Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anybody know if being underweight seriously affects acne? I am wondering if putting on weight may clear up my skin

I am 20 years old, 5'9" and weigh 7st6 (106 pounds), my BMI is around 16

I eat pretty healthily, no meat or dairy, I occasionally eat fish.

I also take 100mg of zinc with a vitamin B complex and 2,000I.U of vitamin D daily.

Thanks

Getting more nutrients might. Also, body fat does affect hormones.

What do you mean when you say you eat healthy? Can you describe your diet?

I definitely think you need to put on some weight. A BMI of less than 17 is attributed to anorexics, and a BMI of 15 is officially emaciated. I'm not pointing any fingers and telling you that you're anorexic, but being so underweight can't be healthy.

(Also - I've noticed that a lot of seriously underweight people have bad skin. Either dry and flakey, or acne. That doesn't mean that's a fact though, just an observation)

I eat lots of vegetables, different types of beans, lentils, chick peas, porridge, soy milk and yoghurt and meat substitutes such as quorn.

I snack on a lot of fruit and nuts, I occasionally eat junk food like crisps.

I eat oily fish like salmon once a week.

I drink lots of green tea and water, I also drink alcohol a few times a week.

I probably could put on weight if I tried.

I dont think weight has anything to do with acne. I weigh 150 at 5'5 which is twenty pounds more than I should be and my acne is moderate.

I eat lots of vegetables, different types of beans, lentils, chick peas, porridge, soy milk and yoghurt and meat substitutes such as quorn.

I snack on a lot of fruit and nuts, I occasionally eat junk food like crisps.

I eat oily fish like salmon once a week.

I drink lots of green tea and water, I also drink alcohol a few times a week.

I probably could put on weight if I tried.

Soy is a common allergen. In addition, the plant estrogens cause some people problems. You might try avoiding it for a while.

And pour some olive oil on your veggies to add healthy calories. What is quorn? Is that a processed faux food?

Yes, it's a funghi protein based meat substitute.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try cutting out soya for a few weeks.

Yes, it's a funghi protein based meat substitute.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try cutting out soya for a few weeks.

You need carbs and protein.

Sweet potatoes , a lot of veggies , Quinoa ( easy to cook. 1 cup quinoa and 1 1/4 cup water at medium heat for 15 min ) , some nuts ,

I went 4.2k calories , 156 fat , 296 protein , 370-400g carbs

I've gained 5 lbs in 4 days...

From healthy food:D

i was underweight until about a year ago. my doc had me on a high-protein diet. lotsa burgers and peanut butter. but it wasn't working. after a couple of months he told my parents to always have a bag of fun-size candy bars handy and have me munch on a few a day. i thought he was a crackpot, but it worked now i'm back to how i normally eat and my weight hasn't dropped under what it should be. guess i just needed to get my body up to that point. hormonal problems were ruled out because i've been skinny my whole life, it's not like i ever fluctuated.

im like 180 cm and weigh about 58kg.

i used to be over weight. so i started this whole diet. and i still drink nothing but water.

now im like mutant skinny. as in not attractive skinny.

now i hafta diet again for my acne. so yeah. imagine a stick with an apple punctured on the end.

thats me about to eat.

im like 180 cm and weigh about 58kg.

i used to be over weight. so i started this whole diet. and i still drink nothing but water.

now im like mutant skinny. as in not attractive skinny.

now i hafta diet again for my acne. so yeah. imagine a stick with an apple punctured on the end.

thats me about to eat.

A diet full of nutrient dense real foods is not low calorie unless you make it so. Eat more calories.

Being underweight leads to dry, pale and flasky skin.

But empirically it doesn't lead to acne.

Just consider that the more fat you have in your body the more testosterone your body is producing.

Also adipocites, expecially in the tummy area, release imflammatory compounds and mess up with hormone regulation.

Post a pic of yourself.

You might be naturally lighter because of your bones width

You might be skinny but have a belly, in which case you need some body recomposition to improve lean body mass and put on some fat.

Generally if you have little fat it's not a problem, if you've flaccid muscles then that's why you're underweight and need to add muscular tone to your structure.

Just consider that the more fat you have in your body the more testosterone your body is producing.

I thought body fat leads to increased estrogen production, which acts antagonistically to testosterone.

I thought body fat leads to increased estrogen production, which acts antagonistically to testosterone.

Obesity is often linked to high testosterone on studies I have seen and also adipocites doubling leads to testosterone increase. It's usually poor insulin sensitivity to impair testosterone balance and high testosterone is as bad as low testosterone. The problem is still cherry picking (for example bodybuilding magazines) sources to prove that higher levels of testosterone have only postive effects. It's a rather complex issue, because the fatter you become the more muscular and stronger you become. That's why it's impossible to go beyond a certain muscle growth limit without also gaining lot of fat. If sumo wrestler could lose all the fat and mantain all their muscle, they would be way stronger and bigger than whatever bodybuilder. On a side note: aggressivity raises testosterone but high testosterone doesn't raise aggressivity, increased testosterone comes from adrenal surge. People with suboptimal testosterone tend to be more violent, aggressve and serious.

WTF!! I thought I was really skinny I'm 5'6 tall and weight 118 pounds, your suppose to weight at least above 120 for your age. I recommend you start drinking Whey Protein Shakes every day it can probably help you gain 30-50 pounds in a year.