Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moonface

A oil-based Salicylic solution instead of an alcohol-based

Salicylic acid can be solved in alcohol and in oily substances....so why are all salicylic peels just basically alcohol and salicylic acid instead of solving the acid in oil? I know 10% salicylic acid added to vaseline has been reported as an effective wart treatment, so if we're using this on warts why are we putting aggressive alcohol solutions on our faces?

If one used a salicylic acid solution based on oil like Jojoba, emu oil or just ordinary vaseline, wouldn't that irritate and dry out the skin less then alcohol? Wouldn't the oil actually preserve more moisture in the skin and thus actually have a positive effect?

People use vaseline (petrolatum) on wounds because it helps the healing proces, so wouldn't those traits actually be ideal for a peel?

Triple Antibiotic ointments are often petrolatum based, so what if we would just add 2%-5% salicylic acid (depending on how much you can tolerate) to them and maintain a ph between 3-4, wouldn't that be a lot more effective?

If the skin would be less irritated, heal very fast and more moisture would be preserved.

Why doesn't this exist? Am I overlooking something? Is a an alcohol-based solution just a lot more effective at penetrating the skin? If so, we could just add more salicylic acid to oil-based solutions.

I've been using this the past 2 weeks: http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=14629&at=0

It's a multi-acid fruit juice and oil based treatment. It really seems to be working well with minimal irritation. Not even irritation really, just some mild peeling. No IB or anything else unpleasant either. Smoother, brighter, more even tone - maybe less clogged pores? Too soon to really tell there.

Salicylic acid can be solved in alcohol and in oily substances....so why are all salicylic peels just basically alcohol and salicylic acid instead of solving the acid in oil? I know 10% salicylic acid added to vaseline has been reported as an effective wart treatment, so if we're using this on warts why are we putting aggressive alcohol solutions on our faces?

If one used a salicylic acid solution based on oil like Jojoba, emu oil or just ordinary vaseline, wouldn't that irritate and dry out the skin less then alcohol? Wouldn't the oil actually preserve more moisture in the skin and thus actually have a positive effect?

People use vaseline (petrolatum) on wounds because it helps the healing proces, so wouldn't those traits actually be ideal for a peel?

Triple Antibiotic ointments are often petrolatum based, so what if we would just add 2%-5% salicylic acid (depending on how much you can tolerate) to them and maintain a ph between 3-4, wouldn't that be a lot more effective?

If the skin would be less irritated, heal very fast and more moisture would be preserved.

Why doesn't this exist? Am I overlooking something? Is a an alcohol-based solution just a lot more effective at penetrating the skin? If so, we could just add more salicylic acid to oil-based solutions.

Alcohol is used to penetrate the pores, as you surmised.

Vaseline wouldn't work because it DOESN'T penetrate the pores (this is why petrolatum is not comedogenic -- it simply sits on the surface).

Emu oil, now .... interesting idea! You should run that by Marky at Garden of Wisdom (www.gardenofwisdom.com)

Oh, that's right. Petrolatum doesn't enter pores, that's why it works as a wart treatment but not as a facial treatment. How come I didn't think of that. :P

Hmmm...I'm guessing alcohol is probably the most effective at entering pores than.

I'm a firm believed that drying and irritating effect of SA (in alcohol) is actually the reason the treatment doesn't work very well. I've noticed that when I apply vaseline 30 minutes after applying SA before going to bed, my skin looks better the next morning.

The stupid part is, there's a pretty good product out there with 5% salicylic acid, 5% glycolic acid in a alcohol + oil base.

It's called Vit A complex by MD formulations. It has alcohol in it, but it's quite gentle and it actually hydrates and plumps up my skin (probably the low AHA content in it).. It's the only product so far that minimizes my blackheads a little. The only problems with this product is that:

- It has a ph of 4, making the 5% salicylic acid actually not that powerfull. Probabably slightly better than 2% in a PH of 3.3. The AHA makes the salicylic acid a little more efficient than it would normally be, but the PH really lowers it again.

