Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, its actually happening. I havent posted on here for a while. But I've been enjoying the success of dianette.

A quick word on my dianette experience. It took 9 months to clear me to a level where I only had the occasional monthly spot. So for those of you ladies that have just started taking it, or have been taking it for 4 months and are fed up with your skin becoming increasingly spotty, please hang in there. I know how you feel. I was at the point of going onto accutane because I felt dianette just wasn't working for me, then around month 9 I noticed new spots we're becoming less and less.

So I can honestly say I'm glad I went onto dianette. I've never been clear to the point where I've never had another spot, I think my acne is due to a number of factors(stress, diet and hormones)but I have been clear of anything I would call serious acne. And compared to the cysts and size of acne I was experiencing before, now it is just blocked pores and some whiteheads. So I do love dianette. And I will be sad in a way to come off it lol. It has been a long and ever changing journey.

But as with all things related to acne, it's very hard to say for sure what components of your life are helping your skin. In the last year I have really been taking care of myself. I became vegan at 15. After being vegetarian since age 6. But I dont' think I had enough information to keep myself healthy on such a restrictive diet. I didn't suppliment. I ate crap and generally took poor care of myself. I think all these things we're present in my skin condition. I would have been lacking in very basic nutrients that my body needs to be healthy and happy and my skin was trying to tell me this. Now I am 21. I have a healthy balanced diet, good mix of protein,carbs, fibre. I cut out wheat, gluten and all additives, even yeast. I drink 2-3 litres of water, cranberry juice and herbal teas everyday. I suppliment HEAVILY(which I believe is the best way to good overall health, along with exercise).

I now take:

*A good vegan multivitamin, usually twice a day(morning and after dinner). As adviced its usually once a day but in tablet form your body wouldnt absorb all the nutrients in there 'recommended daily allowances'. Therefore, I choose to take mine twice daily to get a decent amount of vitamins. I have not experienced any side effects from this. But I would advice other people to consult a doctor before doing the same. My diet is very restrictive therefore I do not get a LARGE amount of vitamin A and Iron from it. These vitamins can be damaging if someone was to overdose.

*Magnesium

*Evening Primrose oil(I have been on this for centuries)

*Echinechea(on/off as you will become immune to its defences if you stay on it forever, just go on it for 2 weeks at a time. I really really swear by this if you suffer from chronic colds. Its completely natural and protects your immune system greatly.)

*Selenium(again immune boosting properties)

*And ofcourse the old dianette.

I also exercise for at least 20 minutes a day. As I believe excess adrenaline in my body will reside as toxins and cause my skin to flare up. It's a great stress reliever. And it helps every system in your body. It has helped my skin inarguably. Also my overall well being.

So why am I posting? Well I've just been to see my doctor who has told me I am to come off dianette now and try yasmin as I've been on it for long enough and my skin has cleared.

Ofcourse I was dubious, and I read far too much on the internet which scared the shit out of me when I read stories of people who had come off dianette.

So, armed with a sheet full of questions. I went back to the doctor to discuss what I should do.

I asked her:

How serious are the risks on dianette long term?

What will happen to my body when I change pills?

I believe I may have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Can I be tested for this before I come off dianette, as I have heard it can actually be used to treat the symptoms of this, and would therefore not like the 'symptoms'(acne)to return.

If I switch to Yasmin will I be forced to come off it after a certain time period?

Is Yasmin as effective at clearing as dianette(I then proceeded to list the ingrediants of dianette in comparison to dianette, oh yes, I'm thorough)

Is Yasmin the most effective anti androgen contraceptive available except for dianette?

I felt a bit sorry for her really. I talk pretty fast and can seem skittish and twitchy at the best of times. But I think she was sympathetic to my concerns.

And we came to the same conclusion.

The tests for polycystic ovary syndrome have to be carried out(apparently)when you are not on the pill to be able to register all the symptoms that dianette may be masking. Coming off any BCP completely is not something I want to do, as I believe the hormones are helping my cycle as well as my skin. She reasoned that until I was planning to conceive, or became unhealthily obese(PCOS is a metabolic condition that can lead to diabetes, strokes or heart problems, especially if you are overweight)then it wasnt something I needed to worry about. And by switching to yasmin I was still giving myself the best chance at treating the symptoms, but without the more serious health risks of dianette usage long term.

