Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skiz

Is it safe to eat a sweet potato a day?

It has like 13,000 of IU in Beta carotene. Would this be too much vitamin A to consume every day?

i've read they're very good for you, just pay close attention to how your body reacts to it because it is starchy and has a high GI.

i've read they're very good for you, just pay close attention to how your body reacts to it because it is starchy and has a high GI.

Sweet potatoes are usually considered low to mid GI. White potatoes are usually considered high GI.

It has like 13,000 of IU in Beta carotene. Would this be too much vitamin A to consume every day?

Too much beta carotene can turn your skin orange and I've heard stories of this happening. You would probably have to be eating more than a sweet potato a day though.

No, I do fine from them. I love them for breakfast...slice one up into really thin slices, pepper it up, and put them in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. Sometimes i'll dip them in hummus. But lately i've been doing this like everyday....just wanted to make sure that i'm not getting too much Vit A from it. I react fine from them though...plus they are good in fiber, antioxidants, and are supposed to help maintain blood sugar.

My accupuncturist/TCM practitioner said that sweet potatoes will also alleviate symptoms of menopause, but are not good for women who have had problems with estrogen-related cancers. Otherwise, chow down. Try adding some cinnamon.

The Vit A, like someone said is in the form of beta-carotene, your body only turns it into vitamin A when needed, so if it doesn't need it, it just passes out as normal!

Its when you take un-natural Vit A or just pure Vit A that it causes problems (accutane, multi vits etc)

natural is A ok ;)

Sweet Potato for breakfast? That quite possibly sounds like the best thing I've ever heard! With Cinammon?! Jeewhizz!

I am definitely trying this the second I start living somewhere with a kitchen again.

Also - changing the subject slightly - I just popped a zit and the pus came out projectile like... it went two metres ahead before hitting the wall (I cleaned it, don't worry) but I reckon it could have gone a lot further. Amazing

Sweet Potato for breakfast? That quite possibly sounds like the best thing I've ever heard! With Cinammon?! Jeewhizz!

Definitely. A perfect breakfast food. A nutrient dense sweet carb to replace all the crappy sweet carb things we've been eating. With a sprinkle of cinnamon and butter if you use butter.

They are also great with olive oil and a sprinkling of spicy seasonings with cayenne pepper. Usually referred to as 'seasoned salt' or Cajun seasoning, or something like that. Like what they put on seasoned fries. Cayenne is good for you, the olive oil is good for you, tastes great. You can also sprinkle on some dried herbs like oregano or Italian seasoning blend.

Definitely. A perfect breakfast food. A nutrient dense sweet carb to replace all the crappy sweet carb things we've been eating. With a sprinkle of cinnamon and butter if you use butter.

They are also great with olive oil and a sprinkling of spicy seasonings with cayenne pepper. Usually referred to as 'seasoned salt' or Cajun seasoning, or something like that. Like what they put on seasoned fries. Cayenne is good for you, the olive oil is good for you, tastes great. You can also sprinkle on some dried herbs like oregano or Italian seasoning blend.

I love sweet potatoes... mmm :)

It is delicious that way. I love sweet potatoes.

I am definitely trying this the second I start living somewhere with a kitchen again.

Also - changing the subject slightly - I just popped a zit and the pus came out projectile like... it went two metres ahead before hitting the wall (I cleaned it, don't worry) but I reckon it could have gone a lot further. Amazing

That is too much information, gross

I love sweet potatoes too but I cannot stand yams! Anyone who says they are the same is wrong

I love sweet potatoes too but I cannot stand yams! Anyone who says they are the same is wrong

They aren't the same. But for some reason, they are always calling sweet potatoes yams, though. Yams are actually a gigantic tuber and are rarely sold here.

They aren't the same. But for some reason, they are always calling sweet potatoes yams, though. Yams are actually a gigantic tuber and are rarely sold here.

Good, theyre disgusting! Now, if places didnt sell fruitcake around Christmas time, thatd be even better lol

...I love sweet potatoes too but I cannot stand yams! Anyone who says they are the same is wrong

In certain regional areas of the US the names are used interchangeably.

take a sweet potato, stab it all over with a fork and stick in it a 400-425 degree oven for 45 min-1 hour. Cut it in half, squeeze it a up a little and cut in a small pat of butter. Throw a soft boiled or over easy egg on top (runny yolk). Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, maybe some fennel if your so inclined, and prepare to be amazed.

take a sweet potato, stab it all over with a fork and stick in it a 400-425 degree oven for 45 min-1 hour. Cut it in half, squeeze it a up a little and cut in a small pat of butter. Throw a soft boiled or over easy egg on top (runny yolk). Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, maybe some fennel if your so inclined, and prepare to be amazed.

Sounds like another thing that would be great with a sprinkling of spicy seasoned salt. And steaming is a lot faster and more energy efficient.

...I love sweet potatoes too but I cannot stand yams! Anyone who says they are the same is wrong

They are two totally different foods. One is orange and sweet and the other is whitish yellow and isnt as sweet

It's just semantics, lol. Go to supermarkets and you'll find yams labelled sweet potatoes. If everyone calls "yams" sweet potatoes, would calling them sweet potatoes wrong? No. Names are simply labels on which we tag objects so we can communicate efficiently, right?