- It contains squalene and glycine soja which hydrates the skin, but also clogs pores reducing the efficiency once more. The product comes with a pump that clogs up because of it. The plugs I get out of the pump are practically identical to an extracted blackhead. I don't only think the squalene/glycine soja clogs pores, I also believe it works as a glue inside the pores. If salicylic acid loosens plugs, the squalene/glycine soja makes them stick again to the walls of the pores. (I do believe the new formula doesn't contain squalene, but still glycine soja and since I don't know which of both are actually responsible for clogging up my pores, I'm not taking any risks or spending another $35 or something).

If this product would have had another emollient than squalene (emu or jojoba oil) in it and they'd lower the PH a little bit, it I'm sure it would be extremely efficient for a male skin which is thicker and needs a higher % of Salicylic acid.. That's just too bad. It's like they almost made the perfect product, but didn't finish it.

So basically, what I'm saying is. The product doesn't have to be entirely oil based, it may contain alcohol if that greatly improves penetration. Having a little bit of AHA in it may be necessary to counter any drying effect of SA or alcohol.

I'm not an unattractive guy, but the clogged and scared pores really mess up my looks. If I don't find the perfect product, I'll make it myself.

I'm sick of spending money on products that could have been great, but aren't quite because some douchebag doesn't do his homework. It really isn't that difficult if you think about it.

As LQ suggests, emu oil would be an interesting idea. Jojoba oil as well. Both are carrier oils so would enhance penetration of the substance.

Yeah, I've had a bad experience with squalene. :sick: And Paula's Choice is the only SA product I've ever used that didn't irritate my skin.

Seriously, though, if you want to make your own product, check out Garden of Wisdom. That's what they're all about, and they've got all the ingredients. If you come up with a killer SA combo, let us know.

I'll check it out an report back later. I'm starting to believe skin care is just like buying a suit.

If you're an average joe, you can just buy one in any store and it'll fit pretty well, but if your a person who doesn't have standard body proportions wearing that suit will make you look like an idiot. However, if the same person buys a tailored suit he'll look amazing, probably even better than the average joe.

BTW, this is a little OT but PC 2% BHA didn't seem strong enough. However, I bought 3 bottles at once so maybe after a year the salicylic acid got less effective or maybe the product's PH went up.

I was just wondering. How about applying salicylic acid in an alcohol based solution and applying a drop of jojoba right after it. Would that drop of jojoba reduce the effectiveness of the salicylic acid in any way?

I don't know if there'd be any kind of chemical reaction that would alter either product's effectiveness OR if the jojoba oil would alter the pH of the salicylic product significantly.

Since Garden of Wisdom is all about making one's own products, they might have the answers to those questions.

I don't think pH would be affected ... but I wonder if the oil would buffer the effects of the acid on the skin cells. It might make it less irritating, but also less effective?

Too bad LabGirl isn't around any more .... this board could really use a cosmetic chemist.

Hmmm...Garden of Wisdom is a nice website to buy individual ingredients, but that seems to be all they're doing, if I get it right.

It would be terrific if you could select ingredients you'd like mix and it which quantities and they would tell you the current PH-value of your mixture so you could use an ph-adjuster to get it right.

Try e-mailing Marky if you have questions.

Diana Yvonne makes a 5% SA product, btw .... www.dianayvonne.com

Yeah, but that's just 5% salicylic acid and 95% alcohol. They didn't even bother adding water in to reduce the amount of alcohol. Plus, it's really expensive for what it is, especially if I have to pay loads for shipping too.

I'm meeting with my derm tomorrow. I'm not counting on much help (I'v been visiting derms with this problem for almost 8 years) but I'm hoping he knows a strong SA product or at least a formula the pharmacist can prepare for me.

Jezus, why is this all so difficult.

I found one! LOL

I'm considering trying it, maybe blending it with some jojoba oil. I can't find anything else oil based, although there's a million products based on pore-clogging glycerin!

I found one! LOL

I'm considering trying it, maybe blending it with some jojoba oil. I can't find anything else oil based, although there's a million products based on pore-clogging glycerin!

Edited by mahgver