Also I realised that sooner or later I am going to HAVE to change from this bcp. And I think I will doing my body great favours by doing this now rather than ten years down the line. When by then I could have more serious fertility problems or other side effects caused by long term use of dianette.

I might not even have PCOS, but the chances are high.

I believe now yasmin is my next best option to dianette. And I have been told that if successful on this I can stay on it til menapause if I didnt want to concieve. Which is extremely reassurring having worried about being taken off dianette all the time. Its always been in the back of my head. So I'm going to give this a good go. My doc also said that if yasmin is shit for me I can try other pills. But I am optimistic. I have 6 months off uni this summer so I am going to do this now.

I hope this post helps someone, if anyone wants more information or wants to ask any questions please feel free to personal message me.

I have had acne since age 11.

Tried antibiotics, topicals and then Dianette.

Also tried every over the counter cream you can buy(clearisil, clinique, clarins, clean and clear,neutragena,)

Am currently using Retinol Cream, which is a natural form of vitamin A.

This has been amazing for my skin.

Also Mario Badescu face masks(drying mask, cucumber tonic mask)

I wash with dove soap.

Hi!

I'm into the 5th month of diane and it hasnt cleared me up yet! Im also considering accutane now- did you take it eventually?

At what age did you start taking the Dianette?

I'm very impressed by the fact that you're a veggie since your 6th year of life! I'm a vegetarian too and now I'm reconsidering being vegan!:)

Last year I dropped the bc pill - as a result of this I experienced total absence of my period + worst acne ever (cystic + painful, but also comedonal: clogged pores, blackheads) - not only my face was affected but also my chest/back

it took me about 8-9 months to see a gyn (I tried gentle herbals to stimmulate my cycle, all in vain) who diagnosed PCOS

Hi!

I'm into the 5th month of diane and it hasnt cleared me up yet! Im also considering accutane now- did you take it eventually?

At what age did you start taking the Dianette?

I'm very impressed by the fact that you're a veggie since your 6th year of life! I'm a vegetarian too and now I'm reconsidering being vegan!:)

Last year I dropped the bc pill - as a result of this I experienced total absence of my period + worst acne ever (cystic + painful, but also comedonal: clogged pores, blackheads) - not only my face was affected but also my chest/back

it took me about 8-9 months to see a gyn (I tried gentle herbals to stimmulate my cycle, all in vain) who diagnosed PCOS

Hi Annsui(love the name by the way, I love perfume :dance: )

I never took accutane, I went to the appointment for it, but I'd had to wait a long time to get to see a doctor for it and by that time the dianette had cleared me up.

It took me 9 months(the time it takes to have a baby!) to work for me. So please don't feel disappointed, I know how frustrating it is, BELIEVE ME, I was so depressed and thought it would never work for me, but it did.

I started taking it when I was 18 and have only just stopped it after 3 years, I've just turned 21 now. I can say that I was never clear 100 % of the time on dianette, but when I did get spots it was very minimal and they cleared within a day or two, nothing in comparison to before I was on dianette. I was very happy with it. And everyone is different so I hope you can hang in there and I'm sure you'll start to see results.

Wow, it sounds like you have a very similiar acne experience to me. I had it everywhere pretty much, face, back, chest, legs even=/

I too believe I have PCOS. The docs said I would have to come off BCP to be tested for it. Is that when you we're tested? I'm so sorry to hear about your problems coming off it.

Which one we're you on to begin with?

They actually use dianette to treat symptoms of PCOS, if you didn't know. But I guess maybe you we're prescribed it for this reason?

I think thats why it helped me so much, because I was having weird, unpredictable and painful period from when I first got my period. And antibiotics had only kept my skin clear for so long, because I believe they we're masking the real hormonal problems.

So are you taking anything else for your PCOS?

What is your real name by the way?I was tempted to call you anna then lol.

As a vegetarian what is your diet like currently?

I've found diet to be extremely important in keeping my skin happy too. I'm such an awkward eater lol. Not only am I vegan, I cut out wheat, gluten, yeast, caffiene and any artificial additives. I think these had a great affect on my skin and overall well being.

