse, along with more blood. This totally freaked me out and of course, I called my boyfriend right away to tell him about it (because thats super attractive, you know? I kind of fail) Anyhow, he got really mad at me because he generally disapproves of me taking pills or such. He told me to get off of them immediately. So, I skipped monday's pill, but I decided to do some research of my own. When I got home and googled my issue, I saw that many others had experienced this as well and that the explanation was rather simple. My pain didn't stem from my abdomen or whatnot, so it was nothing inside my body. As we know, accutane causes skin to become very dry, and when skin is dry, it cracks. Thats what happened to me. I don't think that I really need to go anymore in depth!

Anyhow, I bought some vaseline so that I can have an intensive moisturizer (if it can be used on a baby's bum, it can be used on mine!) as well as some metamucil (I read that it would help with the pain) and I figured that I might as well pick up some omega-3 pills as well. I actually saw an interesting pack of omega-3s which were labelled as "positive mood balance enhancers" or something of the sort. I was intrigued, but I haven't been feeling any unusual mood swings or such so I decided to just stick with the plain ones for now. I'm not sure how many I should be taking a day, but the bottle says 1-3 pills. I guess I'll start with two and see how it goes from there!

Also, I was a bit worried because my boyfriend and I recently picked up rock climbing and I'm scared that I won't be able to do it as I progress in my treatment due to joint pain or weakness or whatnot. I guess that only time will tell! I'm not sure about my diet either, I try to eat healthy, but I'm scared that I'm doing something wrong or eating the wrong foods. I'm just a bit lost in general. All in all though, I'm super excited to start seeing results from accutane. I just finished my first week, so I guess its still too early to see anything now, but I have high hopes for the future!

Just a quick note to myself - I've got a dermatologist appointment at 1:25PM on April the 20th, and I've got to get my blood drawn a week before that.

About your icky experience: it happened to me a few times at the beginning...and then it went away! It is fairly common from what I hear. Nothing to worry about. And yeah, my doc said to put vaseline in case it did hurt...had to once. Now it's all good, and I'm 4 months away now.

Good luck to you, take care of your skin, you'll start seeing the results in a few weeks!!

Thanks a lot, its great to know that I'm not alone in my experiences. Heh, I'm so glad that I found you guys =)

Good luck with your progress as well, its great that you'll be finishing (relatively) soon. All the best!

wish u luck with your pills,i am on isosupra ( like roaccutane ) and started having dry lips, and somehow a dry skin.. so we are in the same path now? :) let us know your progress

Yup, we're in the same boat =) Just make sure that you moisturize so that your skin doesn't crack because it heals so much slower when you're on that type of medication. I hope to follow your progress as well!

hello

hope you're progressing well.. yes, i moisturize well, and using tons of lipbalm.. i have something strange today, my noise bleeds a little bit.. do you know anything about it or did you hear about anyone faced this ?

I'm pretty sure that its normal to have nosebleeds because of the dryness that you experience while on accutane. I've heard that its a common side effect and I've read about several people experiencing this. However, if it is worrying you, I would suggesting talking to your dermatologist. That said, if its just a little blood, I'm sure that its nothing to stress out about. Let me know how it goes! All the best =)

something strange happens too, i have runny nose,.... runny nose and some bleeding! as long as i am using tissues from the morning, all my nose and under is dry, it's the worst.. and it hurts a lot..

i'l tell you what will happen with me, because it surprises me, it should be dry as you said, not runny nose!

Day 10 - 11:39am

My boyfriend stayed over last night, so I'm not too well rested. I woke up this morning with puffy eyes, dark circles, and a less than perfect complexion. Other than that though, I think that I might be experiencing my first accutane-induced purging of dirt from under my skin. I have two tiny little whiteheads on the right side of my lips, and I hardly ever get these. I'm hoping that this means that my skin is cleansing itself from deep down. Other than that, I've really had no changes in anything. I think that my log is quite boring, to be honest!

I really wanted to do a cleanse and go on a liquid diet for a little while, because I feel like if this accutane is cleansing my skin, I should be doing my part to cleanse the rest of my body. I was told however that the medicine needs fat to work so if I go on a diet that contains no fat, the accutane will not work. So I've decided to do a cleanse when I get off of accutane, it will be good to get those toxins out of my system anyways.

So yup, no exciting news at the moment, just my two tiny whiteheads. We'll see what happens next!

To zephire: Hmm, a runny nose.. maybe you've caught a cold? It makes sense though that it would hurt underneath your nose if you're wiping it a lot and your skin is already pretty sensitive due to the drugs, I bet that this is irritating it even more. Either way, I hope that you figure this out soon! Let me know what happens =)

8:15pm

Sigh, I'm pretty exhausted. I just got home from a long day and my face feels super gross. I used this sunblock thats super expensive and supposedly super good that my dermatologist sold me, but it made my face feel itchy and disgusting. I also think that it made me break out. I'm so done with these products my derm gave me, they're absolutely awful. So yeah, my face feels pretty bad. There are quite a few pimples, but honestly, this is no different than the usual. I just feel tired in general.

