MemberMember
(@rand0m)

Posted : 03/31/2009 1:08 pm

does anyones skin get worse after taking ground flaxseed

just want to make sure

MemberMember
(@mike_wf)

Posted : 03/31/2009 6:55 pm

yeah, a couple of people on this board have reported breakouts from flaxseed and flaxseed oil (some severe). It also seems to have helped some people. Depends on the individual.

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 03/31/2009 6:59 pm

for some reason, I always break out from fish oil and flaxseed. Those are two supplements that I personally avoid with a 9 foot pole. I think for some PUFA supplements seriously have the potential to suppress the immune system and to promote lipid peroxidation. I never get that effect simply by eating fish. If you search around in this board, there are many people who break out from fish oil supplements or flax--usually in painful cysts. But most people discount these observations.

MemberMember
(@rand0m)

Posted : 03/31/2009 7:32 pm

thank you for the responses, im going to cut flax out of my diet now

MemberMember
(@jdub45)

Posted : 03/31/2009 9:19 pm

you know... that could be possible. I may stop for a few days with mine. The more fish oil and omegas i get i think breaks me out now that i think about it

MemberMember
(@alethia)

Posted : 03/31/2009 9:25 pm

Actually, since I started eating a ton of flaxseed, I did notice my skin breaking out. I don't know if it was actually from the flaxseed or something else. Maybe I'll stop using it and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@rand0m)

Posted : 03/31/2009 10:36 pm

me too.. let me know after you test it

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 04/01/2009 12:53 am

me too.. let me know after you test it

Flaxseed is really healthy.

MemberMember
(@jdub45)

Posted : 04/01/2009 1:57 am

flaxseed is without a doubt healthy.. but breaking out can be caused by our body not agreeing with certain things, even though they are healthy. I will report back, im cutting down tonight. Although over the weekend I did have more than normal flaxseed with different omega 3 6 9 etc. and i know have the worst breakout ive had in over 4 months

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 04/01/2009 2:42 am

eddie switches oils, protein, and chicken breast every day

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 04/01/2009 10:08 am

flaxseed is without a doubt healthy.. but breaking out can be caused by our body not agreeing with certain things, even though they are healthy. I will report back, im cutting down tonight. Although over the weekend I did have more than normal flaxseed with different omega 3 6 9 etc. and i know have the worst breakout ive had in over 4 months

Are you supplementing O6's? I don't think there's any need to supplement Omega 6's. Have you read the thread pinned at the top regarding omegas? Most of us get a ton of 6's, very little 3's.

I've never tried flax, only fish. I feel flax is inferior to fish if your main reason to take it is for the omega 3, your body has to work to convert flax into a usable o3, whereas fish's o3 is immediately available.

That said, fish oil gave me an IB - it sucked. It cleared up, and then my skin was much clearer than before.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/01/2009 10:17 am

Flax seed is high in phyto-estrogens. This can help or hurt depending on your particular imbalance.

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 04/01/2009 10:24 am

Flax seed is high in phyto-estrogens. This can help or hurt depending on your particular imbalance.

Agreed. I've been taking 2 tbsp of Udo's Oil (largely flax oil) every day and it's helped me, but for some reason sat. fat (healthy ones like organic ghee and virgin coconut oil) hinder my progress or at least make my skin look worse.

MemberMember
(@devendralover)

Posted : 04/01/2009 10:35 am

I believe flaxseed is what brought on my cystic acne. By the time I realized it was the flaxseed that was causing my skin to breakout it was too late. I had bad cystic acne and started to get bad scars. I had to get on accutane to clear myself up. I would suggest cutting it out of your diet and see how your skin goes from there.

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 04/01/2009 12:43 pm

I believe flaxseed is what brought on my cystic acne. By the time I realized it was the flaxseed that was causing my skin to breakout it was too late. I had bad cystic acne and started to get bad scars. I had to get on accutane to clear myself up. I would suggest cutting it out of your diet and see how your skin goes from there.

Hm , It could be something else.

Unless your allergic to it , you will break out ;/

MemberMember
(@rand0m)

Posted : 04/05/2009 1:43 pm

actually after about 4 days of not taking flaxseed, my skin got dryer and worse i think. i experimented with omega 3 before and i guess it does help with the dry skin and inflammation

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/05/2009 4:00 pm

All those that break out from flaxseed should consider it a potential clue to their hormone imbalance. Do you also break out from soy?

MemberMember
(@rand0m)

Posted : 04/05/2009 4:19 pm

whats wrong with soy?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/05/2009 4:30 pm

whats wrong with soy?

It's another plant food that contains high amounts of phyto-estrogens. Flax and soy top the list.

So IF they break you out, it might be a clue.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 04/05/2009 4:37 pm

phyto-estrogens can be very helpful for some people. Ive had success with flax lignans @ 1 gram per day.

MemberMember
(@amberluvsblue07)

Posted : 04/06/2009 2:22 am

I too am senisitve to flax seed oil but have acheived better results by taking only one 1,000 mg pill a week instead of twice a week

MemberMember
(@clearskingoal101)

Posted : 03/23/2022 1:06 pm

I have been experimenting with different things to find how my diet affects acne and have realised that an oil supplement tablet (fish and flaxseed) increased my acne quite a lot. I've been off it for a week, and my acne has dropped and I haven't had a new spot in 3 days. I think it is worthwhile doing a intolerance and allergy test (this is what I'm doing). I think different things work for different people, experimenting with different diets is a good way to work out what accelerates acne as I had moderate acne for over 6 years and diet tweaks have suppressed it a lot recently.