I would love to talk to you more if you wanted to chat about becoming vegan. I made such a mess of it when I first started the diet because I didnt know enough about what the body needs. I didnt even take suppliments!

I would definitely advise you to research research research into some good suppliments.

Now I'm a very happy vegan and my body gets everything it needs. Hope to hear from you soon! x

Hey, I had similar results with Dianne, except it only took me about 7 months and I very rarely have any spots now, as opposed to severe acne I had previously. I was just wondering what exactly the risks are with long term use of Dianne. I've been on it for about 3 years and don't have any plans of coming off it yet and so am curious about the serious side effects.

But I support your experience with Dianne, and encourage everyone to at least try it for 9 months before giving up. Unlike trueloveisreal, I haven't altered my diet or any other lifestyle factor at all, I've actually become worse wearing my hair down and constantly touching my face, so Dianne for me solved my skin problem for sure.

I'm very happy you've had such success Bex=) Yes I totally agree, everyone is different and other factors may not affect your skin at all. It's just trial and error really isn't it.

Apparently the 'side effects' are not that much more serious than regular pills, but the strength of the hormones in dianette could cause problems on a more longterm basis. Thats why doctors are reluctant to prescribe it, as theres no research to say whether it actually is harmful longterm or not. My doctor told me she knew of women who had been on it for 10 years, but apparently now doctors have been told to take women off it because of the uncertain risks of longterm use.

I never experienced any side effects and would testify that dianette really helped me. And I think before they give this drug to young girls(most people are prescribed it at any earlier age) they should tell them about their future options because I didnt know anything about what would happen later on down the line. Also I think it would be great if doctors talked to young girls about PCOS, if that is what a lot of women are now being diagnosed with when coming off dianette. Before they are given any form of BCP for acne, I believe this would help so many young women to understand their bodies better if they knew they had this condition early on.

Don't be worried by the 'scare stories' if you are ever asked to come off dianette. I'm now taking yasmin. Which is also prescribed for woman with PCOS. It also contains a milder anti androgen than dianette. I'm only 4 days into this now so I'l have to update later on. But I feel better about switching to yasmin, because I've been told I can stay on this long term, as its classed as 'an everyday combined contraceptive'. So I'd ask about yasmine if you ever wanted to change. As I think if your acne's hormonal this might be the best option. But again everyones different.

Hi! :)

About a month ago I have seen my derm to ask him for accutane - however he didnt want to prescribe it to me and instead of oral ISO I got a gel (Isotrexin) which I applied for exactly 4 weeks. Comparing my skin now and 'then', my skin definitely got worser again - I have 2 new big cystic/painful spots on my check and also few small spots which are just aborning + lots of clogged pores/blackheads.

this gel is very harsh due to the high amount of alcohol (tears came into my eye everytime I smelled it) in it and left my skin with moderate irritations.

But what really botheres me about it is that it contains antibiotics.

I have to add now that I have been on topical/oral antibiotics + a bc pill for more than 2 years - this combination kept me quite clear (here and there a small spot on my face, a few blckheads) - but then in nov/dec07 it stopped working for me --> more and more spots/ sharp rise in blackheads/clogged pores but only on my face

- looking back I believe that I have developped a resistance or the bc pill I was on was too weak for me. Sorry I just dont remember its name but I know for sure that it was an ordinary bc pill - not one to treat PCOS!

Once more I was prescribed an oral antibiotic + numerous topicals such as Skinoren. I have also tried homeopathics, teas, zinc, vitamines + diet (no sweets, alc) - all in vain.

Then (march or april08) I dropped the bc pill (my act of defiance) - I wanted my body clear itself - no "poisoning" anymore

--> total absence of period (from the very beginning on)

--> after 3-4 my I experienced the worst acne I have ever had (chest, back, face)

Nov08: I tried the NLite V3 Laser treatment (you might know it as you live in the UK) - no improvement

Dec08 (8-9 months later!!!): appointment with my gyn as the absence of my cycle really started to concern me --> PCOS diagnosis + prescription of Diane

So to answer your question, yes I was tested when I was off the bc pill (apparently).

I knew they use the Diane to treat PCOS - I dont take anyhing else to treat PCOS.