Day 11 - 12:24 PM

Nothing new at all. One little pimple above my lips on the right side feels super tight and itchy. I didn't have time to wash my face this morning, but I feel like maybe thats good for it. I didn't irritate it or whatnot and although it feels gross, I think thats mostly psychological. I didn't look at my face too closely this morning, but I don't think that its very bad. Oh my gosh though, its SO hard not to pick at my face! I really have to put a huge effort in to just keep my hands away. Also, I wanted to avoid wearing makeup as much as possible, but I might be going out this weekend and I want to get dressed up. Not cool.

Eep, so I did something bad today. I went to get some food after class and I got a whole wheat bagel with tomatoes and cream cheese, which isn't that bad (other than the cream cheese.) But then, I saw this MASSIVE brownie and I just grabbed it. It looked so good. And then I ate it. I'm sure that this will wreak havoc on my skin and make me feel fat all day. Why do I fail? Oh well, it'll just motivate me to only eat super healthy stuff for the rest of the day. Speaking of which, I have to take my omega-3 pills, which I forgot to take this morning.

Anyhow, yeah, I just need to work on getting more sleep and then I'm good to go. For now. And also, it would help to stress out less, which is easier said than done. I stress out a lot and while I know that it might be foolish to attribute my breakouts to this, I really feel that the anxiety has a negative effect on my skin. I'll just chill out and be happy and all will be good!

Day 12 - 9:56 AM

My nose bled a little bit this morning and it feels kind of dry. I put on makeup last night and I got home pretty late, so I was really tired. I didn't wash my face and I just went to sleep and now I feel ick. Also, the bumps that were just red on my face now have little whiteheads. How nice. Oh well, anyhow, I can't write too much this morning seeing as I'm a bit pressed for time but really, nothing new has happened. We'll see, maybe soon I'll start noticing some changes. Be back later!

9:50 PM

I've kind of been having headaches all day today. My nose bled a tiny bit more a couple of hours ago, but it wasn't bad and I feel that its mostly because of dryness/a lack of sleep. I think that I need to seriously start sleeping more and that will help a lot with the headaches and whatnot. I'm leaving for the Bahamas on Thursday morning, so hopefully that'll give me a chance to kick back and relax (and stay out of the sun, unfortunately =P). Anyhow, other than the slight headachyness, I'm really not feeling too bad. I don't want to jynx anything, but lets just hope that all is going well.

Also, I need to get a face lotion and sun screen of some sort, so if anybody has any suggestions, that would be super awesome!

In other news, my skin isn't that great. My complexion hasn't gotten much better, but I am happy about something. I'm supposed to get my period soon and I normally get huge breakouts right around this time, but so far, I haven't seen any signs of this. We'll see, maybe it will come, but I'm hoping not. Also, my skin has been super itchy lately. Especially where I have pimples, its so hard not itching away. My head is pretty itchy too, but it has been that way from before I started accutane. I think that my old shampoo irritated it and it hasn't recovered since. We'll see how that goes!

Anyways, thats all for now. More updates later on!

Hey, whatsup happyendings! So far from what i've read it looks like your off to a good start, and Accutane will be a success story for you! Im just wishing you a little luck, im actually on my second day of Claravis, so we kind of are close

Goodluck! :]

Hey, thanks a lot for the wishes of luck and for commenting on my log =) Ooh, we are pretty close, aren't we? I'll make sure to keep track of your progress as well, hopefully all goes perfectly for the both of us! -knock on wood-

Hey Happy,

I am about on the same time line as you for my accutane cycle. As of today I am on day 19. I have a lot of the same side effects as you. If you are looking for a good lotion for your face I would suggest Doves Deep Moisture facial lotion. Its a sunscreen as well (SPF 15) and it says it doesnt clog pores. Ive been using it even before I started accutane and its been working very well. Also, if your lips are overly chapped try to find Aquaphor Healing ointment. I play sports and having a mouth guard in for hours at a time really kill my lips. I put that stuff on at night and the next morning my lips are fine.

And Zeph, its weird that you have a runny nose, the inside of my nose is very dry, I cant even imagine having a runny nose at this point. I guess its jsut the medication effecting people in different ways. Good luck to all of you!

Thanks a lot for the advice! I really appreciate it, I'll definitely look into those products asap. I'm going to have a word with my derm about the crap that she sold me, too, I'm so unhappy with it! I've heard a lot of people mention Aquaphor as well, so I'm quite interested in it.

Haven't really had time to post a log today, maybe I will later on =/