Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
{DC}

Zileuton/Zyflo reduces sebum production

here is what i read -

Zileuton, an Oral 5-Lipoxygenase Inhibitor, Directly Reduces Sebum Production

Dermatology 2005;210:36-38

Background: Zileuton, a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor, reduces the number of inflammatory lesions in moderate acne and inhibits the synthesis of sebaceous lipids. Objective: To detect whether zileuton directly reduces sebum synthesis.

Methods: A 40-year-old female with mild disseminated sebaceous gland hyperplasia and seborrhea was treated with zileuton 4 x 600 mg/day over 2 weeks, was followed-up for 6 weeks after discontinuation of zileuton and was re-treated with low-dose isotretinoin 10 mg/2nd day over 5 weeks. Casual skin surface lipids and sebum synthesis were determined.

Results: Under treatment with zileuton increased casual skin surface lipids were normalized and synthesis of facial sebum was decreased. Six weeks after discontinuation of treatment casual skin surface lipids were increased again and synthesis of sebum returned to baseline. Subsequent low-dose isotretinoin treatment led to similar changes of casual skin surface lipids and sebum synthesis with zileuton already after 2 weeks.

Conclusion: Zileuton directly inhibits sebum synthesis in a transient manner with a potency similar to low-dose isotretinoin at least in our patient.

that's the Zouboulis study on the then Zileuton, now marketed as ZYFLO CR. It's an asthma drug, rather expensive and difficult to get prescribed off-label. Since there is a (legitimate) policy on this board regarding off-label use and commentary of prescription drugs, I will say no more. I don't have anything to say in private either, but I would love to hear from someone who does!