My diets like this: I avoid sweets, convenience food, fat, alcohol + I started to replace milk with soy milk - but I still eat cheese and eggs. I try to eat as less artificial additives as possible which is why I'm basically into fresh food + eco

I would love to get some advice on dietary supplement:) - but there's no hurry as I think want to get my skin under control first!

LOL everyone tells me that I'm an awkward eater too! it's embarrassing sometimes^^

Hi! :)

About a month ago I have seen my derm to ask him for accutane - however he didnt want to prescribe it to me and instead of oral ISO I got a gel (Isotrexin) which I applied for exactly 4 weeks. Comparing my skin now and 'then', my skin definitely got worser again - I have 2 new big cystic/painful spots on my check and also few small spots which are just aborning + lots of clogged pores/blackheads.

this gel is very harsh due to the high amount of alcohol (tears came into my eye everytime I smelled it) in it and left my skin with moderate irritations.

But what really botheres me about it is that it contains antibiotics.

I have to add now that I have been on topical/oral antibiotics + a bc pill for more than 2 years - this combination kept me quite clear (here and there a small spot on my face, a few blckheads) - but then in nov/dec07 it stopped working for me --> more and more spots/ sharp rise in blackheads/clogged pores but only on my face

- looking back I believe that I have developped a resistance or the bc pill I was on was too weak for me. Sorry I just dont remember its name but I know for sure that it was an ordinary bc pill - not one to treat PCOS!

Once more I was prescribed an oral antibiotic + numerous topicals such as Skinoren. I have also tried homeopathics, teas, zinc, vitamines + diet (no sweets, alc) - all in vain.

Then (march or april08) I dropped the bc pill (my act of defiance) - I wanted my body clear itself - no "poisoning" anymore

--> total absence of period (from the very beginning on)

--> after 3-4 my I experienced the worst acne I have ever had (chest, back, face)

Nov08: I tried the NLite V3 Laser treatment (you might know it as you live in the UK) - no improvement

Dec08 (8-9 months later!!!): appointment with my gyn as the absence of my cycle really started to concern me --> PCOS diagnosis + prescription of Diane

So to answer your question, yes I was tested when I was off the bc pill (apparently).

I knew they use the Diane to treat PCOS - I dont take anyhing else to treat PCOS.

My diets like this: I avoid sweets, convenience food, fat, alcohol + I started to replace milk with soy milk - but I still eat cheese and eggs. I try to eat as less artificial additives as possible which is why I'm basically into fresh food + eco

I would love to get some advice on dietary supplement:) - but there's no hurry as I think want to get my skin under control first!

LOL everyone tells me that I'm an awkward eater too! it's embarrassing sometimes^^

Yes I can't eat out anywhere lol. Have you been to wagamamas? I here its a really good place for vegetarians and vegans, think they have a lot of chinese and oriental dishes. It sounds like you have a healthy diet, do you eat fish? Because I don't eat fish, eggs or dairy I have to make sure I get a good dose of protein from soya, tofu, nuts and pulses(like chickpeas, butter beans)

Feel free to message me if you want to chat more nearer the time if you decide you do want to become vegan.

This is just my personal experience, but when I cut out dairy(eggs, milk and cheese)my skin improved. I think it's because dairy can have a hormonal effect on some people, but everyone is different and this might not be somethng for you to change, but I just wanted to mention it. Also, I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is why I cut out wheat and gluten. My skin has improved greatly from this. Just somethng to think about, maybe try and look at your own eating patterns in correlation with how your skin is feeling?

I think diane will help you a lot especially if you have PCOS, and I would say it helped me a lot with similiar symptoms(regulating periods etc).

Hope you are doing better =D x

No, I have never been to Wagamamas! I dont think we have it here! But as they offer oriental dishes - did you notice that hot foods worsen your skin or at least let you blush very easily? Because many people experience that (including me)!

I dont eat fish! :)

How did you notice you have IBS? Wasnt it hard to find out what exactly causes it in your specific case?

Dont you want to gain certainty about PCOS?

Heres some information about it - I think its VERY helpful!

http://www.posaa.asn.au/files/PCOS%20Guide.pdf

Thanks for the guide Kat :D

my IBS was really clear cut I think, which was helpful. When I ate wheat, I bloated and my skin wasnt good. Then when I cut it out I stopped bloating and my skin was better. I guess its just trial and error really.

Everyones different :thumbsup: