Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fantastico

Closed Comedones Scarring

I have closed comedones all over my face, but if I try to push the gunk out with my fingers it leaves a tiny pinprick scar there. How do I get the stuff out without scarring my pores?

Just try to be gentle and not too forceful. Just apply enough pressure to get most of it out. If your skin starts turning really pink/red then stop and leave it for next time. Are your nails cut short? Squeeze with the soft part of your fingertips, don't use your nails. Not sure how much stuff comes out of your comedones, just try not to be too aggressive. Hope this helps!

I have closed comedones all over my face, but if I try to push the gunk out with my fingers it leaves a tiny pinprick scar there. How do I get the stuff out without scarring my pores?

You'd need to use a chemical exfoliant and maybe even gentle manual exfoliation. Those combined can help loosen the clogs in your pores and make extraction with a comedone extractor less scarring. Do NOT use fingers.

Don't try to extract closed comedones. The skin covering them prevents them from being extracted easily without scarring; some estheticians or derms lightly prick/lance the closed comedone prior to using an extractor. Don't do this yourself.

Manual exfoliation with a baby's hair brush is really helpful for me. It seems to remove the skin covering over closed comedones and they extract themselves over time and with use of a chemical exfoliant.

You'd need to use a chemical exfoliant and maybe even gentle manual exfoliation. Those combined can help loosen the clogs in your pores and make extraction with a comedone extractor less scarring. Do NOT use fingers.

Don't try to extract closed comedones. The skin covering them prevents them from being extracted easily without scarring; some estheticians or derms lightly prick/lance the closed comedone prior to using an extractor. Don't do this yourself.

Manual exfoliation with a baby's hair brush is really helpful for me. It seems to remove the skin covering over closed comedones and they extract themselves over time and with use of a chemical exfoliant.

I have yet to see any of the comedones go away on their own yet just from the use of products. Right now I am using differin prescribed by my derm. I used AHA before with no results for the closed comedones.

Nonetheless, don't extract with your fingers. Try the baby's hair brush.

Aha. Insufficient time to allow the Differin to work; three months is usually sufficient to let one know if it will work or not.

If you tried each of the other methods for less than a month or two (preferably more), then you did not give them enough time to work.

Read the following thread, particularly LabGirl's response about how retinoids work. It is very enlightening and helpful information. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html

Also check out LionQueen's post about clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps for further information on what can help comedonal acne. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Clearing-...in-t130593.html

Aha. Insufficient time to allow the Differin to work; three months is usually sufficient to let one know if it will work or not.

If you tried each of the other methods for less than a month or two (preferably more), then you did not give them enough time to work.

Read the following thread, particularly LabGirl's response about how retinoids work. It is very enlightening and helpful information.

Also check out LionQueen's post about clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps for further information on what can help comedonal acne.

Thank you! I loved that Labgirl thread. I've read LionQueen's thread, but I just can't afford those products right now. Plus, I'm already a little embarrassed at the number of skin products I own. It just seems a little girly.

I feel like I'm the only guy in this part of the forum. :o

I'm going to stick with differin and let you know if it works...

:) I hope the Differin works for you! If not, consider trying a stronger retinoid like tretinoin. So many people have good success with it. Differin is considered more gentle so it may end up working very nicely for you.

There's nothing girly about wanting to look good. Manly men want to look good, too. Look at Schwarzenegger: he had his teeth fixed and that wart or birthmark or whatever it was removed from his face. ;)